Ornithology B/C

sewforlife
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by sewforlife »

amerikestrel wrote:
soobsession wrote:do all states have to have a modified list? or does it depend on how nice each state is?? cuz i just got the partial list and im freaking out about all these birds and half of my group is not really willing to work...
Half of your group? Aren't only two people allowed to an event per team?
we have a screwed up system, dont ask.
Celeste wrote:
amerikestrel wrote: Have you seen the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's website? (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/) It's more or less the same idea, but is seems to have more information and photos, and less ads.
Awesome! I was really getting sick of seeing stuff about their app. :lol: Thanks a bunch!

Also, on the official S O website, they posted a link to a training handout and a powerpoint on the ornithology page.
http://soinc.org/ornithology_c
I read through the training handout and it seems to be pretty useful!
i really like the cornell lab link.
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
EcoFreak
Division: B

Post by EcoFreak »

Hey does anybody have an example page (the one you can bring into the cometition)the could show so that I could use it to construct my own page around?
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by amerikestrel »

A great resource is Frank B. Gill's ornithology textbook. You can order in from Amazon if your willing to spend some money (http://www.amazon.com/Ornithology-Frank ... 0716724154), or you can use the preview on Google Books.

On a separate topic, what is the difference between a bill and a beak? The ornithology powerpoint said that a beak can only refer to the "hooked bill of a hawk or parrot", while a bill is more general. Everywhere else, I have read that the two terms are more or less interchangeable. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
iYOA
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

i think this might have been mentioned before, but are we allowed to write on the birds list?

and someone said it was 3 pages?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

iYOA wrote:i think this might have been mentioned before, but are we allowed to write on the birds list?

Apparently the original Bird List is 3 pages, but the one on the SOinc website is a printer friendly version intended to allow you to print it back to back on one sheet of paper.
I am awaiting a clarification on whether the official list can be written on. If it can, then it might be beneficial to print the list on 2 separate pages and add notes on the back of them.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

sewforlife wrote:
amerikestrel wrote:
soobsession wrote:do all states have to have a modified list? or does it depend on how nice each state is?? cuz i just got the partial list and im freaking out about all these birds and half of my group is not really willing to work...
Half of your group? Aren't only two people allowed to an event per team?
we have a screwed up system, dont ask.

yeah...the official ppl who are doing the events arent going to be chosen until later...its a different system....

and i just found out that our state is using the nat birds list...ugh...

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

iYOA wrote:i think this might have been mentioned before, but are we allowed to write on the birds list?

I really doubt that they would let us write on the bird list, especially since we already are allowed a page of notes.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
iYOA
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

what if you fit the bird list on one page and then make it your notes?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
gyourkoshaven

Post by gyourkoshaven »

You're allowed to bring the bird list...Along with your notes and a field guide...
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

I got my rules clarification. You CAN write on the birds list. Section 2, line 5 explicitly states, "(teams may tab the guide and write on
any of these)." That includes the bird list. Now the question would be whether we could take it to the extreme and bring in 3 pages that have the bird list and notes (handwritten) in addition to the cheat sheet.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Return to “2010 Study Events”