Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by amerikestrel »

Paradox21 wrote:I got my rules clarification. You CAN write on the birds list. Section 2, line 5 explicitly states, "(teams may tab the guide and write on
any of these)." That includes the bird list. Now the question would be whether we could take it to the extreme and bring in 3 pages that have the bird list and notes (handwritten) in addition to the cheat sheet.
Does the writing on the back of the bird list have to be handwritten, or can we type it?
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

You may create one cheat sheet with notes of any form from any source (typed, handwritten, copied directly from a text book, etc.), you may tab and handwrite in 1 field guide (2 for nationals), you may handwrite on the tabs (but that won't help much because tabs are not post-it sized but instead a small flap or strip of material attached to something, for identification and information.), you may bring one copy of the Official National Bird List and you are free to write handwritten notes on it.
Note: All of this information comes from the 6 FAQs I have submitted through SOinc for Ornithology.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

Paradox21 wrote:You may create one cheat sheet with notes of any form from any source (typed, handwritten, copied directly from a text book, etc.), you may tab and handwrite in 1 field guide (2 for nationals), you may handwrite on the tabs (but that won't help much because tabs are not post-it sized but instead a small flap or strip of material attached to something, for identification and information.), you may bring one copy of the Official National Bird List and you are free to write handwritten notes on it.
Note: All of this information comes from the 6 FAQs I have submitted through SOinc for Ornithology.
Thanks.

The only tabs that I have are red, so I wrote a letter on them to help me remember what section of my field guide they are marking. For example, I wrote O on the tab that indicates the pages for owls. Now I have to memorize all of the letters. :(
iYOA
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

amerikestrel wrote: Thanks.

The only tabs that I have are red, so I wrote a letter on them to help me remember what section of my field guide they are marking. For example, I wrote O on the tab that indicates the pages for owls. Now I have to memorize all of the letters. :(
why dont you just make a key in ur notes page, because i doubt theres enough room to put serious information.

i will use the notes sheet to probably make finding information smoother, and put anatomy, bill and feet diagrams on it
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

iYOA wrote:
amerikestrel wrote: Thanks.

why dont you just make a key in ur notes page, because i doubt theres enough room to put serious information.

i will use the notes sheet to probably make finding information smoother, and put anatomy, bill and feet diagrams on it
Good idea, I didn't think about that.
Celeste
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

So we can write directly in the guide and add written-on tabs, but are we allowed to put other handwritten information in the guides? For example, with Herpetology last year, I wrote notes on post-its and stuck them in my guide. Not as tabs, though, just flat on a page. Does anyone know if something like that would be allowed? It seems like you might be able to bend what's on the rule sheet to make that work, but I'm not positive.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

I think that was answered a few pages ago.
Celeste
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

Deeisenberg wrote:I have had my clarification answered.

You may alter the book only in the following ways:
Written Notes
Drawings
Tabs

NOTHING ELSE WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE BIRD FIELD GUIDES!
I've read all of the posts, and the closest I found to answering my question was this. It still doesn't say whether we can write on post-its and then stick them into the field guide, and neither does any other post I found. I don't want to write in the field guide I have right now, because I'm borrowing it from someone, and others might have this problem if they get their guides from the library or something. I suppose I could just have a lot of "tabs" with notes that I could just stick on random pages...
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

I wouldn't be able to imagine using a field guide from a library. At least, not from my school's library. The only field guide that they have probably has 10% of the birds that are on the list.
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

Celeste wrote:
Deeisenberg wrote:I have had my clarification answered.

You may alter the book only in the following ways:
Written Notes
Drawings
Tabs

NOTHING ELSE WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE BIRD FIELD GUIDES!
I've read all of the posts, and the closest I found to answering my question was this. It still doesn't say whether we can write on post-its and then stick them into the field guide, and neither does any other post I found. I don't want to write in the field guide I have right now, because I'm borrowing it from someone, and others might have this problem if they get their guides from the library or something. I suppose I could just have a lot of "tabs" with notes that I could just stick on random pages...
You CAN NOT just add sheets of handwritten notes into your field guide. When Deeisenberg says NOTHING ELSE WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE BIRD FIELD GUIDES! that means you may ONLY write in the guide, draw in the guide, and tab the guide. You can not add sheets of paper or post it notes.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Return to “2010 Study Events”