robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by robotman »

Well I had the problem that my string would catch on the drive axle and found the best lubricant for string was beeswax.
causes it to not stick but still have enough friction to move the axle.
And for the axles i used WD-40 or something of the same general concept
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dark Sabre »

Another traditional lubricant would be graphite powder. If one of your surfaces were porous, it would probably work longer than liquid lubricants, but for plastic on plastic I'm not sure if it would be better or worse than anything else.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

I saw a video on youtube where someone made a mousetrap car with huge wheels on the back axle and small wheels on the front axle. The interesting thing was that the rod connected to the mousetrap that pulled the car forwards was a fishing rod. The rod was like another elastic force pulling the car forward because when the mousetrap was barely , like a centimeter or two, coming up, the rod was in an arch like shape pulling the string. Also, because of the way the car was contructed(all wood, made for a tech class) the speed was reletively low.

So here is my question, could we possibly do the same?
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

This question has come up often in the past. In my opinion, the answer lies in whether or not the energy stored in the rod is derived from the mousetrap, or is in addition to it. With the mousetrap bail in the "locked and loaded" position, is the rod bent from its relaxed state? If so, it contains energy in addition to that stored in the mousetrap and therefore violates the rules. If the rod is bent only after the mousetrap is released. the energy stored in the rod is derived from the mousetrap and does not violate the rules.

This may be subject to different interpretation by diffefent judges. Only the judge at the tournament where you will compete can answer the question with any degree of certainty.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

yes, the rod is in a relaxed state before the mousetrap is set, so I will assume it does not violate any rules. ultimately this decieion does rely on the tournament judges. :oops:
ChrisYim
Division: C
State: IL

Post by ChrisYim »

hi~im new in this event so could anyone post some pictures of a mousetrap vehicle? plz and thnx
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

just go to the image gallery
edit:i don't have the link
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

The state of the rod before the mousetrap is set is irrelevant. The rod must be in a relaxed state after the mousetrap is set, but before it is released.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

fleet130 wrote:The state of the rod before the mousetrap is set is irrelevant. The rod must be in a relaxed state after the mousetrap is set, but before it is released.
by saying before the mousetrap is set i meant set off in other words released
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

does the type of string used affect the distance the car can travel?
If yes then I would llike to try sewing thread(any stiff threads) fishing line and any other stretchy type of string.

Return to “2010 Build Events”