Flight Troubles?

goblue007
Division: B
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flight Troubles?

Post by goblue007 »

I doubt that the plane is to heavy it weight about 6 grams. We were using a .95 rubber band. Th H. Stablizer is 18.5cm and our wing span is 37cm. Our flight was about an 2/3 circle to 3/4. It tried to climb but couldn't. In addition it turns left then turns to much and flips and dives. The tail is loose meaning it twists possible durng flight could that possibly have a huge impact on the overall flight?
EventsMeterology-Towers-Bottle Rockets-Awesome Aquifiers-Ecology
goblue007

Post by goblue007 »

Once again, we flew for another hour or two. The plane will "try" to climb, but it always turns starts to turn to soon. We are trying to figure it out and we are really struggled with the hole. idea. Could we adjust the horizontal stabilizer to prevent this from happening?
EventsMeterology-Towers-Bottle Rockets-Awesome Aquifiers-Ecology
Hamtown009

Post by Hamtown009 »

What designs do you like? Which ones work? Can you please put a link or a website on here for us to begin building our second plane? Thanks
2010 Events-
Wright Stuff
Bio-Process Lab
Shock Value
Pentathalon
Write it Do it
Elevated Bridge
jcollier
State: PA

Post by jcollier »

To answer your question, yes, the horizontal stabilizer could be tipped too much, causing too much of a turn. The fact that it is loose is something that you should take care of. It is difficult if not impossible to make successful adjustments when something important is loose.
planemaker
State: CA

Post by planemaker »

Hi everybody I'm new to the Wright stuff scene and i bought a kit from Freedom Flight Models. hhttp://www.freedomflightmodels.com/paypal.htm

I want to know how good(or bad) this kit is?
2010 events- Wright Stuff;Rad Scholar; and Bio Process

NORCAL 4 TW
Greg Doe

Post by Greg Doe »

I have a lot of confidence in all of the Freedom Flight products. This years WS airplane is based on
last years nationals winning airplane, with 2010 rules changes incorporated. I have every reason to
believe that this kit will produce 3 minute flights in 30 foot gyms, and close to 4 minutes in 70 foot
venues (such as the Illinois State field house). I coach, but I also fly the same designs that my
students fly, in order to learn the airplanes flight characteristics. All of the kits that are available
are good. Which one is best is hard to determine. Obviously, a good design that is poorly built,
will not fly as well as poor design that is properly built. Read and follow the instructions. Build the airplane as carefully as you can. Trim the airplane for flight, as close to the instructions as you can.
If you are having flight problems ask for help. Try to find someone locally who has indoor free
flight experience, or post your questions here. Good Luck, and let us know how successful you were.
Greg Doe
Smyrna,TN
Hamtown009

Post by Hamtown009 »

We've already built one plane so far this year and it hasn't been able to fly well, we now realize that the motor stick is bending. We are going to start a new plane tomorrow. We are thinking of using the plane that is on the freedom flight models website but we don't know for sure. Would you recommend that design (the new 2010 one)? Good luck to you all in your flights ahead.
2010 Events-
Wright Stuff
Bio-Process Lab
Shock Value
Pentathalon
Write it Do it
Elevated Bridge
Greg Doe

Post by Greg Doe »

Hamtown,
Starting over can be time consuming. First try to salvage your airplane. Try gluing a strip of wood
along the top of your motor stick to stiffen it up. Even if it picks up a little weight you can still learn a lot from the experience. I've only built one complete "proto-type" airplane this year, but I have
built a second stablizer, and a third wing for that airplane. The fuselage has the same problem as yours, and needs to be fixed, but it's good enough to use as a practice airplane. If I were to build a second airplane it would include all the modifications and improvements. My students will also benefit
from this research. Building from any kit has the benefit that the designer has already gone through
this developement process, and probably has years of experience to draw upon when designing his
airplane. Read my previous post about the capability of the Freedom Flight design. I like it, but
all the designs, and kits I have seen look good, and properly built could be winners. Good luck, and keep us posted on how things work out.
Greg Doe
Smyrna, TN
shorti96
State: NC

Post by shorti96 »

hey does anyone know how to trim a wright stuff airplane propeller
because i cant seem to find out how???
My Personal Events: Wright Stuff, Shock Value, Solar System, Pentathlon
eta150
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

The prop is flexible enough, so a razor will work just fine.
That is, if it's Ikara (which it probably should be).
#ACESWILD

Return to “Wright Stuff B”