Indiana Science Olympiad

wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Indiana Science Olympiad

Post by wlsguy »

Since I have a copy of last year's results for the Indiana State Tournement, I uploaded them to our website for all who are interested.

http://sites.google.com/site/wlsscience ... nformation
ktrujillo52
State: IN

Post by ktrujillo52 »

Cool thanks.
E Edgar

Post by E Edgar »

Yeah, thank you so much.
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
ktrujillo52

Post by ktrujillo52 »

What events are you doing Edgar? I know you're doing Fossils by looking at your avatar. My sister does fossils lol.
E Edgar

Post by E Edgar »

Well, I have a ton of conflicts so I don't really know for sure.

I will definitely do fossils, probably Astronomy, possibly physics lab, and then whatever other stuff I'm thrown into at the last minute.

What about you?
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
ktrujillo52

Post by ktrujillo52 »

I am for sure doing Anatomy, Cell bio, Disease detectives, Egg O Naut, and Mousetrap Vehicle. I might be doing Elevated bridge and I am most likely doing Technical Problem Solving.

When is your Regionals? Ours is on February 20th.
Friedoyster3
Division: C

Post by Friedoyster3 »

Dose anyone know why we are aloud to have binders in division B this year because I hate the idea. I mean why do they think we need binders. There must have been too many people complaining about loosing so they listened and changed the rules which I don't think they should do no matter what.
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
ktrujillo52

Post by ktrujillo52 »

Are you allowed to have binders in like every event?

In division C in Anatomy we are allowed to have a note sheet. When i first read the rules I thought it was bull. But actually the Endocrine system is probably why they allowed it. Too many hormones to know.

As for disease detectives...I don't understand why we get a rule sheet. I think they want to put more emphasis on synthesis. Like, applying the information that they give you rather than simply writing down stuff you memorized.
peoneill

Post by peoneill »

But I <3 hormones! I know all of them! Granted I'm 25 but... have you guys looked at my quizlet? Go to quizlet.com and search for peoneill (it'll search "quizzes" but then it will also say "did you mean quizlet user peoneill?" and you click on that and it will bring up my quizlet). I have some funsies for endocrinology there. You should all make quizlet accounts. It's awesome. My resources were distributed to all of the coaches in the state by email although I don't think many have passed them on to their students yet - perhaps because they're pretty advanced.

Cheat sheets are kind of dumb, in my eyes. I guess they allow you to skip memorizing a few things you'd otherwise have to memorize. The binders I see as much more purposeful; as a life skill constructing a thorough, usable reference tool is invaluable... perhaps even more so than having extensive knowledge of the facts and figures on instant recall. Although there's certainly something to be said for having these things memorized, people seem to undervalue how much insight you can obtain when you have your head solidly wrapped around an entire topic without having to stumble in your thoughts and keep referencing back to notes/sources, etc.
ktrujillo52

Post by ktrujillo52 »

peoneill wrote:But I <3 hormones! I know all of them! Granted I'm 25 but... have you guys looked at my quizlet? Go to quizlet.com and search for peoneill (it'll search "quizzes" but then it will also say "did you mean quizlet user peoneill?" and you click on that and it will bring up my quizlet). I have some funsies for endocrinology there. You should all make quizlet accounts. It's awesome. My resources were distributed to all of the coaches in the state by email although I don't think many have passed them on to their students yet - perhaps because they're pretty advanced.
haha i'll ask my coach if he received them, he should've given them to me!!! I'm actually starting to memorize all of the hormones though because then I could answer the questions faster. The lady that runs Anatomy at my regional competition (Purdue Calumet) usually does stations, so speed will be essential.

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”