Electronics

Primate
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electronics

Post by Primate »

Sweet. I'm crossing my fingers that some idiot runs into their breadboard at regionals, or they pump their nichrome through their breadboard. I just discovered some godsend who decided to post pictures of the device on Facebook. On second glance, it looks like it might be stripboard, but it definitely looked like a breadboard at invitationals. From what I can see, all their circuits run through this thing.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

I have yet another question: are we allowed to use transistors? :?:

Thanks.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

The rules are very clear as to what electronic things are allowed. Read and know.
Important for all events, but particularly for Mission P; know the rules, well.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

aubrey048 wrote:I have yet another question: are we allowed to use transistors? :?:

Thanks.
the electrical components can only consist of batteries, wires , motors, switches, resistors, capacitators, commercial phtotcells, and mechanical relays.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

are we allowed to use transistors?
Don't mean to pick on anybody. but this is a perfect example of why it can take a while to get official answers.

The FAQ/Clarification system is deluged with hundreds, perhaps thousands, of questions like this that are easily be answered by reading the rules. If you don't understand what they mean, asking someone locally can chop days or even weeks off getting an answer.

Although there are many people who answer questions, 1 or 2 people must coordinate and distribute the answers from those several sources. When sources disagree, a final opinion must be coordinated between the various parties. This all takes time!
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

Can someone show me how to hook up a relay, I'm really confused, I think I know how it works and all but the wiring confuses me. I bought this one ....*stupid me*
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

There should be five pins on that relay - two for the coil and one for the switch.

The switch has one common pin and a normally-open and normally-closed pin. When there is no power run across the coil (between the two coil pins), the switch makes contact between the common pin and NC pin. When you run power through the coil, the switch makes contact between the common and NO pin.

This is the diagram for the relay:

When there's no current (or less than the required current) being run through the two bottom pins on the left, the bottom right pin is switched to complete a circuit with the top left pin. When you run enough current through the bottom left pins, the coil creates an electromagnetic force great enough to flip the switch to contact the top right pin. This is the reason for the clicking heard when a relay switches - it's actually a mechanical switch.
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:Can someone show me how to hook up a relay, I'm really confused, I think I know how it works and all but the wiring confuses me. I bought this one ....*stupid me*
You may have some trouble flipping that. It looks like a 24 volt coil, and you are running off of 10 or less.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Coil rating under the specs is 12 volts, you probably could trip it with a tad less. Radioshack sells one with a 5 volt coil, that one might work better.
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

andrewwski wrote:Coil rating under the specs is 12 volts, you probably could trip it with a tad less. Radioshack sells one with a 5 volt coil, that one might work better
The Radio Shack 12v does work w/ a 9.6v cordless drill battery
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

Return to “Mission Possible C”