winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by winneratlife »

soobsession wrote:
crazy77 wrote:On the test posted on the wiki, I was having trouble with station 10 question 3 (doesn't it do both?)and station 15. Any help would be appreciated!
On Station 10, Question 3, it's referring to a Snowy Egret's behavior while hunting. I believe snowies hunt with other birds.

Station 15 is a Cooper's Hawk. It is in Class Accipitridae. Diurnal (the opposite of nocturnal), means active during the day. The bird in the lower photograph is a juvenile, I think, because of the lighter plumage on its breast and belly.

:mrgreen:
Speaking of which, if somebody wanted to make an answer key for the test on the exchange, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.
I would... BUT... I suck at this event.
sewforlife
Division: B

Post by sewforlife »

robotman's test isn't up is it?
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM
Brucester
State: PA

Post by Brucester »

Hello everyone, I'm usually a Wright Stuff poster, but am curious as to how you guys manage to fit information about nest, nest size, nest construction, eggs, egg color, egg size for every single bird onto your cheat sheet. Since you can't write on post it notes and stick them in your notes, and that amount of information on 180 birds would never fit on the cheat sheet, how are you doing this? Is there a field guide that already has these measurements? The peterson one, as already stated, is terrible for measurements. It lacks any breeding and egg info as well as wingspan and weight. I'm sure the test are going to be that picky since egg info has been on nearly every test.

Thanks,
Brucester
2011 Nationals:
3rd - Bottle Rockets
7th - Storm the Castle
7th - Towers
22nd - Experimental Design
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

sewforlife wrote:robotman's test isn't up is it?
If you mean the one he put up, I took down, and he reput up, no, it's not.
It was identical to the one already on the exchange, just as a PowerPoint.
So it is now "PowerPoint Version".
Brucester wrote:Hello everyone, I'm usually a Wright Stuff poster, but am curious as to how you guys manage to fit information about nest, nest size, nest construction, eggs, egg color, egg size for every single bird onto your cheat sheet. Since you can't write on post it notes and stick them in your notes, and that amount of information on 180 birds would never fit on the cheat sheet, how are you doing this? Is there a field guide that already has these measurements? The peterson one, as already stated, is terrible for measurements. It lacks any breeding and egg info as well as wingspan and weight. I'm sure the test are going to be that picky since egg info has been on nearly every test.

Thanks,
Brucester
Meh, I didn't. You take the risk that the stuff won't be on the test, I guess...
Also, writing in the guide helps. You probably can't fit all of those things in, but a few facts about each bird you could write in the margins of that bird's page.
Brucester

Post by Brucester »

I can't take that risk though, because at every invitational that's the kind of questions they've been asking following the identification of the bird.
2011 Nationals:
3rd - Bottle Rockets
7th - Storm the Castle
7th - Towers
duckiegirl2
Division: C
State: TX

Post by duckiegirl2 »

It usually depends on the event coordinator. Just try to use common sense, or search each bird and write it down. Not every person has the same book, and they might say different things.
THIS IS BARTA!!!
( '< ')
( v v )
Image Image <(^_~)>
zyzzyva98 wrote:Is in the city/state/county/country/planet/township/home/galaxy/etc. of taking a nap
Brucester

Post by Brucester »

I can see what you mean, but where am I going to write that kind of info? I can't fit all that in the margins on the page! There's gotta be a fix to this.... If only they allowed binders!
2011 Nationals:
3rd - Bottle Rockets
7th - Storm the Castle
7th - Towers
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Brucester wrote:I can see what you mean, but where am I going to write that kind of info? I can't fit all that in the margins on the page! There's gotta be a fix to this.... If only they allowed binders!
Solution 1: Write smaller.
Solution 2: write info on a different page with birds that aren't on the official list, then create a little directory next to the original bird telling you where to find additional info about that bird in your field guide.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
duckiegirl2
State: TX

Post by duckiegirl2 »

Yeah, or get a little sticky note and make abbreviations and write the numbers on there.
Edit: I got 1st at Regionals, and they didn't have any bird sounds. They just had the written vocals like chirp, chirp.
THIS IS BARTA!!!
( '< ')
( v v )
Image Image <(^_~)>
zyzzyva98 wrote:Is in the city/state/county/country/planet/township/home/galaxy/etc. of taking a nap
swimmmm
State: NY

Post by swimmmm »

um... are we allowed to write in the field guide and the list itself? i emailed the NY states guy and he was like you can only write on the tabs... wtf they need to make better rules...

Return to “2010 Study Events”