FAI F1D

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: FAI F1D

Post by jander14indoor »

There are a number of penny plane plans on line if you search. You want a limited penny plane to start.

F1D.BIZ or A2ZCorp (same business) have several penny plane kits ranging from beginning/easy to higher performance/harder at http://www.a2zcorp.us/store/Category.as ... er+Powered

Thanks,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Brucester
Division: B
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Brucester »

Thanks, looks good and surprisingly cheap. $17 for a limited penny plane kit. Still need to buy some sand paper though. Thanks for the info Jeff Anderson. Are the penny planes using rolled motorsticks or any other part that has to be steamed? If so, I'll have to ask my coach to use his wood steamer.

Thanks,
Brucester
2011 Nationals:
3rd - Bottle Rockets
7th - Storm the Castle
7th - Towers
22nd - Experimental Design
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

For Limited Penny Plane, rolled motor sticks not allowed. For Unlimited Penny Plane its about the only way to hit weight and be competitive.

If you are getting serious, I suggest you check the rules for yourself, AMA keeps them on-line at http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/even ... flight.pdf depending on others to interpret the words without checking for yourself is a path to disappointment. The Penny Plane and Limited Penny Plane rules are on page 6.
For F1D, you need to look at the FAI Sporting Code http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/system ... ght_10.pdf page 16.

And the low price is why I love Free Flight. If you built from your own materials and spent $17 you have materials for several planes!!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Brucester

Post by Brucester »

Alright, so I got the kit for the Penny Plane, and it came with condenser paper. It seems harder to work with and heavier than the film..... Which should I use? The film's thinner than normal, but I think it can withstand the slow moving prop's little thrust.

Thanks,
Brucester
2011 Nationals:
3rd - Bottle Rockets
7th - Storm the Castle
7th - Towers
WrightStuffMonster
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: AK

Post by WrightStuffMonster »

Brucester wrote:Alright, so I got the kit for the Penny Plane, and it came with condenser paper. It seems harder to work with and heavier than the film..... Which should I use? The film's thinner than normal, but I think it can withstand the slow moving prop's little thrust.

Thanks,
Brucester
The Ultrafilm you use for SO should be fine for Penny Plane. But if you really want some lighter stuff Ray Harlan sells (or used to I have not looked for a while) Super ultrafilm which is about 60-70% as thick as the normal ultraflim. If you go beyond that Tim Goldstein sells OS film on his webstore https://www.a2zcorp.us/store/ but its a bit tricker to work with. There are a couple films beyond that in lightness but I am not sure how large of a supply there is of it. I would not worry to much about the film. On a normal covering job the glue weights as much as the film (for me at least). I did not use a lighter film until I made an unlimited penny plane.
Image-Alaska
Eagle River High School Class 09
Nationals:
1st Wright Stuff Kansas 07
1st Robot Ramble Washington D.C. 08
Stanford University Class 2013
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

IMO the best film is penny plane plastic from Roy White. It's probably the cheapest film out there, weighs less than superultrafilm, and the amount of film you get on one roll is rediculous.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
Brucester

Post by Brucester »

I bought the Tom Goldstein .9 micro stuff. Was hard to deal with, but worth it. The plane is now complete. pics soon.

Brucester
2011 Nationals:
3rd - Bottle Rockets
7th - Storm the Castle
7th - Towers
SSANationalTeam1

Post by SSANationalTeam1 »

Brucester wrote:I bought the Tom Goldstein .9 micro stuff. Was hard to deal with, but worth it. The plane is now complete. pics soon.

Brucester
is it @ scioly today?
WrightStuffMonster
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AK

Post by WrightStuffMonster »

smartkid222 wrote:IMO the best film is penny plane plastic from Roy White. It's probably the cheapest film out there, weighs less than superultrafilm, and the amount of film you get on one roll is rediculous.
That is true. I was not sure if he was selling film still. I bought some Y2K film from him a while back which is really light and what alot of the pros use. The other nice thing was that he only charge me for shipping once he found I was in SO. I would really not recommend it for SO though. It much to fragile when compared to ultrafilm.
Image-Alaska
Eagle River High School Class 09
Nationals:
1st Wright Stuff Kansas 07
1st Robot Ramble Washington D.C. 08
Stanford University Class 2013
masterhat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by masterhat »

I've been out of Wright Stuff for a few years (since whenever it was taken out of C division), and I was wondering what would be the best way to get myself back into indoor free flight. I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago.

My Wright Stuff planes were never that great. They all topped out at about 1:30 in a regular gym but my best was actually way overbuilt (I think it was >14 grams without the motor). But I think my building skills have improved since then but it's been a while since I've built any planes except I built a towline glider for last year's state trial event. It got first, but the flight time and craftsmanship were still pretty lacking.

Return to “Wright Stuff B”