Ornithology B/C

soobsession
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by soobsession »

you can write in the actual pages of the book, yes.

i believe you can do things like number or color your list, however if you write on it it will be considered a cheat sheet... i think....

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

swimmmm
State: NY

Post by swimmmm »

WTF. NYS PERSON LIESSS! ugh i already went through 2 competitions with nothing written in my guide/list lol
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

swimmmm wrote:WTF. NYS PERSON LIESSS! ugh i already went through 2 competitions with nothing written in my guide/list lol
That was my interpretation of the rules. We numbered our list and the proctor didnt really seem to mind. If your NYS person says its not allowed, I'd suggest you don't do it...

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

According to the National rules, my interpretation is that you can write on the front of your bird list without calling it your cheat sheet. If you write on the back, you have to call it one side of a cheat sheet and you could have another sheet with 1 side of notes. In New York they could be running the event differently. http://soinc.org/node/502 addresses the issue.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
courage7856
State: IL

Post by courage7856 »

I was at an invite yesterday, and the same team was running Ornithology as did at the other invite I went to. The test was extremely similar (though not identical, but I was more prepared this time) to the first one. At the end, the coach running gave me and my partner a few tips because he remembered us from the invite before, and is friends with our coaches. One extremely helpful thing he pointed out (not related to the test. It didn't help us with the questions, or else that wouldn't be fair) was that male waterfowl tend to have a few curled back feathers, as he pointed out to us on a Mallard. I didn't see this in any of my studying, and just thought it was something interesting to share.
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
sciolygrl258
State: PA

Post by sciolygrl258 »

Can you have alot of tabs on one page with info on them? :?
PA STATES 2012:
Optics: 3rd
Experimental Design: 5th

Team: 1st!!!!! XDD

17 hr bus drive to Orlando? I think yes! ^o^
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

sciolygrl258 wrote:Can you have alot of tabs on one page with info on them? :?
Not sure, (although probably not) but why would you? Just write on the guide itself.
Celeste
State: NE

Post by Celeste »

That could theoretically be a loophole, because you are allowed to write on the tabs. You could just write a couple of words on each tab that make up a whole sentence, as long as they're technically still little tabs, and just have a zillion. You would have to make sure they stick out so that they function as tabs. Anyone else think this is legit? Or I might just be being ridiculous...
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

Celeste wrote:
That could theoretically be a loophole, because you are allowed to write on the tabs. You could just write a couple of words on each tab that make up a whole sentence, as long as they're technically still little tabs, and just have a zillion. You would have to make sure they stick out so that they function as tabs. Anyone else think this is legit? Or I might just be being ridiculous...
Definite legit loophole... Or not...
The problem with loopholes is that they really don't work in SciOly because everything is up to the even supervisor...
sciolygrl258
State: PA

Post by sciolygrl258 »

I think the safest way is to just write on the guide. I was just wondering if anyone else thought that it was legit. Technically i think that it is. But I don't want to get dqed because of something really stupid. It takes so long to write all the info of all the birds. The Peterson field guide lacks alot of nesting info and measurements. :| if only we could take binders...
PA STATES 2012:
Optics: 3rd
Experimental Design: 5th

Team: 1st!!!!! XDD

17 hr bus drive to Orlando? I think yes! ^o^

Return to “2010 Study Events”