Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Indiana Science Olympiad

Post by ktrujillo52 »

Haha I tried climbing the tree too.
Was it the first huge tree?

I sure hope we make wildcard (we call it semi state because the connotation is far more positive rofl). Actually like 5 ppl that were at Regionals had just been recruited the week before the competition, mostly for the chem events like Chem Lab and Environmental Chemistry, but for other events like cell bio and exp design as well...and they had never done scioly before. So now we are meeting everyday before and after school to practice.

How does "semi state" work? Does Ivy tech do a good job running it?
ktrujillo52

Post by ktrujillo52 »

@ Edgar

Yes I barely have time to study...actually I finished egg o naut and mousetrap the night before. I had been working on mousetrap that entire week and I had State for Academic Decathlon the week before, I couldn't study for any events!!!! omg and I didn't find my cell bio notes until saturday morning...and never found my disease detectives notes...
yayo91
Division: C

Post by yayo91 »

yea it was that one...

that happened to us too...we had to go get a sophomore two weeks ago and slapped her on forensics and write it do it...she did really well too...

but it actually is run pretty well definitely better than iupui ran state last year. but its just a typical tournament with a lot less schools. the campus is really nice too..and the best part about it is that they separate the division b and division c award ceremonies....

btw did u realize that the cell bio test was the same as last year
ktrujillo52

Post by ktrujillo52 »

I didn't do cell bio last year lol. Not surprised, disease detectives was like that, and most of technical problem solving was like that, and from what I hear so was experimental design, WTF. The event supervisors at purdue suck massive d***, my Anatomy supervisor told us she didn't even read the rules...and I could've guessed that. I hate judges that don't know how to administer events. She let the two whiting teams sit next to each other, I have seen judges at other tournaments tell the A and B teams to sit separately.

That first tree was massive, I was surprised our parachute glided over it. I asked the judges if we could launch in the parking lot and they said no lol.
Sir_L_Jenkins

Post by Sir_L_Jenkins »

By the way, are any other competitions giving away medals for places 1-5? At vincennes they did something weird where they gave medals up to 5th place (not just ribbons either) even though there were only 8ish teams there. It kinda seemed bittersweet in the sense that other schools have a chance to medal more which would make them happy and whatnot, however it also depletes the purpose of medaling a bit as you can still get one when you're below average. It would be interesting as to whether this is a new trend, or something that vincennes did by itself.
*Ahem*
Mentlegen.
yayo91

Post by yayo91 »

yea dude chem lab and forensics were horrible...chem lab was just two labs that required no background in chemistry and as long as you could graph some data and interpret your results you would have placed. it was sad really. i was pretty upset but o well...

whiting a and b always sit next to each other. they did in cell bio forensics ecology and chem lab....they should really start saying something to them...

wat got me the most was how on the results sheets, whiting won in every event except two. clearly they didnt get that many medals. we thought we beat them and were gonna get second. we feel cheated.

@Sir_L_Jenkins: purdue cal gave 1-5
Sir_L_Jenkins

Post by Sir_L_Jenkins »

yayo91 wrote: @Sir_L_Jenkins: purdue cal gave 1-5
Hmm interesting, I wonder if this will continue next year, or perhaps State will now feature 1-7 places or something as a tier up from State, haha.
*Ahem*
Mentlegen.
yayo91

Post by yayo91 »

that would be interesting. it would take A LOT longer tho. especially for you good teams waiting to see if they are going to nationals..
ktrujillo52

Post by ktrujillo52 »

We thought u guys had 2nd for sure. And in anatomy the two whiting teams were giving answers to each other. Thats bogus.
yayo91

Post by yayo91 »

so did we. we were peed off when they called us for third. ironic thing is we had us beating them by six..and they "beat" us by six. idk wat happened. i wish for once we could have beaten them at regionals. but ill never get that chance again.

thats crazy i would have been very upset

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”