jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flight Times

Post by jander14indoor »

Ding, ding, ding, you PASS THE TEST!

er,

uh,

or maybe I made a boo, boo.

Naaaahhh, it was a test, that's the ticket, a test. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And glad I could help. Hitting weight is EASY with a good BOM.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
planemaker
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by planemaker »

Hi
im using a freedom flight model kit
getting 45 seconds with 500 winds???
Very bad covering
Should i try to put more winds in and see what happens or build another wing???
2010 events- Wright Stuff;Rad Scholar; and Bio Process

NORCAL 4 TW
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

planemaker wrote:Hi
im using a freedom flight model kit
getting 45 seconds with 500 winds???
Very bad covering
Should i try to put more winds in and see what happens or build another wing???
We need to know what size rubber you are using. But any rubber of appropriate size for an Ikara prop should take well over 500 winds (assuming you meant 500 winds on the rubber, not 500 turns of the winder).

What do you mean by bad covering? As I understand the Freedom Flight kits include Mylar, which is a good covering, so did you use something else, or did you mean you didn't put it on very well?

It sounds like you're new, so I would say the first thing to do is to weigh the plane. You need to get near 7g to be competitive. If you are significantly overweight, your plane can not fly well. Next, lube your rubber (with Armor All original formula, for example. Look in the Rubber thread) and put in way more winds. I easily get 1350 winds into 0.090" rubber, and I think you could probably get even more in. Then trim and fly. As I understand the Freedom Flight kit has a 15cm chord wing and laser cut ribs, so unless you had poor craftsmanship I don't think the wing is to blame.

Others may be able to lend more assistance, but I hope I could help.
In full color since 2006
leetx
State: CA

Post by leetx »

jander14indoor wrote:Ding, ding, ding, you PASS THE TEST!
Yeah, I passed the test!
Brucester
State: PA

Post by Brucester »

The winning time at Solon was 2:52 by Bala Cynwood. I agree with Jeff, it's going to be really competitive at nationals, and I bet people will hit 4 minutes.
2011 Nationals:
3rd - Bottle Rockets
7th - Storm the Castle
7th - Towers
22nd - Experimental Design
eta150

Post by eta150 »

Actually, it was 2:46 (my plane). I agree that it will be way higher at nats, because, having approached 3 minutes in a ~20 foot gym, a 98 foot field house should give a significant increase.
P.S. It's Bala Cynwyd
#ACESWILD
goblue007
State: MI

Post by goblue007 »

jander said, Trim. Where's your cg with respect to your wing (either leading or trailing edge)? What angle of attack are your wing and tail at? Prop offsets? Wing offsets? Wing twist? Tail offset? Etc. In flight, is your plane on the edge of a stall, or over stabil? Dutch roll? Flight attitude (nose or tail high, wings level, rolled into or out of turn). Also, etc.

ok, the cg is on the trailing edge, the angle of attack is the leading edge is about a 1/4 in above the trailing, the wing is off set of the right and the their is not very much twist ( we are using the 2010 freedom flight model)
EventsMeterology-Towers-Bottle Rockets-Awesome Aquifiers-Ecology
eta150

Post by eta150 »

The way the plane flies is important too. You can tell a lot of the problems with trim by seeing if it's stalling, turning too quickly, or flying very flat, smooth, and stable.
#ACESWILD
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

goblue007 wrote:jander said, Trim. Where's your cg with respect to your wing (either leading or trailing edge)? What angle of attack are your wing and tail at? Prop offsets? Wing offsets? Wing twist? Tail offset? Etc. In flight, is your plane on the edge of a stall, or over stabil? Dutch roll? Flight attitude (nose or tail high, wings level, rolled into or out of turn). Also, etc.

ok, the cg is on the trailing edge, the angle of attack is the leading edge is about a 1/4 in above the trailing, the wing is off set of the right and the their is not very much twist ( we are using the 2010 freedom flight model)
Unless you have a partner posting under another aim, this is kind of out of the blue, since your last post was in Dec, so I'm not sure what the question is???

CG location is in at least the ball park, but the wing angle of attack seems a little extreme. Wing offset, discussing this on another string, not sure which "right" you mean. If looking at the plane from the front, OK, if from the rear, or as if a pilot sitting in the motor stick its backwords.

Like eta150 said, how's the plane behaving?

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
eta150

Post by eta150 »

I think his partner was hamtown.
#ACESWILD

Return to “Wright Stuff B”