Junkyard Challenge B

without
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Junkyard Challenge B

Post by without »

I would ask for a rules clarification, but i think that if the bar starts moving from a resting state, it constitutes a trip.
StampingKid wrote:Done building and now have started worrying. Here's my question--What constitutes a trip? The rules do not say tripped but "must trip" and notes the tripping mechanism. My device uses an arm attached to the kill bar on the north trap to pull a string and trip the south trap. However, the bar does not allow the kill bar on the north trap to fully rotate 180 degrees-- more like 60=75 degrees. Without specifying fully trip or rotated 180 degrees, I think that once the tripping mechanism is set off the trap is tripped.
Ornithology (1st place)
Fossils (2nd place, 3rd place)
Anatomy (3rd place)
Junkyard Challenge (3rd place)
READ THE [wiki][/wiki]
If all else fails, there is an idiot nearby to blame it on-Me
I'm a guy.
As long as wikipedia isn't wrong...
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

StampingKid wrote:Done building and now have started worrying. Here's my question--What constitutes a trip? The rules do not say tripped but "must trip" and notes the tripping mechanism. My device uses an arm attached to the kill bar on the north trap to pull a string and trip the south trap. However, the bar does not allow the kill bar on the north trap to fully rotate 180 degrees-- more like 60=75 degrees. Without specifying fully trip or rotated 180 degrees, I think that once the tripping mechanism is set off the trap is tripped.
Well how about taking your example to an extreme, do you think it would be consider "tripping" the mousetrap if the bar only moved a few millimeters from 179 to 180 degrees? If yes, then your method would be fine. If no, then maybe you should reconsider the design of your device.

I am always wary of trying to interpret the rules for myself.
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TX

Post by brobo »

yes, the rule book says no "interperting the rules to our own advantage". Whover, I would say that as long as if you remove the item keeping the bar from rotating the full 180 degrees, and the bar DOES continue rotating, that would be a trip. I think the definition of a trip is when you remove the bar keeping the other bar from rotating. Mine doesn't always rotate a full 180 degrees, but they always count it as a trip.
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.
StampingKid

Post by StampingKid »

I too would have no problem with the distance travelled if it was clear that tripping mechanism was cleared even if it was less than 1 degree as the trap is no longer restrained. It is doubtful that any trap rotates a full 180 degrees as the base sets the diameter and the kill bar is above it on both ends. I think the design is within the spirit of the rules and not a forced interpretation to my advantage.
I WILL RETURN TO PHILMONT IN JULY!
07 Reg 1st BLG, 3rd WV.
08 Reg 1st Twr, 2nd BLG
State 1st Twr
09 Reg 1st WS, PSL and Crave the Wave, 2nd Robo-X, EB
State 1st EB, 3rd WS
10 Reg 1st EB, PSL, 2nd WS, Disease Det., 3rd Traj.
State 1st EB, PSL, 2nd WS, 3rd Disease Det.
without
State: AL

Post by without »

As long as it is obvious that the bar has moved, it should count, but i would submit a rules clarification.
StampingKid wrote:I too would have no problem with the distance traveled if it was clear that tripping mechanism was cleared even if it was less than 1 degree as the trap is no longer restrained. It is doubtful that any trap rotates a full 180 degrees as the base sets the diameter and the kill bar is above it on both ends. I think the design is within the spirit of the rules and not a forced interpretation to my advantage.
Ornithology (1st place)
Fossils (2nd place, 3rd place)
Anatomy (3rd place)
Junkyard Challenge (3rd place)
READ THE [wiki][/wiki]
If all else fails, there is an idiot nearby to blame it on-Me
I'm a guy.
As long as wikipedia isn't wrong...
Deathshadow5
State: PA

Post by Deathshadow5 »

in junkyard challange, with the mousetraps and golf ball do they measure the trapes from the closest side, in the center of the trap or on the far side? :roll:
cooltiger

Post by cooltiger »

Deathshadow5 wrote:in junkyard challange, with the mousetraps and golf ball do they measure the trapes from the closest side, in the center of the trap or on the far side? :roll:
Its in the rules, the point on the mousetrap that is closest to the center, will be used to mesure.
2010 Western LI Regionals: 1st Place@
Battery Buggy: 3rd Place
Junkyard Challenge: 4th Place
Road Scholar: 2nd Place

2010 NY State: 6th
Battery Buggy: 9
Junkyard Challenge: 5th
Road Scholar: 6th
Car of Tommorow: 11th
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by brobo »

At least that what they're SUPPOSED to do. At the last tournament I went to they measured from the center. Be prepaired to do whatever they tell you to do.
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

Ubuntu is awesome.
twiggy_7

Post by twiggy_7 »

can you bring scissors or are they considered dangerous?
Also who will mark where the mouse traps go you or the judge?
And my device is elevated and my mouse traps are on the ground is this legal?
Experimental design 1st
Science crime busters 2nd
Bio process lab 3rd
Junkyard challenge 5th
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by brobo »

twiggy_7 wrote:can you bring scissors or are they considered dangerous?
Yah, you can bring them, as long as they aren't really sharp. Razor blades are considered dangerous, but you shouldn't need to bring those.
twiggy_7 wrote:Also who will mark where the mouse traps go you or the judge?
The only thing the judges do is tell you where they need to go. When you get there, they'll tell you the distance and the direction, then YOU have to mark them, or you may decide not to mark them at all. What I do is I mark off the distance with a piece of duct tape and show the judges that my mousetraps line up with the duct tape; that way, all the judges have to do is measure to the duct tape after my device finishes operating.
twiggy_7 wrote:And my device is elevated and my mouse traps are on the ground is this legal?
Yup. Mine is too. You have to mark your center point on the ground, even if thats not where you will be dropping the ball. Just mark on the ground directly below your "center point" and that will be where the judges measure from. But your mousetraps could be elevated, too, if you wanted. The judges don't really care about elevation.
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

Ubuntu is awesome.

Return to “2010 Build Events”