Astronomy C

Unome
Division: C
State: GA

Re: Astronomy C

Postby Unome » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:08 pm

AlphaTauri wrote:I also wrote this test! (syo also helped with this one.)

I think I made it a bit too difficult for a Regionals... again. Sorry.

Scored 71-74 depending on credit for ambiguous answers. This test was significantly harder than MIT.

How does #73 work? I came up with all sorts of nonsensical answers but couldn't figure out what to do to combine the orbits.

Also what's going on with #35? Pretty sure those are supernovae spectra
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School

2018 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives, Fermi Questions, Herpetology, Materials Science, Remote Sensing

AlphaTauri
Division: Grad
State: PA

Postby AlphaTauri » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:02 am

Unome wrote:Scored 71-74 depending on credit for ambiguous answers. This test was significantly harder than MIT.

Not every invite has to be impossible, you know :P (Honestly, I think Tad/Donna do a much better job of difficulty than I do.)

How does #73 work? I came up with all sorts of nonsensical answers but couldn't figure out what to do to combine the orbits.

Find the radii of both orbits around the center of mass via (I should have specified circular orbits), and average them to get half the major axis.

I derped and put the wrong image on the image sheet. ("Oh right, the spectra question. Must be this picture, right?") I'll upload a fixed version...

Edit: Fixed.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Unome

Postby Unome » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:08 am

AlphaTauri wrote:
Unome wrote:Scored 71-74 depending on credit for ambiguous answers. This test was significantly harder than MIT.

Not every invite has to be impossible, you know :P (Honestly, I think Tad/Donna do a much better job of difficulty than I do.)

Agreed, but we also didn't need ~15% of the teams over 80%.

AlphaTauri wrote:

Find the radii of both orbits around the center of mass via (I should have specified circular orbits), and average them to get half the major axis.

Oh I forgot to half it... ;-; rip 6 points
Userpage

2018 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives, Fermi Questions, Herpetology, Materials Science, Remote Sensing

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:04 am

AlphaTauri wrote:

Tbh your tests are the best, period (including nats) (well besides maybe nats 2016 that one was really good) (but other than that I've learned way more from yours than any others).
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)
UMass Amherst (2017-2021)

"After many years, perhaps someone may search our names in a page of the history book."

Unome

Postby Unome » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:18 am

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:

Tbh your tests are the best, period (including nats) (well besides maybe nats 2016 that one was really good) (but other than that I've learned way more from yours than any others).

Hm, I thought the Nationals and MIT tests were of slightly better quality, but also generally easier than this one. The use of images and interpretation that they build into their math is probably part of it - although, can't really go hard on math for a regional. On this one it did seem like there was almost nothing between questions 51-70 below mid-difficulty though.
Userpage

sciolyPA

Postby sciolyPA » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Does anyone have the period-luminosity relationship for type II cepheids? I can only find type I.

Unome

Postby Unome » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:29 pm

sciolyPA wrote:Does anyone have the period-luminosity relationship for type II cepheids? I can only find type I.

Generally I just use a Type I relationship and add another 1.6 to the absolute magnitude.
Userpage

Ten086
State: -

Postby Ten086 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:30 am

AlphaTauri wrote:

I derped and put the wrong image on the image sheet. ("Oh right, the spectra question. Must be this picture, right?") I'll upload a fixed version...

Edit: Fixed.

LOL so I took this with my partner for practice--when we started the test, you hadn't uploaded the fixed version yet, so I was pretty confused on those questions. Later in the test I accidentally closed the window and had to reopen it, and didn't notice that the image had changed. When we were going through our answers, I looked at that question again and was so shook because the image was different, and I thought I was out of my mind because I had no idea what I'd been looking at before--then I saw the forums today :')

I thought it was a rly good test, I missed like everything because I'm bad (quote my partner: "how did you put neutron star for a question where the answer was rotational energy????") but it was really good practice, so thank you for posting it! :v
Just trying my best...

Unome

Postby Unome » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:37 am

Upon reading a few papers - higher metallicity implies a dimmer Cepheid than predicted by the Leavitt relationship? I notice that a higher metallicity corresponds with a lower distance modulus, but for some reason I'm having trouble interpreting the latter.
Userpage

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Postby antoine_ego » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:02 am

Unome wrote:Upon reading a few papers - higher metallicity implies a dimmer Cepheid than predicted by the Leavitt relationship? I notice that a higher metallicity corresponds with a lower distance modulus, but for some reason I'm having trouble interpreting the latter.

Distance modulus is defined as m-M=mu, where m is the apparent magnitude and M is the absolute. For a given m, having a lower distance modulus implies that M is greater than expected. This makes sense with the metallicity, since a Type II Cepheid is typically 1.6 magnitudes dimmer, and thus has a greater absolute magnitude (recall that the absolute magnitude increases, as luminosity decreases).
Rest in Peace Len Joeris

2018 Placings
MIT/Yale/States/Nationals
Astronomy: 10 / 3 / 4 /
Hovercraft: 30 / 1 / 1 /
Mousetrap: 3 / 5 / 1 /
Optics - / - / 2 / -
WIDI: - / - / - /

Unome

Postby Unome » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:13 pm

antoine_ego wrote:
Unome wrote:Upon reading a few papers - higher metallicity implies a dimmer Cepheid than predicted by the Leavitt relationship? I notice that a higher metallicity corresponds with a lower distance modulus, but for some reason I'm having trouble interpreting the latter.

Distance modulus is defined as m-M=mu, where m is the apparent magnitude and M is the absolute. For a given m, having a lower distance modulus implies that M is greater than expected. This makes sense with the metallicity, since a Type II Cepheid is typically 1.6 magnitudes dimmer, and thus has a greater absolute magnitude (recall that the absolute magnitude increases, as luminosity decreases).

Ah, forgot about Type II... thanks.
Userpage

Ten086
State: -

Postby Ten086 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:56 pm

What is the Astro test at nationals usually like? Do they go crazy with scientific papers and obscure info or anything like that, or is it usually pretty reasonable?
Just trying my best...

jonboyage

Postby jonboyage » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Ten086 wrote:What is the Astro test at nationals usually like? Do they go crazy with scientific papers and obscure info or anything like that, or is it usually pretty reasonable?

As far as I know, they do a good job with making sure you get some free points balanced with some general math and a few tougher more specific questions. However, some of the others here may have more experience than me so I may only have been exposed to the fair tests. I'm still expecting a reasonably challenging test that will test your knowledge fairly.
Bayard Rustin High School! :D

I am in a bin

Adi1008
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Postby Adi1008 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:35 am

Ten086 wrote:What is the Astro test at nationals usually like? Do they go crazy with scientific papers and obscure info or anything like that, or is it usually pretty reasonable?

In my (admittedly very limited experience) nationals tests don't cover any esoteric information about research papers. In my sophomore year, I made a huge deal out of reading research papers for nationals and I think what helped me was the concepts I learned from them, not the fact that they are research papers. Figures/charts from research papers tend to show up (at least in 2016) but the questions that accompany them can be answered without any knowledge of the research paper itself by applying concepts and thinking really hard.

I think a good way to think about the nationals test is as a harder MIT test in terms of preparing as they are written by the same group of people.
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Seven Lakes High School '18

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Postby Alex-RCHS » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:45 pm

What values do you normally use for the Hubble Constant?
Raleigh Charter High School, 2018
2018 State Results
Team - 2
Microbe Mission - 1
Astronomy - 2
Remote Sensing - 2
Mousetrap Vehicle - 7 :(
Thermodynamics - 9 :cry:

Return to “Study Events”