Astronomy C

outside{box}
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by outside{box} »

Hi! I'm new to Astronomy and I was wondering if someone could help point me towards some resources. I dove right in, so I'm aware of some of the basics, but I could use any help I could get. Thank you!
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

outside{box} wrote:Hi! I'm new to Astronomy and I was wondering if someone could help point me towards some resources. I dove right in, so I'm aware of some of the basics, but I could use any help I could get. Thank you!
The best resource is probably just sheet Wikipedia. Take your own notes, and don't rely too much on copy and paste. For DSOs, have lots of images in different wavelengths. Decide whether you want to use a binder or computer, binders can be faster to navigate, but can only hold so much and use a lot of ink, and computers can hold more, but are slower to use.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

While I have time randomly for 5 minutes, how is studying going? Glad to see some new people getting into astro as usual too:)
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

syo_astro wrote:While I have time randomly for 5 minutes, how is studying going? Glad to see some new people getting into astro as usual too:)
I've yet to acclimatize myself sufficiently with the DSOs to be able to ID them on sight, nor have I gotten into most of the newer topics this year... but I really don't need to until MIT so I've been working on other events after finishing DSO sheets.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jonboyage

Post by jonboyage »

syo_astro wrote:While I have time randomly for 5 minutes, how is studying going? Glad to see some new people getting into astro as usual too:)
Lots of learning and lots of interesting stuff oh boy oh boy.
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
orangewhale
State: MN

Post by orangewhale »

I'm mostly panicking, I haven't gotten all the DSOs yet or the new stuff and I've got my first invitational in a month
raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by raxu »

Hello all! Has anyone seen a problem using the math form of Planck's Law? It seems really intimidating :|
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.
jonboyage

Post by jonboyage »

raxu wrote:Hello all! Has anyone seen a problem using the math form of Planck's Law? It seems really intimidating :|
I personally have not seen a problem with that, but I don't see why you shouldn't try to learn it.. It just describes the energy using certain parameters. For example, if you know both the frequency of the light and the temperature of the blackbody, you would be able to find the energy at that frequency. It is a very intimidating equation, but in reality you can just plug things in and get an answer. I see this being more relevant with remote sensing, however.
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Are we expected to use calculus with Kepler's Laws? The stuff that Wikipedia has on that is quite daunting.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by lumosityfan »

PM2017 wrote:Are we expected to use calculus with Kepler's Laws? The stuff that Wikipedia has on that is quite daunting.
Not at all; the calculus is really just there for you to understand the theoretical underpinnings of Kepler's Laws. Kepler's Laws usually will be used in application with a certain orbital configuration given and for you to figure out certain aspects of that orbit (for instance mass of the star(s), semimajor axis, period, certain peculiarities that come from that, etc.)
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)

Return to “2018 Study Events”