Disease Detectives B/C

Killboe
Member
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:04 pm
Division: B
State: FL
Location: River City Science Academy
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Killboe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Can somebody tell me how do you find variance in a 2x2 contingency table. Or give an example, I'm finding it hard to.
Last edited by Killboe on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 River City Science Academy
2018 Events
Disease Detectives and Battery Buggy
    2018 Results
Inv/Regionals/States/Nats
DD:1/1/3/_
BB:1/3/3/_

1st year doing Science Olympiad

Total Awards: 6

User avatar
Nerd_Bunny
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:36 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Location: 221B Baker Street
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Nerd_Bunny » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:50 am

Anyone know the raw scores from last year's division C national test? I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm curious to see where my current partner and I would've placed. :)
Events: Chemistry Lab, A&P, Disease Detectives
2017 Placings
States/Nationals
RFTS: 1/37
DD: 1/16
A&P:1/31
Ecology: -/59 haha I bet you can guess what happened here...

2018 Placings
NEBO/States/Nationals
A&P: 1/1/
Chem Lab: 5/1/
DD: 1/1/

If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

Killboe
Member
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:04 pm
Division: B
State: FL
Location: River City Science Academy
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Killboe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Anyone know the raw scores from last year's division C national test? I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm curious to see where my current partner and I would've placed. :)


Well, you guys got 59th in Disease last year. But I don't know the raw scores. I would suggest going over the test and seeing if you don't know anything.
2018 River City Science Academy
2018 Events
Disease Detectives and Battery Buggy
    2018 Results
Inv/Regionals/States/Nats
DD:1/1/3/_
BB:1/3/3/_

1st year doing Science Olympiad

Total Awards: 6

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:33 pm
Division: B
State: ID
Location: Waiting for next season
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Tailsfan101 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Killboe wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:Anyone know the raw scores from last year's division C national test? I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm curious to see where my current partner and I would've placed. :)


Well, you guys got 59th in Disease last year. But I don't know the raw scores. I would suggest going over the test and seeing if you don't know anything.

Actually, Killboe, Nerd_Bunny was on our Division B team last year (and was partners with me :D ), where we got 16th. I believe one kid on our high school team was doing it alone, and from what he told me, he didn't have time to complete the test.

You can find the raw scores for all National events by purchasing the Division C test packets on soinc.org.
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki (Division B)
2018
State/Nats
Crime: 1/35
Road: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

2017
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

Hopeful 2019 events: Road Scholar, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Heredity
Assassinator for game #118

Killboe
Member
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:04 pm
Division: B
State: FL
Location: River City Science Academy
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Killboe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Killboe wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:Anyone know the raw scores from last year's division C national test? I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm curious to see where my current partner and I would've placed. :)


Well, you guys got 59th in Disease last year. But I don't know the raw scores. I would suggest going over the test and seeing if you don't know anything.

Actually, Killboe, Nerd_Bunny was on our Division B team last year (and was partners with me :D ), where we got 16th. I believe one kid on our high school team was doing it alone, and from what he told me, he didn't have time to complete the test.

You can find the raw scores for all National events by purchasing the Division C test packets on soinc.org.




Oh ok my bad
2018 River City Science Academy
2018 Events
Disease Detectives and Battery Buggy
    2018 Results
Inv/Regionals/States/Nats
DD:1/1/3/_
BB:1/3/3/_

1st year doing Science Olympiad

Total Awards: 6

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » Wed May 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Now that I'm going to C div, how different is B from C?

Excelsior
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 2:45 am
Division: B
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Excelsior » Thu May 10, 2018 3:18 am

Actually, I had the same question as well, though from what I've heard, it's mainly the statistical calculations that are different. According to the current rules, for Division C "May include recognizing and accounting for potential sources of error, direct and indirect rate adjustment, stratified analysis (e.g., Mantel-Haenszel test) and use of statistical methods to describe data and test hypothesis involving qualitative and quantitative data." (3. e. ii.). This seems to be the only difference between the Division B and C rule sheets.

Also, some of my friends in Division C have told me that there is an even stronger focus on the case study portion than in Division B.

And of course, obviously the tests are harder in general.

Hope that helps! Feel free to add more, as I myself am going to Division C next year and would love more info.
2016-2017 - Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Fast Facts, Mission Possible
2017-2018 - Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Thermodynamics, Disease Detectives, Microbe Mission

"Look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious." - Stephen Hawking

User avatar
acidbeaker
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:50 am
Division: B
State: CA
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby acidbeaker » Wed May 16, 2018 12:24 am

As someone from Division B who's entering Division C, what are some major differences, or things that I need to know for Div. C that wouldn't be found in Div. B? I know that there's some statistics involved, but anything specific would be greatly appreciated.
2016 (B)
Wind Power, Disease Detectives

2017 (B)
Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology

2018 (B)
Thermodynamics, Experimental Design, Potions & Poisons, Detector Building (SoCal Trial)

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 am

acidbeaker wrote:As someone from Division B who's entering Division C, what are some major differences, or things that I need to know for Div. C that wouldn't be found in Div. B? I know that there's some statistics involved, but anything specific would be greatly appreciated.

See the post above you ;) Also some specifics to study are chi-squared tests, Fischer's exact test, double blind studies, biases, p-values, confidence intervals, null/alternative hypotheses, etc.

sourpatchkids
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:29 am
State: -
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby sourpatchkids » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Where can I find information on what to study for next years topic (which will most likely be environmental quality)?

User avatar
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:32 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby venules » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:28 pm

sourpatchkids wrote:Where can I find information on what to study for next years topic (which will most likely be environmental quality)?

Most of the generic/conceptual information (outbreak investigation, epidemics, etc.) is the same every year, but topical questions differ. You can look at some of the practice tests on the wiki related to environmental quality (2013/2014) to get a feel for the kinds of questions asked. The wiki itself is still incomplete, so you can search for practice tips or resources online (just search "disease detectives environmental quality").
North Mecklenburg High School c/o 19


Return to “Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests