Disease Detectives B/C

Killboe
Division: B
State: FL

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Killboe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Can somebody tell me how do you find variance in a 2x2 contingency table. Or give an example, I'm finding it hard to.
Last edited by Killboe on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 River City Science Academy
2018 Events
Disease Detectives and Battery Buggy
    2018 Results
Inv/Regionals/States/Nats
DD:1/1/3/_
BB:1/3/3/_

1st year doing Science Olympiad

Total Awards: 6

Nerd_Bunny
Division: C
State: ID

Postby Nerd_Bunny » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:50 am

Anyone know the raw scores from last year's division C national test? I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm curious to see where my current partner and I would've placed. :)
Events: Chemistry Lab, A&P, Disease Detectives
2017 Placings
States/Nationals
RFTS: 1/37
DD: 1/16
A&P:1/31
Ecology: -/59 haha I bet you can guess what happened here...

2018 Placings
NEBO/States/Nationals
A&P: 1/1/
Chem Lab: 5/1/
DD: 1/1/

If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

Killboe

Postby Killboe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Anyone know the raw scores from last year's division C national test? I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm curious to see where my current partner and I would've placed. :)

Well, you guys got 59th in Disease last year. But I don't know the raw scores. I would suggest going over the test and seeing if you don't know anything.
2018 Events
    2018 Results

Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: ID

Postby Tailsfan101 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Killboe wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:Anyone know the raw scores from last year's division C national test? I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm curious to see where my current partner and I would've placed. :)

Well, you guys got 59th in Disease last year. But I don't know the raw scores. I would suggest going over the test and seeing if you don't know anything.

Actually, Killboe, Nerd_Bunny was on our Division B team last year (and was partners with me :D ), where we got 16th. I believe one kid on our high school team was doing it alone, and from what he told me, he didn't have time to complete the test.

You can find the raw scores for all National events by purchasing the Division C test packets on soinc.org.
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki (Division B)
State/Nats
Crime: 1/35
Road: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

Hopeful 2019 events: Road Scholar, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Heredity
Assassinator for game #118

Killboe

Postby Killboe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Killboe wrote:

Actually, Killboe, Nerd_Bunny was on our Division B team last year (and was partners with me :D ), where we got 16th. I believe one kid on our high school team was doing it alone, and from what he told me, he didn't have time to complete the test.

You can find the raw scores for all National events by purchasing the Division C test packets on soinc.org.

Oh ok my bad
2018 Events
    2018 Results

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » Wed May 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Now that I'm going to C div, how different is B from C?

Excelsior
State: TX

Postby Excelsior » Thu May 10, 2018 3:18 am

Actually, I had the same question as well, though from what I've heard, it's mainly the statistical calculations that are different. According to the current rules, for Division C "May include recognizing and accounting for potential sources of error, direct and indirect rate adjustment, stratified analysis (e.g., Mantel-Haenszel test) and use of statistical methods to describe data and test hypothesis involving qualitative and quantitative data." (3. e. ii.). This seems to be the only difference between the Division B and C rule sheets.

Also, some of my friends in Division C have told me that there is an even stronger focus on the case study portion than in Division B.

And of course, obviously the tests are harder in general.

Hope that helps! Feel free to add more, as I myself am going to Division C next year and would love more info.
Div B
2016-2017 - Crime, Disease, Fast Facts, Mission Possible
2017-2018 - Crime, Potions, Thermo, Disease, Microbe
Div C
2018-2019 - TBD (interested in- Chem Lab, Forensics, Disease, Thermo, Protein Modeling)

Seven Lakes Junior High '18, Seven Lakes High School '22

acidbeaker
State: CA

Postby acidbeaker » Wed May 16, 2018 12:24 am

As someone from Division B who's entering Division C, what are some major differences, or things that I need to know for Div. C that wouldn't be found in Div. B? I know that there's some statistics involved, but anything specific would be greatly appreciated.
2016 (B)
Wind Power, Disease Detectives

2017 (B)
Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology

2018 (B)
Thermodynamics, Experimental Design, Potions & Poisons, Detector Building (SoCal Trial)

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 am

acidbeaker wrote:As someone from Division B who's entering Division C, what are some major differences, or things that I need to know for Div. C that wouldn't be found in Div. B? I know that there's some statistics involved, but anything specific would be greatly appreciated.

See the post above you ;) Also some specifics to study are chi-squared tests, Fischer's exact test, double blind studies, biases, p-values, confidence intervals, null/alternative hypotheses, etc.

sourpatchkids
State: -

Postby sourpatchkids » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Where can I find information on what to study for next years topic (which will most likely be environmental quality)?

venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NC

Postby venules » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:28 pm

sourpatchkids wrote:Where can I find information on what to study for next years topic (which will most likely be environmental quality)?

Most of the generic/conceptual information (outbreak investigation, epidemics, etc.) is the same every year, but topical questions differ. You can look at some of the practice tests on the wiki related to environmental quality (2013/2014) to get a feel for the kinds of questions asked. The wiki itself is still incomplete, so you can search for practice tips or resources online (just search "disease detectives environmental quality").

jxxu20
State: NJ

Postby jxxu20 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 pm

I'll be doing DD for the first time next season ... can someone give me advice on how to prepare for the event (Enviro Quality specifically)? What resources are out there that can help me prepare (I'm pretty sure that a textbook wouldn't do for this event)? Any comments + suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NC

Postby venules » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pm

jxxu20 wrote:I'll be doing DD for the first time next season ... can someone give me advice on how to prepare for the event (Enviro Quality specifically)? What resources are out there that can help me prepare (I'm pretty sure that a textbook wouldn't do for this event)? Any comments + suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The training guides and PowerPoints on the national SO website would be a good start. There are some textbooks that can help you with the basics of epidemiology (one link provided by SOINC is to CDC, which also has a plethora of other resources for learning the event), but you should also answer practice questions (calculations and reasoning) in addition to your reading.

jxxu20
State: NJ

Postby jxxu20 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks ... another question: the focus of the 2018-2019 season is Environmental Quality. How should I study for that and can someone give examples of how this topic will be assessed in varying degrees of competition?

Note: The final events chart for 2018-2019 originally showed "Environmental Quality" underneath DD but it was soon deleted. Does this mean that the event will focus on epidemiology as a whole (not just EQ), or is that just a mistake on the Event Committee's behalf? Here's the link to the events chart:

https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... _FInal.pdf

Sorry for the questions ... DD newbie here XD
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Return to “Study Events”