Crime Busters B

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Crime Busters B

Postby bernard » August 31st, 2017, 12:20 pm

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

pikachu4919
State: IN

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby pikachu4919 » September 22nd, 2017, 1:39 pm

For any competitors doing Crime Busters:

I've done quite a bit of event supervising for Forensics, and I did supervise Crime Busters once since I also had Forensics to supervise at the same tournament, but I'm really not all that experienced in that since my school district did not have Division B SciOly, and while Crime Busters is the Division B parallel of Forensics, there were still quite some significant differences that were not the easiest to adjust to when I first tried running Crime Busters.

If any of competitors who are currently doing Crime Busters or have competed in it in the past would like to offer me some suggestions for what I can do to be an effective event supervisor for it based on their experiences from competing in it, I would absolutely love to hear them, as I would like to make sure I can run whatever events I get assigned to run to the best of my ability!
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » September 23rd, 2017, 5:12 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:For any competitors doing Crime Busters:

I've done quite a bit of event supervising for Forensics, and I did supervise Crime Busters once since I also had Forensics to supervise at the same tournament, but I'm really not all that experienced in that since my school district did not have Division B SciOly, and while Crime Busters is the Division B parallel of Forensics, there were still quite some significant differences that were not the easiest to adjust to when I first tried running Crime Busters.

If any of competitors who are currently doing Crime Busters or have competed in it in the past would like to offer me some suggestions for what I can do to be an effective event supervisor for it based on their experiences from competing in it, I would absolutely love to hear them, as I would like to make sure I can run whatever events I get assigned to run to the best of my ability!

Get better supplies, the lab coats and goggles were absolutely terrible.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

WhatScience?
State: NJ

Postby WhatScience? » September 26th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Do know where the different teams are sitting and if they leave the stations how they should be. A disorganized station can be terrible for the next team and the offenders should lose points.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

Person
State: -

Postby Person » September 26th, 2017, 7:34 pm

WhatScience? wrote:Do know where the different teams are sitting and if they leave the stations how they should be. A disorganized station can be terrible for the next team and the offenders should lose points.

I'm not sure if this is also the case for Crime Busters, but Forensics has a penalty if the area is not cleaned up properly.
I am a Person.
Past events: Solar Systems, Crave the Wave, ENTOMOLOGY, Dynamic Planet, Scrambler, Invasive Species, Forensics, Hydrogeology, Optics, Herpetology, Astronomy, Remote Sensing
#TehEntoCult ENTO IS LUV ENTO IS LYFE
Most Original Username 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

CVMSAvalacheStudent

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » September 26th, 2017, 9:14 pm

What do you do in Crime Busters? I forgot.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod
State: NY

Postby NeilMehta » September 26th, 2017, 9:56 pm

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:What do you do in Crime Busters? I forgot.

Good question!
Crime Busters Wiki
Crime Busters Wiki wrote:In Crime Busters, students will identify perpetrators of a certain crime by identifying unknown powders, liquids, and metals, and analyzing hairs, fibers, plastics, fingerprints, DNA evidence, shoeprints, tire treads, soil and splatters. Students will also analyze evidence from paper chromatography. Students should be able to use this data to answer some questions about who committed the crime and how the evidence supports their argument. This event was previously known as Science Crime Busters, but was changed to Crime Busters after the 2009-2010 season.
Last edited by NeilMehta on October 3rd, 2017, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"

Postby Tailsfan101 » September 29th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Person wrote:I'm not sure if this is also the case for Crime Busters, but Forensics has a penalty if the area is not cleaned up properly.

Yes.
Crime Busters rule manual wrote:...4. Scoring...d. A penalty of up to 10% may be given if a team's work area is not cleaned up as instructed by the event supervisor.
2019 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki
State/Nats
CB: 1/35
RS: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

Mini-Inv./DISCO/State/Nats
RS: 1/2/1/-
DD: -/3/2/-
HD: 2/4/4/-
CB: 3/6/1/-
ELG: -/6/-/-
GLM: -/-/-/31
WIDI: -/-/-/24

Possible 2020 events: DD, GLM, Code, WIDI, 4N6

Assassinator for games #118 and 136

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » October 3rd, 2017, 9:26 am

Very true but it is important that this rule is enforced because some ESs choose no to which can become frustrating for the competitors.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Potions and Poisons, Disease Detectives, Optics, and Towers

dholdgreve
Division: B

Postby dholdgreve » October 10th, 2017, 5:15 am

There is always the obvious stuff:
If running more than one flight, make sure that they are all run exactly the same... start and finish at the same time, same chemicals, same preamble... etc.
Don't take the easy route and pull a test from on line... The kids have already seen all of those.
Make sure that if you are writing an original, it has a logical solution
The kids are nervous enough already, don't play hard nose... Enforce the rules, but do it gently... (LOL)
I use one of the marker boards in the room to locate where each team is sitting, so that I can go back and determine which team left it a mess, then penalize accordingly.
When asked a question by one group, repeat the question so the entire room can hear, then answer the same, so as not to give one team an advantage. Repeat the question in future flights
Have individual evidence bags made up for each team... none of this communal sharing of chemicals
This year has one new twist. Conductivity testers are now allowed. Make sure that you are using current rules.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Polarrr

Postby Polarrr » October 14th, 2017, 7:26 pm

I used to compete for Division B Crime Busters and have taken many tests. One thing event supervisors always need to do is check the materials the students are bringing in; make sure only the allowed items are being brought in. Also, when creating a crime scene, make sure to give some motives or extra background to certain suspects; don't always state what physical evidence or powders/liquids/metals are on them (ex: one suspect works at a bakery, therefore, if flour or cornstarch is found at the scene, it could be related to this suspect). Finally, always make sure to provide enough materials needed to make sure that the test runs smoothly. I've been to some invitationals where they don't have enough HCl or chromatography paper, and they were simply unprepared, resulting in a very inefficient testing process.

Birdmusic

Postby Birdmusic » October 26th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Hi, I'm new to this event (and chemistry in general), so I have a couple of questions.

1) When my partner and I mixed iodine with flour mixed with water or cornstarch mixed with water, it didn't turn dark blue, any ideas why? We tried increasing the amount of water, flour/cornstarch, and iodine, but nothing happened still.

2) If one powder in a mixture dissolved and another didn't, how would you know? Wouldn't the water just be cloudy if one dissolved? Also, how would you know whether only one thing reacted with the HCl and iodine or both reacted?
I like birds.

2018 Results
R/S
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9

2019 Results
GGSO/R/S
Disease Detectives: 6/3/10
Circuit lab:11/4/-
Sounds:3/2/1
Protein: -/-/6

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » October 27th, 2017, 5:08 am

Birdmusic wrote:Hi, I'm new to this event (and chemistry in general), so I have a couple of questions.

1) When my partner and I mixed iodine with flour mixed with water or cornstarch mixed with water, it didn't turn dark blue, any ideas why? We tried increasing the amount of water, flour/cornstarch, and iodine, but nothing happened still.

2) If one powder in a mixture dissolved and another didn't, how would you know? Wouldn't the water just be cloudy if one dissolved? Also, how would you know whether only one thing reacted with the HCl and iodine or both reacted?

1. you have to use Potassium Iodide
2. A substance won't dissolve instantly, it takes time

If you have any more questions, be free to ask!

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » October 27th, 2017, 6:01 am

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:Hi, I'm new to this event (and chemistry in general), so I have a couple of questions.

IKI solution
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Birdmusic

Postby Birdmusic » October 28th, 2017, 1:36 pm

shrewdPanther46 wrote:

Hi, thank you for responding. We are using potassium iodine, sorry for not being clear.
I like birds.

2018 Results
R/S
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9

2019 Results
GGSO/R/S
Disease Detectives: 6/3/10
Circuit lab:11/4/-
Sounds:3/2/1
Protein: -/-/6