Crime Busters B

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Crime Busters B

Postby bernard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:20 pm

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

pikachu4919
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Re: Crime Busters B

Postby pikachu4919 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:39 pm

For any competitors doing Crime Busters:

I've done quite a bit of event supervising for Forensics, and I did supervise Crime Busters once since I also had Forensics to supervise at the same tournament, but I'm really not all that experienced in that since my school district did not have Division B SciOly, and while Crime Busters is the Division B parallel of Forensics, there were still quite some significant differences that were not the easiest to adjust to when I first tried running Crime Busters.

If any of competitors who are currently doing Crime Busters or have competed in it in the past would like to offer me some suggestions for what I can do to be an effective event supervisor for it based on their experiences from competing in it, I would absolutely love to hear them, as I would like to make sure I can run whatever events I get assigned to run to the best of my ability!
"I know that greatness lies in you."
"You want a revolution? I want a revelation!"
"I AM NOT THROWING AWAY MY SHOT!"
- Hamilton: An American Musical

Assassinator of 113: Friday the 13th

CARMEL HIGH SCHOOL (IN) '16
PURDUE BIOLOGICAL ENGINEERING '20

Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics :D

CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:12 am

pikachu4919 wrote:For any competitors doing Crime Busters:

I've done quite a bit of event supervising for Forensics, and I did supervise Crime Busters once since I also had Forensics to supervise at the same tournament, but I'm really not all that experienced in that since my school district did not have Division B SciOly, and while Crime Busters is the Division B parallel of Forensics, there were still quite some significant differences that were not the easiest to adjust to when I first tried running Crime Busters.

If any of competitors who are currently doing Crime Busters or have competed in it in the past would like to offer me some suggestions for what I can do to be an effective event supervisor for it based on their experiences from competing in it, I would absolutely love to hear them, as I would like to make sure I can run whatever events I get assigned to run to the best of my ability!

Get better supplies, the lab coats and goggles were absolutely terrible.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

WhatScience?
Division: B
State: NJ

Postby WhatScience? » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:59 am

Do know where the different teams are sitting and if they leave the stations how they should be. A disorganized station can be terrible for the next team and the offenders should lose points.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Optics, Potions and Poisons, Anatomy and Physiology, and Experimental Design

Person
WikiMod
WikiMod
State: -

Postby Person » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:34 am

WhatScience? wrote:Do know where the different teams are sitting and if they leave the stations how they should be. A disorganized station can be terrible for the next team and the offenders should lose points.

I'm not sure if this is also the case for Crime Busters, but Forensics has a penalty if the area is not cleaned up properly.
I am a Person.
Past events: Solar Systems, Crave the Wave, ENTOMOLOGY, Dynamic Planet, Scrambler, Invasive Species, Forensics, Hydrogeology, Optics
#TehEntoCult ENTO IS LUV ENTO IS LYFE
Most Original Username 2016, 2017
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

CVMSAvalacheStudent

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:14 am

What do you do in Crime Busters? I forgot.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

NeilMehta
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby NeilMehta » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:56 am

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:What do you do in Crime Busters? I forgot.

Good question!
Crime Busters Wiki
Crime Busters Wiki wrote:In Crime Busters, students will identify perpetrators of a certain crime by identifying unknown powders, liquids, and metals, and analyzing hairs, fibers, plastics, fingerprints, DNA evidence, shoeprints, tire treads, soil and splatters. Students will also analyze evidence from paper chromatography. Students should be able to use this data to answer some questions about who committed the crime and how the evidence supports their argument. This event was previously known as Science Crime Busters, but was changed to Crime Busters after the 2009-2010 season.
Last edited by NeilMehta on Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.C. Murphy JHS Science Olympiad
my events tend to deal with really big things or really tiny things

Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: ID

Postby Tailsfan101 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Person wrote:I'm not sure if this is also the case for Crime Busters, but Forensics has a penalty if the area is not cleaned up properly.

Yes.
Crime Busters rule manual wrote:...4. Scoring...d. A penalty of up to 10% may be given if a team's work area is not cleaned up as instructed by the event supervisor.
2018 Treasure Valley Homeschool (Division B)
Events: Disease Detectives, Crime Busters, Road Scholar
Click here to experience the true joy of being an Exalted Member like me!
2017 results
State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

WhatScience?

Postby WhatScience? » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Very true but it is important that this rule is enforced because some ESs choose no to which can become frustrating for the competitors.
"When you clean your room, you are increasing the total chaos of the universe" - Hank Green Crash Course (Entropy)

Events 2018

Thermodynamics, Optics, Potions and Poisons, Anatomy and Physiology, and Experimental Design

dholdgreve

Postby dholdgreve » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:15 pm

There is always the obvious stuff:
If running more than one flight, make sure that they are all run exactly the same... start and finish at the same time, same chemicals, same preamble... etc.
Don't take the easy route and pull a test from on line... The kids have already seen all of those.
Make sure that if you are writing an original, it has a logical solution
The kids are nervous enough already, don't play hard nose... Enforce the rules, but do it gently... (LOL)
I use one of the marker boards in the room to locate where each team is sitting, so that I can go back and determine which team left it a mess, then penalize accordingly.
When asked a question by one group, repeat the question so the entire room can hear, then answer the same, so as not to give one team an advantage. Repeat the question in future flights
Have individual evidence bags made up for each team... none of this communal sharing of chemicals
This year has one new twist. Conductivity testers are now allowed. Make sure that you are using current rules.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Polarrr

Postby Polarrr » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:26 am

I used to compete for Division B Crime Busters and have taken many tests. One thing event supervisors always need to do is check the materials the students are bringing in; make sure only the allowed items are being brought in. Also, when creating a crime scene, make sure to give some motives or extra background to certain suspects; don't always state what physical evidence or powders/liquids/metals are on them (ex: one suspect works at a bakery, therefore, if flour or cornstarch is found at the scene, it could be related to this suspect). Finally, always make sure to provide enough materials needed to make sure that the test runs smoothly. I've been to some invitationals where they don't have enough HCl or chromatography paper, and they were simply unprepared, resulting in a very inefficient testing process.

Birdmusic

Postby Birdmusic » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:59 am

Hi, I'm new to this event (and chemistry in general), so I have a couple of questions.

1) When my partner and I mixed iodine with flour mixed with water or cornstarch mixed with water, it didn't turn dark blue, any ideas why? We tried increasing the amount of water, flour/cornstarch, and iodine, but nothing happened still.

2) If one powder in a mixture dissolved and another didn't, how would you know? Wouldn't the water just be cloudy if one dissolved? Also, how would you know whether only one thing reacted with the HCl and iodine or both reacted?
Science is an art.
Art is a science.

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Birdmusic wrote:Hi, I'm new to this event (and chemistry in general), so I have a couple of questions.

1) When my partner and I mixed iodine with flour mixed with water or cornstarch mixed with water, it didn't turn dark blue, any ideas why? We tried increasing the amount of water, flour/cornstarch, and iodine, but nothing happened still.

2) If one powder in a mixture dissolved and another didn't, how would you know? Wouldn't the water just be cloudy if one dissolved? Also, how would you know whether only one thing reacted with the HCl and iodine or both reacted?

1. you have to use Potassium Iodide
2. A substance won't dissolve instantly, it takes time

If you have any more questions, be free to ask!
2018:
Potions and Poisons
Crimebusters
Battery Buggy
WIDI

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:01 pm

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:Hi, I'm new to this event (and chemistry in general), so I have a couple of questions.

IKI solution
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School

2018 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Materials Science, Microbe Mission, Remote Sensing

Birdmusic

Postby Birdmusic » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:36 pm

shrewdPanther46 wrote:

Hi, thank you for responding. We are using potassium iodine, sorry for not being clear.
Science is an art.
Art is a science.

Return to “Lab Events”