Hovercraft B/C

Adi1008
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Postby Adi1008 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:34 pm

randomperson123 wrote:Is the hovercraft written test self-scheduled at nationals?

Based on the tentative schedule in the rulebook, hovercraft is completely self schedule.
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

Birdmusic
Division: B
State: CA

Postby Birdmusic » Wed May 02, 2018 3:06 am

BasuSiddha23 wrote:How many rolls of pennies can your hovercrafts hold?

I just want to see our performance compared to other teams.

4 at most with full batteries. (yeah i can't build)
Science is an art.
Art is a science.

2018 Results
Regionals/States
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9

jgrischow1
State: OH

Postby jgrischow1 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:43 am

Sorry if something like this has already been posted, but we found a really good way to increase the number of pennies we could hold. When my kids were just randomly poking holes in the bottom of their skirt, they could only get 3-4 pennies on. We created a simple device in which graph paper was taped on to a piece of cardboard. We then poked thumbtacks through the intersections of the graph paper. We must have had hundreds of tacks on it. The kids pierced their skirts with the device, and the even holes really helped, enabling them to get 12-13 penny roles and a 15 second time.

LittyWap
State: PA

Postby LittyWap » Thu May 03, 2018 3:54 am

jgrischow1 wrote:Sorry if something like this has already been posted, but we found a really good way to increase the number of pennies we could hold. When my kids were just randomly poking holes in the bottom of their skirt, they could only get 3-4 pennies on. We created a simple device in which graph paper was taped on to a piece of cardboard. We then poked thumbtacks through the intersections of the graph paper. We must have had hundreds of tacks on it. The kids pierced their skirts with the device, and the even holes really helped, enabling them to get 12-13 penny roles and a 15 second time.

Seeing as how im not making it to Nats this year and this event is leaving in 2019, I should tell you that this was major to the success of my craft. It's like an air hockey table, where the holes restrict the volumetric flow and increase the static pressure.
Build score of 49.88/50 at Nationals!? Slacker! :evil:

Shady Side Academy Division C

Hovercraft, Thermodynamics, Chemistry Lab, Mat Sci

Free Thermo Test: https://adobe.ly/2Dnfrhu

Big P

IvanGe
State: NY

Postby IvanGe » Sat May 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Does anyone know if they will give you credit for an answer being 51.50N when the answer key says 51.52N? Does that small difference affect if you get credit or not?
2017 Hovercraft Division B : 1/1/1/3/3

National Tournament at Wright State 2017 : Third Place @ Hovercraft
National Tournament at Colorado State 2018 : Seventh Place @ Roller coaster (DEPRESSION)

MIScioly1
Division: Grad
State: MI

Postby MIScioly1 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 pm

IvanGe wrote:Does anyone know if they will give you credit for an answer being 51.50N when the answer key says 51.52N? Does that small difference affect if you get credit or not?

100% dependent on the supervisor. If the supervisor is requesting the calculation to be done in a certain way using sig figs, then I suppose that difference could affect credit. That being said, I would give it full credit if I were the supervisor.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Test Evaluation Committee

MIScioly1
Division: Grad
State: MI

Postby MIScioly1 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:33 pm

MIScioly1 wrote:
IvanGe wrote:Does anyone know if they will give you credit for an answer being 51.50N when the answer key says 51.52N? Does that small difference affect if you get credit or not?

100% dependent on the supervisor. If the supervisor is requesting the calculation to be done in a certain way using sig figs, then I suppose that difference could affect credit. That being said, I would give it full credit if I were the supervisor.

I assume most would have no problem with it, though. (sorry for double post)
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Test Evaluation Committee

CMS AC
State: NJ

Postby CMS AC » Sat May 05, 2018 9:38 pm

How significant is sig figs though? Like how many points would they take off?(No pun intended)

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Postby antoine_ego » Sat May 05, 2018 9:58 pm

CMS AC wrote:How significant is sig figs though? Like how many points would they take off?(No pun intended)

Depends on the test and test writer. For example, on Optics MIT, you lost half credit if your sig figs were off. I'd read the directions carefully; sometimes they ask for a fixed number (i.e. Astronomy MIT).
Rest in Peace Len Joeris

National Placings
2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!

Acton-Boxborough Regional High School '19

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » Sun May 06, 2018 1:40 am

MIScioly1 wrote:

Also dependent on the question. If it's a straightforward one-step or two-step calculation, it's harder to deem it creditworthy than, say, if it was five or six calculations.

IvanGe

Postby IvanGe » Sat May 12, 2018 8:39 pm

i didn't feel like posting this in the Question Marathon, so i guess i'll just post it here because it's more like a check-my-work-please.

A bungee jumper of mass 40 kg is attached to a bungee cord with a constant of 80 n/m. The unstretched length of the bungee is 15m. What is the maximum velocity of the jumper? (g = 10 m/s^2)

I did it by using the potential energy of the spring and when it is at maximum velocity, the potential energy should completely change into kinetic energy(even though it doesn't in this case). So :

Hooke's law
f = kx to find x

PE = KE + PEspring
mgh = 1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2

assuming h is equal to 15 + x

The answer key said 17.32 m/s and I did not get that by doing this, instead I got 18.71 m/s
Last edited by IvanGe on Sun May 13, 2018 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

National Tournament at Colorado State 2018 : Seventh Place @ Roller coaster (DEPRESSION)

MattChina

Postby MattChina » Sun May 13, 2018 2:12 am

IvanGe wrote:i didn't feel like posting this in the Question Marathon, so i guess i'll just post it here because it's more like a check-my-work-please.

A bungee jumper of mass 40 kg is attached to a bungee cord with a constant of 80 n/m. The unstretched length of the bungee is 15m. What is the maximum velocity of the jumper? (g = 10 m/s^2)

I did it by using the potential energy of the spring and when it is at maximum velocity, the potential energy should completely change into kinetic energy(even though it doesn't in this case). So :

Hooke's law
f = kx to find x

PE = KE + PEspring
mgh = 1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2

The answer key said 17.32 m/s and I did not get that by doing this, instead I got 18.71 m/s^.

Idk man, Got the same answer.
Physics is my city

2017 events: Hovercraft, Ecology, Optics, Write it do it, Fast Facts, Mystery Design(NY trial)
2018 events: Hovercraft, Ecology, Optics, Thermodynamics, Quiz bowl(NY trial)

Ankles moister than a humid summer day

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » Sun May 13, 2018 3:00 am

MattChina wrote:
IvanGe wrote:i didn't feel like posting this in the Question Marathon, so i guess i'll just post it here because it's more like a check-my-work-please.

Hooke's law
f = kx to find x

PE = KE + PEspring
mgh = 1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2

The answer key said 17.32 m/s and I did not get that by doing this, instead I got 18.71 m/s^.

I got the same answer.
For those confused about how the answer was obtained (like I was)
At any particular moment at time, the Law of Conservation of Energy applies.

The left side is the gravitational potential energy of the bungee jumper before he jumps (h is the distance from this height to the height of the bungee jumper at this particular point in time).
The right side is the elastic potential energy of the cord (follows Hooke's law, where x is the additional stretchage of the cord past 15 m) and the kinetic energy of the bungee jumper.
To proceed, we need one more equation:

This is because at any given point, h is the length of the bungee cord.
Plug in values:

Simplify:

Solve for :

At this point, you can find the maximum by (1) finding the maximum of the parabola and then square rooting it or (2) plugging in your graphing calculator and letting it find the maximum for you.

Either way, you get the answer

IvanGe

Postby IvanGe » Sun May 13, 2018 3:20 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
MattChina wrote:

Hooke's law
f = kx to find x

PE = KE + PEspring
mgh = 1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2

I got the same answer.
For those confused about how the answer was obtained (like I was)
At any particular moment at time, the Law of Conservation of Energy applies.

The left side is the gravitational potential energy of the bungee jumper before he jumps (h is the distance from this height to the height of the bungee jumper at this particular point in time).
The right side is the elastic potential energy of the cord (follows Hooke's law, where x is the additional stretchage of the cord past 15 m) and the kinetic energy of the bungee jumper.
To proceed, we need one more equation:

This is because at any given point, h is the length of the bungee cord.
Plug in values:

Simplify:

Solve for :

At this point, you can find the maximum by (1) finding the maximum of the parabola and then square rooting it or (2) plugging in your graphing calculator and letting it find the maximum for you.

Either way, you get the answer

aight guys I guess the answer key was wrong? It's from Cypress Falls Invitational Division C for those wondering.

LittyWap

Postby LittyWap » Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 pm

Thought you guys would want to see this. Anyone else ready for Nats??

https://imgur.com/a/5Pw0St2
Build score of 49.88/50 at Nationals!? Slacker! :evil:

Shady Side Academy Division C

Hovercraft, Thermodynamics, Chemistry Lab, Mat Sci

Free Thermo Test: https://adobe.ly/2Dnfrhu

Big P

Return to “Lab Events”