Potions and Poisons B

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Postby Unome » April 7th, 2018, 5:39 pm

SunnyDelight! wrote:Hello-

I am a participant that has a question: My partner and I have been doing several practice tests and have been seeing content from another manual that we found online. It is a pdf:

https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... -20-16.pdf

We are unsure whether we are supposed to cover the topics given in this manual. Our coach was given a different manual with other species and the environmental toxins listed do not contain copper. For example, we do not have lily of the valley, wolfsbane, Portuguese man of war, poison dart frog, jack in the pulpit and poison sumac. Are we supposed to know this content as well for the competition?

The link you posted is for the trial event rules from last year, before Potions and Poisons became a national event. You should follow the current year's rules. Although, if you have extra time it might be worth going over some of the removed topics from the trial rules, in case your event supervisor isn't very competent and uses the trial rules by mistake.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Postby drcubbin » April 7th, 2018, 6:57 pm

SunnyDelight! wrote:Hello-

I am a participant that has a question: My partner and I have been doing several practice tests and have been seeing content from another manual that we found online. It is a pdf:

https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... -20-16.pdf

We are unsure whether we are supposed to cover the topics given in this manual. Our coach was given a different manual with other species and the environmental toxins listed do not contain copper. For example, we do not have lily of the valley, wolfsbane, Portuguese man of war, poison dart frog, jack in the pulpit and poison sumac. Are we supposed to know this content as well for the competition?

You can always count on the scioly.org WIKI https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Potions_and_Poisons

SunnyDelight!
State: -

Postby SunnyDelight! » April 17th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Thank you for your reply! We decided not to stress out about these extra species...and they did not even come on our test.

SunnyDelight!

Postby SunnyDelight! » April 17th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Thanks @unome and @dcrubbin!!!

igotoschool

Postby igotoschool » April 20th, 2018, 9:16 am

um did not see previous messages sorry

dvegadvol

Postby dvegadvol » April 25th, 2018, 11:54 am

SO, now that the season is over for the great majority of us, can anyone share an invitational test or two or three? The invitationals we attended returned only our answer sheets. No tests, no keys. Worthless. One of our invitational tests was hard to forget. At the top of the page it read something like: Since this is a new event and there is no information on this and we don't know what we are doing, so Good Luck!"

So, anybody got anything to share? Thanks.

Froggie
State: PA

Postby Froggie » April 25th, 2018, 1:16 pm

dvegadvol wrote:One of our invitational tests was hard to forget. At the top of the page it read something like: Since this is a new event and there is no information on this and we don't know what we are doing, so Good Luck!"

This test is on the test exchange: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2018_ ... nd_Poisons
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

dvegadvol

Postby dvegadvol » April 25th, 2018, 4:28 pm

OMG! That's the test from the invitational! LOL!

Thanks, Froggie, but it's completely worthless to me...

Anybody out there have a real test to share? Please...

Thanks

SunnyDelight!

Postby SunnyDelight! » April 29th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Our team was wondering if we could use a multimeter in the competition or are we supposed just use a conductivity reader such as one with a bulb indicator.

Also, we want to practice the lab portion. Where do we get out chemicals/materials and how do we dispose of them? How are you guys doing your lab practice?

dholdgreve

Postby dholdgreve » May 3rd, 2018, 7:15 am

SunnyDelight! wrote:Our team was wondering if we could use a multimeter in the competition or are we supposed just use a conductivity reader such as one with a bulb indicator.

Also, we want to practice the lab portion. Where do we get out chemicals/materials and how do we dispose of them? How are you guys doing your lab practice?

I just ran this at Ohio State... My answer to your question is "It is up to the individual running the competition. Check with them." At OSU, I saw several different types of conductivity testers. In my assessment, they had to be 9 volt or less. They had to say somewhere on the device "conductivity."
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

IvanGe
State: NY

Postby IvanGe » May 5th, 2018, 6:02 am

SunnyDelight! wrote:Our team was wondering if we could use a multimeter in the competition or are we supposed just use a conductivity reader such as one with a bulb indicator.

it's a bit hard to practice labs on your own, but since my school has a stock of invys, I just copy the labs off of them and basically find the materials.
2016-2019 Gelinas Science Olympiad // Senior Captain
LISO/Rustin/Cornell/Regionals/States/Nationals
Battery Buggy : 4/-/-/-/-/-
ELG : 14 :cry: /-/-/-/-/-
Fossils : 1/-/-/-/-/-
Potions and Poisons : 3/-/-/-/-/-

SunnyDelight!

Postby SunnyDelight! » May 13th, 2018, 11:40 am

IvanGe wrote:

it's a bit hard to practice labs on your own, but since my school has a stock of invys, I just copy the labs off of them and basically find the materials.

Thanks- we will do our best!

SunnyDelight!

Postby SunnyDelight! » May 13th, 2018, 11:41 am

dholdgreve wrote:

I just ran this at Ohio State... My answer to your question is "It is up to the individual running the competition. Check with them." At OSU, I saw several different types of conductivity testers. In my assessment, they had to be 9 volt or less. They had to say somewhere on the device "conductivity."

Thanks for your help! We will ask the supervisors and bring both to the competition.

jxxu20
State: NJ

Postby jxxu20 » August 6th, 2018, 6:28 am

Hi guys,
Are the household chemicals/toxic living organisms for next year's PP event going to be the same as the chemicals/organisms covered this year? Thanks!
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

dvegadvol

Postby dvegadvol » August 7th, 2018, 6:31 am

Probably not...

Return to “2018 Lab Events”