Rocks & Minerals B/C

ScottMaurer19
Division: C
State: OH

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby ScottMaurer19 » April 26th, 2018, 7:24 am

Anyone else notice that crystalline limestone is not on the official list anymore :?
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Total Top 3 Placements: 125

Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA

Postby Kyanite » April 26th, 2018, 9:20 am

ScottMaurer19 wrote:Anyone else notice that crystalline limestone is not on the official list anymore :?

I did see that, really need to take it out of my notes :lol: :lol:

ScottMaurer19

Postby ScottMaurer19 » April 26th, 2018, 9:27 am

Kyanite wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:Anyone else notice that crystalline limestone is not on the official list anymore :?

I swear I saw it on a test this year and got it right but :?:

EDIT: I guess we can't confuse dolostone and crystalline limestone now so that's an improvement
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Kyanite
State: WA

Postby Kyanite » April 26th, 2018, 9:32 am

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Kyanite wrote:

I swear I saw it on a test this year and got it right but :?:

EDIT: I guess we can't confuse dolostone and crystalline limestone now so that's an improvement

True, that was an annoying ID mix up.

gvorwald
State: -

Postby gvorwald » April 29th, 2018, 10:40 am

Crystalline limestone was taken out because it really is not a scientific term used for limestone. Travertine is a crystalline limestone, and often skeletal or fossiliferous limestone is cemented with crystalline calcite.

Limestone is actually classified through two systems based on either Folk or Dunham. I prefer Dunham which is based on amount of mud vs grains: mudstone, wackestone, packstone, grainstone. This is beyond the rules for this year, but I thought I would offer an explanation about crystalline limestone.

Gary Vorwald
National Supervisor 2017-18
Rocks & Minerals C Division

gvorwald

Postby gvorwald » April 29th, 2018, 10:49 am

Some good resources for Rocks and Minerals, both B and C, are posted on the National Science Olympiad website:
https://www.soinc.org/rocks-and-minerals-b

For Rocks, look up various tables and charts on the Internet for:

Rock Cycle
Igneous Rock Chart
Sedimentary Rock Chart
Metamorphic Rock Chart
Metamorphic Environments

Don't limit yourself to the NYS Earth Science Reference Tables. They were based on other published charts. Choose the charts that include many of the rocks on the 2018 Science OIympiad list, and the ones that work best for you.

Gary Vorwald
2018 National Supervisor
Rocks & Minerals C Division

gvorwald

Re: Bornite vs Chalcopyrite

Postby gvorwald » April 29th, 2018, 11:46 am

Some time ago, there was a question about how to tell the difference between Bornite and Chalcopyrite. Both are very similar ores of copper, but with different chemical formulas. Both are Copper Iron Sulfides, but with different percentages or each of these elements.

Most "peacock ore" or "peacock copper" is chalcopyrite that has been treated with acid to enhance its iridescence. Both can be iridescent naturally due to exposure to air, although Bornite is usually shades of blue and purple. Unfortunately, most event supervisors may not be as knowledgeable about differentiating these two minerals. Both have similar density, luster, hardness, uneven fracture, etc.

If you have a freshly broken specimen, Chalcopyrite will be golden yellow, and Bornite coppery brown. However, I don't feel it fair to ask for identification of these two minerals without providing some information that can be used to distinguish them, such as the formula, or information about the unoxidized color, etc.

Gary Vorwald
2018 National Supervisor
Rocks & Minerals C

ScottMaurer19

Re: Bornite vs Chalcopyrite

Postby ScottMaurer19 » April 29th, 2018, 4:16 pm

gvorwald wrote:Some time ago, there was a question about how to tell the difference between Bornite and Chalcopyrite. Both are very similar ores of copper, but with different chemical formulas. Both are Copper Iron Sulfides, but with different percentages or each of these elements.

Most "peacock ore" or "peacock copper" is chalcopyrite that has been treated with acid to enhance its iridescence. Both can be iridescent naturally due to exposure to air, although Bornite is usually shades of blue and purple. Unfortunately, most event supervisors may not be as knowledgeable about differentiating these two minerals. Both have similar density, luster, hardness, uneven fracture, etc.

If you have a freshly broken specimen, Chalcopyrite will be golden yellow, and Bornite coppery brown. However, I don't feel it fair to ask for identification of these two minerals without providing some information that can be used to distinguish them, such as the formula, or information about the unoxidized color, etc.

Gary Vorwald
2018 National Supervisor
Rocks & Minerals C

Thank you for noticing this as this has been one of the mix ups that both the Div B students I coach and I worry about. I look forward to another great test this year!
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Pomegranate

Postby Pomegranate » May 1st, 2018, 4:25 pm

Not sure where to ask this, but does anyone remember how long you had at each station for the Nationals Rocks test Div C last year? Thanks!

fabishkf
State: WI

Postby fabishkf » May 1st, 2018, 6:23 pm

Buy the tests. 3 min (tho I was in div b last year, you can buy the tests), 16 stations.
Hamilton Middle School '17
Madison West High School '21
National tournaments: 2016 Stout, 2017 Wright State (12th place team) division B, 2018 CSU division C
2019 Events: Designer Genes, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Herpetology

kate!
Division: B
State: NY

Postby kate! » May 1st, 2018, 6:51 pm

Pomegranate wrote:Not sure where to ask this, but does anyone remember how long you had at each station for the Nationals Rocks test Div C last year? Thanks!

Never been to nats, nor am I div C, but I do have experience with the proctor (Gary Vorwald) and his stations are typically 2 minutes long. They might be longer for nationals though, but expect somewhere in that range.
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, and water, yay again!

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » May 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm

kate! wrote:
Pomegranate wrote:Not sure where to ask this, but does anyone remember how long you had at each station for the Nationals Rocks test Div C last year? Thanks!

Never been to nats, nor am I div C, but I do have experience with the proctor (Gary Vorwald) and his stations are typically 2 minutes long. They might be longer for nationals though, but expect somewhere in that range.

gvorwald: Did you only write division C for last year nats?
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Sounds of Music?, WIDI, maybe others
B Division Dropout and C Division Charity Case
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » May 1st, 2018, 7:14 pm

dxu46 wrote:
kate! wrote:

gvorwald: Did you only write division C for last year nats?

He's written Div C R&M/Fossils for at least the last three years. Someone else does Div B.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

kate!
Division: B
State: NY

Postby kate! » August 27th, 2018, 11:04 am

For the sedimentary rocks in Fossils, can we just use our notes from this event?
Last year I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, and water, yay again!

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » August 27th, 2018, 1:36 pm

kate! wrote:For the sedimentary rocks in Fossils, can we just use our notes from this event?

Probably, but the majority of the event is going to be fossils, so rocks will probably just be a general understanding, not in-depth like R&M.
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Sounds of Music?, WIDI, maybe others
B Division Dropout and C Division Charity Case
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

Return to “2018 Study Events”