bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Private Wang Fire
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by Private Wang Fire »

Predictions for winning mousetrap scores at nats? It seems from past years that people were able to get their MVs under 10 seconds and nearly spot on, although the variation in the VTP might throw a wrench in that. No more EV encoder bashing :cry:
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by Raleway »

Private Wang Fire wrote:Predictions for winning mousetrap scores at nats? It seems from past years that people were able to get their MVs under 10 seconds and nearly spot on, although the variation in the VTP might throw a wrench in that. No more EV encoder bashing :cry:
Bash party over :(
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

Private Wang Fire wrote:Predictions for winning mousetrap scores at nats? It seems from past years that people were able to get their MVs under 10 seconds and nearly spot on, although the variation in the VTP might throw a wrench in that. No more EV encoder bashing :cry:
I'd guess winning score would be between 5 and 7, given that 3D printers and carbon fiber are standard among top teams, which lower the weight by a lot, allowing for very fast times.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
DarthBuilder
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder »

I have a mousetrap vehicle already built. I just need to test basically. It was simple making a car because I had one before but the testing seems hard. Any ideas on to test?
Deleted
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

DarthBuilder wrote:I have a mousetrap vehicle already built. I just need to test basically. It was simple making a car because I had one before but the testing seems hard. Any ideas on to test?
Figure out how to set your car so it runs a desired distance for the first part. Then figure out how to set your car so it runs a desired distance for the second part (while keeping first part constant). Test its cup pushing: does the cup slide out of the vehicles path or does it tip over? Do you see anything in your runs that appears to slow your vehicle? Any issues with your vehicle starting? Any issues with how your vehicle transitions from one direction to the reverse?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
DarthBuilder
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder »

alrighty, thanks! what is a good grip for wheels? I have CDs right now. I think balloons should do something for right now until i figure out a better solution?
Deleted
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

DarthBuilder wrote:alrighty, thanks! what is a good grip for wheels? I have CDs right now. I think balloons should do something for right now until i figure out a better solution?
Sure, and clean them as needed. I've appreciated the precision of Actobotics wheels and their rubber tires but they are heavier. I think Actobotics may make rubber tires for CDs...
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

DarthBuilder wrote:alrighty, thanks! what is a good grip for wheels? I have CDs right now. I think balloons should do something for right now until i figure out a better solution?
I've used CDs in all the other vehicle events (Wheeled Vehicle, Scrambler, EV) and they've worked very well- some skid is bound to happen ;). The only other thing I'd consider would be those Banebots robot wheels (or similar), though CDs might still be better since they weigh less.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
Wabbit

Post by Wabbit »

So I'm essentially done with a rough prototype of my vehicle which I made without too much thought going into its weight. I plan to redesign and/or modify in order to cut down on the total mass as it feels fairly sluggish right now and I'm unable to increase drive axle size without running out of string. Can someone provide me with a rough estimate of how much a decent car would weigh so I can know what to shoot for?

My current vehicle is sitting at around 350g and is constructed in part from balsa, although most of the weight is coming from the metal wing-nut stopping system and from Lego pieces which I used for part of the frame. Do people have recommendations for materials or construction methods which would minimize weight while not sacrificing too much strength? I, unfortunately, don't have access to a 3d printer.

Thanks!

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”