Mission Possible C

Ten086
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 12:35 pm
Division: C
State: -
Contact:

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby Ten086 » May 23rd, 2018, 8:14 am

Hey Scott, how did you calibrate your timer? :o You used Alka-Seltzer in conjunction with the balloon task, right? About how long was the maximum time you could get with the timer?
Just trying my best...

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 532
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:39 am
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Contact:

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby ScottMaurer19 » May 23rd, 2018, 8:23 am

Ten086 wrote:Hey Scott, how did you calibrate your timer? :o You used Alka-Seltzer in conjunction with the balloon task, right? About how long was the maximum time you could get with the timer?

I just tested and tested and tested and recorded the temperature with the time.
I was aiming for a time of 2:35 so that all my tasks could complete with plenty of time and if something went wrong I had like 15 seconds to fix it.
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019?
Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Total Top 3 Placements: 100

Rezalis
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: September 5th, 2017, 12:20 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby Rezalis » May 23rd, 2018, 9:21 am

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Ten086 wrote:Hey Scott, how did you calibrate your timer? :o You used Alka-Seltzer in conjunction with the balloon task, right? About how long was the maximum time you could get with the timer?

I just tested and tested and tested and recorded the temperature with the time.
I was aiming for a time of 2:35 so that all my tasks could complete with plenty of time and if something went wrong I had like 15 seconds to fix it.


That's exactly what we did for our alka seltzer chem timer/balloon task also. We used different numbers of similar sized ice cubes to change the temperature and reaction rate. We kept the number of alka tablets constant. (1 tablet)
2018 Events
Mission, Mousetrap, Towers, Helicopters, Hovercraft

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 532
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:39 am
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Contact:

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby ScottMaurer19 » May 23rd, 2018, 9:38 am

Rezalis wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Ten086 wrote:Hey Scott, how did you calibrate your timer? :o You used Alka-Seltzer in conjunction with the balloon task, right? About how long was the maximum time you could get with the timer?

I just tested and tested and tested and recorded the temperature with the time.
I was aiming for a time of 2:35 so that all my tasks could complete with plenty of time and if something went wrong I had like 15 seconds to fix it.


That's exactly what we did for our alka seltzer chem timer/balloon task also. We used different numbers of similar sized ice cubes to change the temperature and reaction rate. We kept the number of alka tablets constant. (1 tablet)

I ended up taping both sides and using the extra strength alkaseltzer because it was slower than regular for some reason
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019?
Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Total Top 3 Placements: 100

Narwhalicorn
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: February 27th, 2017, 4:28 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Contact:

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby Narwhalicorn » May 23rd, 2018, 7:50 pm

Anyone have any idea what the topic or tasks are going to be like for next year?
shs ‘21

FermiGod
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: May 22nd, 2018, 8:20 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby FermiGod » May 23rd, 2018, 8:28 pm

Narwhalicorn wrote:Anyone have any idea what the topic or tasks are going to be like for next year?



I’d assume them being like simple machines as I recall from Division B few years ago?

User avatar
Kyanite
Member
Member
Posts: 187
Joined: November 6th, 2017, 8:43 am
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby Kyanite » May 23rd, 2018, 9:15 pm

Narwhalicorn wrote:Anyone have any idea what the topic or tasks are going to be like for next year?

I expect a complete remodel of the actions list, maybe going back to lifting up ping pong balls or something similar.

0ddrenaline
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: May 21st, 2015, 6:36 pm
Division: Grad
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby 0ddrenaline » May 23rd, 2018, 9:48 pm

Narwhalicorn wrote:Anyone have any idea what the topic or tasks are going to be like for next year?

If they use the same method as this year, allowing competitors to choose from a list of tasks, you can look at rules or forums from 2011 or 2010. These can give an idea of tasks that may be chosen. Some similar tasks are often repeated, so you could tinker with those tasks if you want to get a head start. They could also use the method of 2014 and 2015: allowing competitors to choose different energy transfer types. These rules and forums are the best resources you can get right now.

FermiGod wrote:I’d assume them being like simple machines as I recall from Division B few years ago?

I would bet against it, since (at least going back to 2010) simple machines have not been exclusively used in Division C. However, I'm pretty sure that some simple machines will be used next year, so it doesn't hurt to research these Division B rules.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 292
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Contact:

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby nicholasmaurer » May 24th, 2018, 9:03 am

0ddrenaline wrote:They could also use the method of 2014 and 2015: allowing competitors to choose different energy transfer types.


My impression is that they will not return to this particular approach, as it was difficult to implement and score, generating numerous appeals.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 159
Joined: January 30th, 2016, 8:03 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Contact:

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby Tesel » May 24th, 2018, 10:57 am

nicholasmaurer wrote:
0ddrenaline wrote:They could also use the method of 2014 and 2015: allowing competitors to choose different energy transfer types.


My impression is that they will not return to this particular approach, as it was difficult to implement and score, generating numerous appeals.


Also, I thought that they kept the style of the event constant for both years of the style - we might see energy transfers come back, but probably for a full 2-year rotation in the future.
MI Mission Possible State Champions!
2018: Portage/Haslett/Allendale/GVSU/MSU
Chem: 3/4/2/1/8
Hover: 1/2/1/1/6
MatSci: 2/1/2/1/3
Mission: 5/3/1/2/1

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3712
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Mission Possible C

Postby Unome » June 1st, 2018, 6:50 pm

The 2018 Tasks wiki page could use a little bit of work - in particular, some details on how the various tasks tended to be accomplished would be nice.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.


Return to “Mission Possible C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests