Disease Detectives B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Birdmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:33 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Location: In the Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Birdmusic » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Name some symptoms of lead poisoningand a possible source.
Science is an art.
Art is a science.

2018 Results
Regionals/States
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9

User avatar
Things2do
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 pm
Division: C
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not Colorado somewhere near the Utah border
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Things2do » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:02 am

If I'm right, someone else can go for me. I don't know anything about this event, but I think I heard something about this 5 years ago or so
Symptoms: Abdominal pain, Headache, Irritability, and maybe the gums turning blue? A cause typical to adults is drinking homemade alcoholic beverages that were made with a still that used parts of old car radiators. In case you don't like that answer: You can get it from ingesting leaded paint.

Sorry for writing a novel in the [hide] title.
2014
BB 4th

2015
CTW 1st/5th, Meteorology 1st, Wheeled Vehicle 1st.

2016
Scrambler 1st, CTW 1st, RS 2nd

2017
Scrambler 1st, DP 2nd, FF 3rd, R/M 4th, Optics NH/4th, RS N/A

2018
MV 1st, Remote Sensing solo 2nd, Optics 6th

View the full {colorless} signature here.
2, Regions: 14, State: 2

Birdmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:33 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Location: In the Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Birdmusic » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:48 am

Things2do wrote:
If I'm right, someone else can go for me. I don't know anything about this event, but I think I heard something about this 5 years ago or so
Symptoms: Abdominal pain, Headache, Irritability, and maybe the gums turning blue? A cause typical to adults is drinking homemade alcoholic beverages that were made with a still that used parts of old car radiators. In case you don't like that answer: You can get it from ingesting leaded paint.

Sorry for writing a novel in the [hide] title.


Looks correct!
Science is an art.
Art is a science.

2018 Results
Regionals/States
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:55 pm

Okay, no one's asked for a while so: what is age adjustment and why is it done?

Froggie
Member
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Froggie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:40 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Okay, no one's asked for a while so: what is age adjustment and why is it done?

Age adjustment is a technique used to compare two groups with different age distributions. (?)
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:07 am

Froggie wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Okay, no one's asked for a while so: what is age adjustment and why is it done?

Age adjustment is a technique used to compare two groups with different age distributions. (?)

Yep, your turn.

Froggie
Member
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.
Contact:

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Froggie » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:36 am

Sorry I forgot about this..
Some vocab questions (just define the word):
Active immunity
Confirmed cases
Probable cases
Possible cases
Hawthorne bias
Pathogenicity (of an agent)
Epi-curve
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie


Return to “2018 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest