Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: ID

Re: Events 2018-2019

Postby Tailsfan101 » June 29th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:Very true. Fun fact: This year's National DD test didn't have a single question based on foodborne illnesses...

I also heard the format was very different from years past, which would be unusual. The format had been consistent for many years.

Hm, I hadn't heard this (only heard the 40 minutes and no foodborne illnesses parts). Do you remember any details?

From what I remember, there was some basic knowledge at the beginning, followed by an outbreak of Y. pestis, and then an epi curve drawing at the end.
2019 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki (Division B)
State/Nats
Crime: 1/35
Road: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

State/Nats
DD: 1/16
DP: -/50
Road: 2/51
FF: 4/59

2019 events: Road Scholar, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Heredity
Assassinator for game #118

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby nicholasmaurer » June 30th, 2018, 9:39 am

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Unome wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
I also heard the format was very different from years past, which would be unusual. The format had been consistent for many years.

Hm, I hadn't heard this (only heard the 40 minutes and no foodborne illnesses parts). Do you remember any details?

From what I remember, there was some basic knowledge at the beginning, followed by an outbreak of Y. pestis, and then an epi curve drawing at the end.

In the past, the test consistently focused on 2-3 scenarios, at least one of which related to the topic for the year. The scenarios would have a long block of text (think 1-2 entire pages) explaining an outbreak, investigation, etc. followed by a series of questions. As the questions progressed, additional information would periodically be introduced (e.g. lab results) to address more complex questions. In this format, there were few - if any - freestanding knowledge questions; questions focused on applying concepts to the scenarios.

I was told that this year's exam instead had many shorter scenarios and freestanding questions. This format is perfectly valid - I have used it in exams I wrote - but would be a departure from the traditional format at the National Tournament dating back to at least 2012.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

pikachu4919
State: IN

Postby pikachu4919 » June 30th, 2018, 11:33 am

nicholasmaurer wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Unome wrote:Hm, I hadn't heard this (only heard the 40 minutes and no foodborne illnesses parts). Do you remember any details?

In the past, the test consistently focused on 2-3 scenarios, at least one of which related to the topic for the year. The scenarios would have a long block of text (think 1-2 entire pages) explaining an outbreak, investigation, etc. followed by a series of questions. As the questions progressed, additional information would periodically be introduced (e.g. lab results) to address more complex questions. In this format, there were few - if any - freestanding knowledge questions; questions focused on applying concepts to the scenarios.

I was told that this year's exam instead had many shorter scenarios and freestanding questions. This format is perfectly valid - I have used it in exams I wrote - but would be a departure from the traditional format at the National Tournament dating back to at least 2012.

Who said the tests had to stay traditional? ;)

[ik, ik, sometimes it's good to think outside of the box for test writing and sometimes that ends in total disaster, but still...]
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

MIT and Princeton 2018 Forensics ES
Assassinator #113

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » June 30th, 2018, 12:44 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:From what I remember, there was some basic knowledge at the beginning, followed by an outbreak of Y. pestis, and then an epi curve drawing at the end.

[ik, ik, sometimes it's good to think outside of the box for test writing and sometimes that ends in total disaster, but still...]

I'm just waiting for some Nationals ES to intentionally change their writing style just to troll competitors.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Postby nicholasmaurer » June 30th, 2018, 2:10 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:

I have no objection at all to utilizing different test styles; I just found the shift interesting after the format had stayed fixed for so long.

At the end of the day, format isn't what matters to me. I care that competitors receive quality tests that follow the rules and provide a good assessment of their knowledge. In my opinion, CDC has done a good job over the years of achieving that goal, and my students' only complaint this year was the lack of focus on food-borne illness. The format was acceptable - just different.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

pikachu4919

Postby pikachu4919 » June 30th, 2018, 3:33 pm

nicholasmaurer wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:

I have no objection at all to utilizing different test styles; I just found the shift interesting after the format had stayed fixed for so long.

At the end of the day, format isn't what matters to me. I care that competitors receive quality tests that follow the rules and provide a good assessment of their knowledge. In my opinion, CDC has done a good job over the years of achieving that goal, and my students' only complaint this year was the lack of focus on food-borne illness. The format was acceptable - just different.

Ah, didn't really mean to say there's something wrong with objecting to different test styles...
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20

MY CABBAGES!

Assassinator #113

Galahad
Division: B
State: HI

Postby Galahad » July 9th, 2018, 12:25 pm

any of yall got draft rules or the 2019 herp list yet
Here we go once again!

2018 Nats: Pots (6), Meteor (13), DD (25), Crime (26) Density (6)

Mililani/Iolani/Highlands/Kraemer/Regs/States/Nats
Pots -//////
Meteor 2//////
DD 1//////
Density -//////
Herp -//////
Game -//////

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Highlands_Intermediate_School

karanbe123
State: -

Postby karanbe123 » July 9th, 2018, 12:33 pm

rip
Last edited by karanbe123 on July 9th, 2018, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pikachu4919

Postby pikachu4919 » July 9th, 2018, 2:28 pm

karanbe123 wrote:
Galahad wrote:any of yall got draft rules or the 2019 herp list yet

Same I could really use those...

SOSI hasn't happened yet. That's when most of that stuff becomes more established. If anything's out now, it probably has quite a few more rounds of peer reviews among the higher ups left to go through before it's even close to what its final version will look like. (...right, chalker?)

If you're looking for things related to herp to study, then wouldn't hurt to look at stuff on the 2018 list since chances are some of those will return for next season or content about the specimens such as those described in rule 3.d. from the 2018 season.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20

MY CABBAGES!

Assassinator #113

chalker

Postby chalker » July 9th, 2018, 4:15 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:
Chill. SOSI hasn't even happened yet. That's when most of that stuff becomes more established. If anything's out now, it probably has quite a few more rounds of peer reviews among the higher ups left to go through before it's even close to what its final version will look like. (...right, chalker?)

Right..........although we do have our 'SOSI' versions locked down now.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » July 13th, 2018, 1:15 pm

As stated by scioly.org rules at scioly.org/rules, users may not request draft rules on this site. No further warnings will be provided; posts will be deleted and bans may be issued.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

luanne
Division: C
State: CA

Postby luanne » July 17th, 2018, 6:25 pm

YALL:
any tips on how to study for protein modeling??
anything appreciated
avatar: face on fridays and when electric vehicle caught on fire
assassinator #126

simicartan
State: -

Re: What will be the division C events for 2019?

Postby simicartan » July 17th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Unome wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:The Dynamic Planet topic should switch to glaciers next year, shouldn't it? Idk the topic rotations for any of the other events but I'm sure somebody will.

I've heard rumors of Glaciers, although the expected topic based on the rotation is Freshwater. Neither would surprise me.

what rumors though? i want to know

pikachu4919

Postby pikachu4919 » July 17th, 2018, 7:38 pm

luanne wrote:YALL:
any tips on how to study for protein modeling??
anything appreciated

[I placed 10th at nats in this event in 2016, thus I know what I'm talking about]

The CBM MSOE website should have everything you need to know, although I'd also suggest looking into additional sources for general protein biochemistry information. I definitely advise that you don't forget about the exam, but that you also remember to put lots of energy into building your prebuild model and practicing with jmol in prep for onsite. Those two models are worth 70 percent of your score, and your exam is only worth 30 percent. If you want to see examples of models, see some of the Best of Nationals wikis (particularly 2015/2016 or 2011/2012, as those were the last two pairs of years when protein was run), and the Protein Modeling event actually also has its own Facebook page, where it has posted photos of competitors with models that they brought to be judged for the 2016 National Tournament, which was the most recent year when protein was run.

Hope this is a good enough amount of info to get you started.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20

MY CABBAGES!

Assassinator #113

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » July 17th, 2018, 8:21 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:Protein Modeling event actually also has its own Facebook page

Wow I had no idea about this and just looked it up and its actually incredible that it exists. Being able to see what the TOP TEAMS IN THE NATION did for their prebuild regarding material and design is a HUGE advantage for all the users that see this post on this site.
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

Return to “General Chat”