Code Busters C [TX TRIAL]

Longivitis
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Code Busters C [TX TRIAL]

Postby Longivitis » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:08 pm

dragonfruit35 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Lol same here. idk how to code but then I investigate it and I was like hey! I love this kind of stuff! :)

Same, I had to jump back in a Sassy game to get back in the habit of solving ciphers :lol: . I know how to code pretty well but unless it's something more like Game On it's not all that interesting to me- this seems like it will be fun!

Do you guys think that if there IS a Spanish cryptogram, they would label it as being in a different language?

When I took the test at regionals, they do state the type of cipher you have to solve it for. Xenocrypts are ciphers in a different language, so when they say solve this xenocrypt you know it's going to be Spanish.

Then again, it's also helpful to have at least one Hispanic person so you don't have to struggle on learning a new language or risking some points.
CyLakes HS '19

2017-2018 Clements/Districts/Regionals

Codebusters: -/3/1
Game On: 14/2/4
Science Word: -/6/-
Towers: 10/3/3
We've Got Your Number: 11/4/3

Next Year Events: Boomilever, Chemistry Lab, Circuits, Code Busters, Fermi Questions, Sounds of Music

pdoradla
State: IL

Postby pdoradla » Sat May 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Hey everyone. The rules for Codebusters at nats this year say that competitors MIGHT be asked to encrypt, not decrypt, with the affine, Hill, and Vigenere ciphers. Does this mean we won't be asked to to decrypt the aforementioned, or that we probably won't?

DarthBuilder

Postby DarthBuilder » Sun May 13, 2018 1:49 am

pdoradla wrote:Hey everyone. The rules for Codebusters at nats this year say that competitors MIGHT be asked to encrypt, not decrypt, with the affine, Hill, and Vigenere ciphers. Does this mean we won't be asked to to decrypt the aforementioned, or that we probably won't?

It’s up to the supervisor.
Last edited by DarthBuilder on Sun May 13, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Trier 19’

Jibriel Saqibuddin
Regionals/State/nats 2017-2018

Towers:4/5/12
MTV:9/5/51;(

Anomaly
Division: B
State: PA

Postby Anomaly » Sun May 13, 2018 2:13 am

DarthBuilder wrote:
pdoradla wrote:Hey everyone. The rules for Codebusters at nats this year say that competitors MIGHT be asked to encrypt, not decrypt, with the affine, Hill, and Vigenere ciphers. Does this mean we won't be asked to to decrypt the aforementioned, or that we probably won't?

It’s up to the supervisor, (namedrop).

No namedrops please. (not anyone that I would know but just its a general rule)
Orefield MS Science Olympiad 2015-2018
2018: Anatomy and Physiology, Fast Facts, Road Scholar, Experimental Design
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 24
Regional: 14
State: 5
Past Events:
Air Trajectory, Disease Detectives, Food Science, Wind Power, Write It Do It

#livingalifeofdepression

DarthBuilder

Postby DarthBuilder » Sun May 13, 2018 2:23 am

Anomaly wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:

It’s up to the supervisor, (namedrop).

No namedrops please. (not anyone that I would know but just its a general rule)

Sorry about that.
New Trier 19’

Jibriel Saqibuddin
Regionals/State/nats 2017-2018

Towers:4/5/12
MTV:9/5/51;(

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Generally you can namedrop event supervisors if they are adults, and if you are not directly associating their name with their username without their permission. However, when in doubt it's usually a good policy to err on the side of caution.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Longivitis
State: TX

Postby Longivitis » Thu May 17, 2018 12:45 pm

There's a good chance that you will have to decrypt them, but it will be relatively easier than just showing the enrypted message and finding it on your own. For example, decrypting hill and vigenere ciphers will most likely provide the key, and the affine will most likely give you two letters, which is enough to be able to find the key.

Just know how each cipher works and you'll be fine.
CyLakes HS '19

2017-2018 Clements/Districts/Regionals

Codebusters: -/3/1
Game On: 14/2/4
Science Word: -/6/-
Towers: 10/3/3
We've Got Your Number: 11/4/3

Next Year Events: Boomilever, Chemistry Lab, Circuits, Code Busters, Fermi Questions, Sounds of Music

Return to “Lab Events”