Forensics C

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!] // H-Town! --> Philly
Contact:

Forensics C

Postby pikachu4919 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Forensics C: Given a scenario and some possible suspects, participants will perform a series of tests which along with other evidence or test results will be used to solve a crime.

Forensics Wiki

Forensics Test Exchange

Recommended Lab Equipment List for Div. C

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Past Question Marathons: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

MIT and Princeton 2018 Forensics ES
Assassinator #113

c21k
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:44 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Forensics C

Postby c21k » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Oh no...one sheet? Time to condense the 5 pages.
Did anyone see any other 'bigger' changes for this year?

Also, is there anyone willing to give some advice as to how to tell cotton and linen apart? I keep mixing them up
2018 Events:
[hide]R&M, Optics, Forensics, MP[/hide]
2019 Events:
[hide]Fossils, Sounds, Forensics, MP, Mousey [/hide]

User avatar
Person
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:27 am
Division: C
State: -
Location: ento
Contact:

Re: Forensics C

Postby Person » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:06 am

c21k wrote:Oh no...one sheet? Time to condense the 5 pages.
[...]

I may be interpreting the rules incorrectly, but wouldn't each team be allowed up to 2 sheets of paper?
I am a Person.
Past events: Solar Systems, Crave the Wave, ENTOMOLOGY, Dynamic Planet, Scrambler, Invasive Species, Forensics, Hydrogeology, Optics, Herpetology, Astronomy, Remote Sensing
#TehEntoCult ENTO IS LUV ENTO IS LYFE
Most Original Username 2016, 2017, 2018
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3504
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Forensics C

Postby Unome » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:21 am

Person wrote:
c21k wrote:Oh no...one sheet? Time to condense the 5 pages.
[...]

I may be interpreting the rules incorrectly, but wouldn't each team be allowed up to 2 sheets of paper?

That looks right to me.

(this still leaves teams with more than they had when I first started competing).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!] // H-Town! --> Philly
Contact:

Re: Forensics C

Postby pikachu4919 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:42 am

Unome wrote:
Person wrote:
c21k wrote:Oh no...one sheet? Time to condense the 5 pages.
[...]

I may be interpreting the rules incorrectly, but wouldn't each team be allowed up to 2 sheets of paper?

That looks right to me.

(this still leaves teams with more than they had when I first started competing).


I mean ig technically you're going down from 10 sheets to 2 :P

but anyways...

c21k wrote:Also, is there anyone willing to give some advice as to how to tell cotton and linen apart? I keep mixing them up


The key is in the burn test: while both will leave charred ends, cotton burns quite quickly, and when it stops burning, it leaves a really fine grey-ish ash where the fiber used to be. Linen burns for much longer, almost at a constant rate like a fuse on a bomb (like the kind you see on TV) while also giving off little sparks. While descriptions may help, I suggest you actually do the burn test for yourself to observe it so that you will know exactly what it looks like.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

MIT and Princeton 2018 Forensics ES
Assassinator #113

c21k
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:44 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Forensics C

Postby c21k » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Ok wait so the rules say " Each participant may bring an 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper that may contain information on both sides"
But each team has two participants. Does this mean we, in total, may have two 8.5” x 11” sheets of paper?
2018 Events:
[hide]R&M, Optics, Forensics, MP[/hide]
2019 Events:
[hide]Fossils, Sounds, Forensics, MP, Mousey [/hide]

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 5:55 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Contact:

Re: Forensics C

Postby nicholasmaurer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:23 pm

c21k wrote:Ok wait so the rules say " Each participant may bring an 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper that may contain information on both sides"
But each team has two participants. Does this mean we, in total, may have two 8.5” x 11” sheets of paper?


Yes.
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!] // H-Town! --> Philly
Contact:

Re: Forensics C

Postby pikachu4919 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:14 pm

nicholasmaurer wrote:
c21k wrote:Ok wait so the rules say " Each participant may bring an 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper that may contain information on both sides"
But each team has two participants. Does this mean we, in total, may have two 8.5” x 11” sheets of paper?


Yes.


What’s weird tho is that in the next line of rule 2.b. it says “This sheet” instead of something like “these sheets.” I guess if you interpret the rule before as each team member bringing a sheet, then it should still be two sheets, not one.

Disclaimer: this is my own opinion and may not reflect what SO, inc. actually intended with their wording. If this is something you want to clear up with them, submit an FAQ or Rule Clarification on soinc.org.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

MIT and Princeton 2018 Forensics ES
Assassinator #113

User avatar
Person
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:27 am
Division: C
State: -
Location: ento
Contact:

Re: Forensics C

Postby Person » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:06 am

pikachu4919 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
c21k wrote:Ok wait so the rules say " Each participant may bring an 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper that may contain information on both sides"
But each team has two participants. Does this mean we, in total, may have two 8.5” x 11” sheets of paper?


Yes.


What’s weird tho is that in the next line of rule 2.b. it says “This sheet” instead of something like “these sheets.” I guess if you interpret the rule before as each team member bringing a sheet, then it should still be two sheets, not one.

Disclaimer: this is my own opinion and may not reflect what SO, inc. actually intended with their wording. If this is something you want to clear up with them, submit an FAQ or Rule Clarification on soinc.org.

I assume they worded it that way because the previous sentence only referred to a single participant's sheet, and there could technically be just one team member competing.
I am a Person.
Past events: Solar Systems, Crave the Wave, ENTOMOLOGY, Dynamic Planet, Scrambler, Invasive Species, Forensics, Hydrogeology, Optics, Herpetology, Astronomy, Remote Sensing
#TehEntoCult ENTO IS LUV ENTO IS LYFE
Most Original Username 2016, 2017, 2018
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫


Return to “Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests