Protein Modeling C

Birdmusic
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Protein Modeling C

Postby Birdmusic » March 28th, 2019, 8:55 pm

I also reccomend checking out as much as you can here: http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/
It has a lot of information, and is great especially since you're just starting.
Thanks!
I like birds.
R/S
Crime Busters: 1/2
Disease Detectives: 1/5
Hovercraft (both builds failed, rip): 11/9
GGSO/R/S
Disease Detectives: 6/3/10
Circuit lab:11/4/-
Sounds:3/2/1
Protein: -/-/6

Greendown
State: NY

Postby Greendown » April 2nd, 2019, 6:13 pm

I think the overall structure should somewhat make a triangular shape when looking at it from the side. This kind of makes sense if you imagine the beta sheet forming the base of the triangle, and the second and third alpha helices crossing over in a way to represent the other sides of the triangle.
Is this what you mean? I know that I spent a lot of time trying to get this right.
Ya I think the triangle shape would be better seen if you orient the protein so the yellow beta sheet is at the bottom and the helices are on the top half.
Also, side note, reducing the thickness of the backbone may make it easier on the eyes :)
The entire time I thought it meant to make the three helices form a triangle so that’s what we made the model look like at every competition.

huppada
State: FL

Postby huppada » June 3rd, 2019, 2:45 pm

Hey, anyone know what the topic will be for next year?
Orlando Science Schools '20
2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Forensics, Protein Modeling

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Postby CookiePie1 » June 3rd, 2019, 2:57 pm

I'm pretty sure it doesn't get announced officially until rules come out, but they might have a good idea after SOSI. I'm not sure though, and correct me if I'm wrong.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN

Postby pikachu4919 » June 4th, 2019, 7:02 pm

I'm pretty sure it doesn't get announced officially until rules come out, but they might have a good idea after SOSI. I'm not sure though, and correct me if I'm wrong.
You could try regularly checking the official Protein Modeling website on MSOE CBM, but I'm not sure they'd leak any info about what it is there early...usually they're really good at keeping their materials secret.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » June 4th, 2019, 7:59 pm

You could try regularly checking the official Protein Modeling website on MSOE CBM, but I'm not sure they'd leak any info about what it is there early...usually they're really good at keeping their materials secret.
Speaking of keeping materials secret...
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Postby CookiePie1 » June 7th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Hey, I'd like to write an SSSS test on protein modeling. However, since the topic changes every year, I'm not quite sure what would be best to put on a test. I don't think it would be very helpful to use this year's topic since we will never have it again.

What topics/material do you guys like to study over the summer? What would you find the most helpful on a test?
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

cytochalasin22

Postby cytochalasin22 » June 9th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Hey, I'd like to write an SSSS test on protein modeling. However, since the topic changes every year, I'm not quite sure what would be best to put on a test. I don't think it would be very helpful to use this year's topic since we will never have it again.

What topics/material do you guys like to study over the summer? What would you find the most helpful on a test?
I was thinking about writing a protein modeling test for SSSS as well. Right now, I'm probably just going to focus on things like intermolecular forces and structures/motifs. I think that getting into the real nitty gritty stuff (mechanisms of denaturation, supersecondary structures) will help people prepare for invitationals like MIT and UPenn, where the ES's like to go a little crazy. The protein chemistry section of the UPenn test is a good example of what I want to emulate.

reddragon644
State: FL

Postby reddragon644 » June 24th, 2019, 3:19 pm

I'm probably going to be writing a protein biochemistry test as well for SSSS with LaTeX formatting, maybe with some in-depth stuff about the levels of structure. I am not very experienced with writing Science Olympiad material questions as this is my first year participating in Science Olympiad, but will try my best to write this test.
Orlando Science Schools '22
2019 Events: Protein Modeling, Circuit Lab, Fermi Questions (Sounds of Music, Mission Possible)
Centerville/Regionals/States
* = not participated
Protein Modeling: 20/1/16
Circuit Lab: 20/10/12
Fermi Questions: 5/2/5
Sounds of Music: */*/15
Mission Possible: */4/*

Pastaman202
Division: B
State: IL

Postby Pastaman202 » July 19th, 2019, 5:10 am

Does anyone know any good sources to people who just are starting out this event (like me)?

If so, thanks!
2018 events: Wright stuff, Potions, Hover, Herps
2019 Events: ELG, Potions, circuit, dp, Herps
2020 events (tentative): DP, orni, chem lab, circuit
2019 DP national champion (Div B)
DWJHS '19 captain
Wiki: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Pastaman202

Return to “2019 Lab Events”