Potions and Poisons B

Benewcomb
Division: B
State: IN

Re: Potions and Poisons B

Postby Benewcomb » February 28th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Hey, I just need to check. how many pages of notes can we take to state?
thx!
It’s gonna be me!

Crimesolver
State: CA

Postby Crimesolver » February 28th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Benewcomb wrote:Hey, I just need to check. how many pages of notes can we take to state?
thx!

One page, double sided
Current Events
R/S
Crime Busters 3rd/14th
Thermodynamics 4th/10th
Circuit Lab 4th/9th
Potions and Poisons 5th/3rd
Battery Buggy what a failure/7th

Keep on going :!:

Benewcomb
State: IN

Postby Benewcomb » March 2nd, 2019, 7:34 am

Crimesolver wrote:
Benewcomb wrote:Hey, I just need to check. how many pages of notes can we take to state?
thx!

One page, double sided

Thanks so much!
It’s gonna be me!

jxxu20
State: NJ

Postby jxxu20 » March 6th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Hi,

My state tournament is next week, and I was wondering to what extent ESs tend to test participants on conductivity testing. I know it's in the rulebook, but I haven't heard of anyone who got tested on it. I'd also like to know how to do that, so it'd be great if anyone could give me an explanation :)
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P

jimmy-bond
Division: C
State: HI

Postby jimmy-bond » March 6th, 2019, 5:35 pm

jxxu20 wrote:Hi,

My state tournament is next week, and I was wondering to what extent ESs tend to test participants on conductivity testing. I know it's in the rulebook, but I haven't heard of anyone who got tested on it. I'd also like to know how to do that, so it'd be great if anyone could give me an explanation :)

Heh, funny story...

Being in Hawaii, we don't have much of a picture about how we are against other teams across the nation, so we plan an annual trip to California for an invitational. Last year, I did Potions. When we were packing our kits (we have two teams) we found that we had only one conductivity tester. We debated and our Potions coach decided to give it to the other team because they were less experienced.

Lo and behold, our lab was conductivity and, as no one in the entire school was good in chemistry, I didn't know that I could use pH paper to determine conductivity.

Long story short, we got a goose egg on the lab and were one place below the other team, who botched up the lab. Also don't study exclusively for conductivity but be prepared.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Cornell here we come!

2019 States
Code Busters(1), DD(1), FQ(2), Forensics(1), WQ(5)

2018 Nats
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

Pastaman202
State: IL

Postby Pastaman202 » March 7th, 2019, 6:49 pm

according to the wiki page, wild carrot was changed to western water hemlock. I feel barely anyone knows of this rules change, so should I keep both on the cheat sheet and will tests like nats and states use wild carrot or hemlock?
2018 events: Wright stuff, Potions, Hover, Herps

2019 events: ELG, Herps, DP, Potions, Circuit

Boyce/Center/Hamilton/R/S/N
ELG: 6/10 (oof)/3/3/-/-
potions: 1/1/2/1/1/-
Circuit: 1/6/1/1/1/-
DP: 2/-/1/-/1/-
Herps: -/3(kinda)/2/2/2/-
DWJHS '19 captain

starfruit
State: VA

Postby starfruit » March 7th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Pastaman202 wrote:according to the wiki page, wild carrot was changed to western water hemlock. I feel barely anyone knows of this rules change, so should I keep both on the cheat sheet and will tests like nats and states use wild carrot or hemlock?

Nah, I would take it out and add extra information somewhere else. They aren't allowed to test you on wild carrots, so if you do see it, file an appeal. The question will probably be thrown out.
2019 events-
potions&poisons/heredity/crimebusters/codebusters

jimmy-bond
Division: C
State: HI

Postby jimmy-bond » March 8th, 2019, 8:07 am

Pastaman202 wrote:according to the wiki page, wild carrot was changed to western water hemlock. I feel barely anyone knows of this rules change, so should I keep both on the cheat sheet and will tests like nats and states use wild carrot or hemlock?

This was discussed earlier in this thread. I would keep both on the cheat sheet if there's enough room but if you're short on space, keep only hemlock.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Cornell here we come!

2019 States
Code Busters(1), DD(1), FQ(2), Forensics(1), WQ(5)

2018 Nats
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

19alekb
State: IL

Postby 19alekb » March 16th, 2019, 11:48 am

yeah, we took off wild carrot and added water hemlock. We didn't have enough space to keep wild carrot. I think they threw out wild carrot because it is the single most lame toxic organism ever. people literally eat it with no regard for the poison really. Water hemlock on the other hand is the most deadly plant in north america.
"You're as sharp as a marble."
Marie Murphy
18/19 events:
Circuit Lab, Density Lab, Solar System, Potions and Poisons

starfruit

Postby starfruit » March 16th, 2019, 7:17 pm

19alekb wrote:yeah, we took off wild carrot and added water hemlock. We didn't have enough space to keep wild carrot. I think they threw out wild carrot because it is the single most lame toxic organism ever. people literally eat it with no regard for the poison really. Water hemlock on the other hand is the most deadly plant in north america.

Yeah I was kind of confused when I was researching it cause it seemed pretty safe to ingest for the most part.
2019 events-

Rivkaaa
State: NY

Postby Rivkaaa » March 17th, 2019, 9:12 am

starfruit wrote:
19alekb wrote:yeah, we took off wild carrot and added water hemlock. We didn't have enough space to keep wild carrot. I think they threw out wild carrot because it is the single most lame toxic organism ever. people literally eat it with no regard for the poison really. Water hemlock on the other hand is the most deadly plant in north america.

Yeah I was kind of confused when I was researching it cause it seemed pretty safe to ingest for the most part.

I, for one, am glad that it was taken off. It's much more interesting researching an extremely toxic organism.
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy

Froggie
State: PA

Postby Froggie » March 19th, 2019, 11:31 am

With one page of notes, how is everyone putting the periodic table in them? I can't seem to be able to fit a periodic table that I can see.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Crimesolver
State: CA

Postby Crimesolver » March 19th, 2019, 11:56 am

Froggie wrote:With one page of notes, how is everyone putting the periodic table in them? I can't seem to be able to fit a periodic table that I can see.

I actually put it in really well. Maybe it's because I don't have a lot of info lol. I just took a really clear periodic table color coded and added the values myself. I's about 1/4 of the page, landscape.
Current Events
R/S
Crime Busters 3rd/14th
Thermodynamics 4th/10th
Circuit Lab 4th/9th
Potions and Poisons 5th/3rd
Battery Buggy what a failure/7th

Keep on going :!:

starfruit

Postby starfruit » March 23rd, 2019, 9:18 pm

Crimesolver wrote:
Froggie wrote:With one page of notes, how is everyone putting the periodic table in them? I can't seem to be able to fit a periodic table that I can see.

I actually put it in really well. Maybe it's because I don't have a lot of info lol. I just took a really clear periodic table color coded and added the values myself. I's about 1/4 of the page, landscape.

Yeah we don't have a ton of information in our notes (cause a lot of it you just have to know) but if you want to clear up extra space, delete the margins, make the font size 6 (or smaller if you can), and use a narrower font. Consider what you have memorized, and think about deleting stuff you already know. We actually ended up making our own chart to fit our needs, so think about that too.
Last edited by starfruit on March 25th, 2019, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 events-

Rivkaaa
State: NY

Postby Rivkaaa » March 24th, 2019, 9:12 am

starfruit wrote:
Crimesolver wrote:

Yeah we don't have a ton of information in our notes cause a lot of it you just have to know but if you want to clear up extra space, delete the margins, make the font size 6 (or smaller if you can), and use a narrower font. Consider what you have memorized, and think about deleting stuff you already know. We actually ended up making our own chart to fit our needs, so think about that too.

We made our information a 4-5 font, Arial, and were able to squeeze in bigger pictures of important things, such as the periodic table, as well as charts to help us fill questions out as quickly and accurately as possible. We still have space left over, so it's a bonus for us to add whatever we need to in the days leading up to states.
2018 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Microbe Mission
2019 events: Crime Busters, Potions and Poisons, Water Quality
Bay Academy

Return to “Lab Events”