Disease Detectives B/C

fastllama
Division: C
State: -

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby fastllama » May 12th, 2019, 6:27 pm

opal555 wrote:Any advice for nationals? It's the first time for our school and I don't know what to expect.

I agree with Tailsfan101, since that's one of the most challenging aspects about the nationals tests. I would also practice outbreak scenarios because the entire test is like solving an outbreak that you're dealt with. Make sure you know how to APPLY your knowledge. The test has very little (if at all) reliance on memorization, but application is key.

jimmy-bond
State: HI

Postby jimmy-bond » May 16th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Tailsfan101 wrote:
opal555 wrote:Any advice for nationals? It's the first time for our school and I don't know what to expect.

The National DD tests tend to be quite long (~20 pages), so my advice is to split up the test, if that isn't already your strategy. They also tend to have one or two outbreak scenarios.

Yeah. I distinctly remember the test two years ago being around 36 pages. It's not so much concepts you study for; it's more about using logic.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Season's over, I can sleep now.

2019 Nats
Code Busters(16), DD(40), FQ(39), Forensics(36), WQ(27)

2018 Nats
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

opal555

Postby opal555 » May 25th, 2019, 10:10 am

jimmy-bond wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:

The National DD tests tend to be quite long (~20 pages), so my advice is to split up the test, if that isn't already your strategy. They also tend to have one or two outbreak scenarios.

Yeah. I distinctly remember the test two years ago being around 36 pages. It's not so much concepts you study for; it's more about using logic.

thank you

opal555

Postby opal555 » May 26th, 2019, 5:05 pm

I just wanted to confirm that this is the proper way to write a case description.

The time it happened (onset)
Place it happened.
Characteristics of people affected
Symptoms

Is there anything I have to add?

opal555

Postby opal555 » May 26th, 2019, 5:17 pm

What's the difference between an experimental study and a cohort study? It seems so similar.

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » May 26th, 2019, 5:58 pm

opal555 wrote:What's the difference between an experimental study and a cohort study? It seems so similar.

In an experimental study, you subject people to an exposure while in a cohort study, you find people who have already been subjected to an exposure. A cohort study is often used because it isn't ethical to introduce an exposure like sex or smoking cigarettes into an experimental group.

opal555

Postby opal555 » May 27th, 2019, 5:40 pm

opal555 wrote:
jimmy-bond wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:The National DD tests tend to be quite long (~20 pages), so my advice is to split up the test, if that isn't already your strategy. They also tend to have one or two outbreak scenarios.

thank you

BTW, are there things like identifying parts of, say, a line listing, or what type of data or table it is?

roykim
State: GA

Postby roykim » June 18th, 2019, 6:24 pm

I know that the rules for the next season aren't out but at least for this season, were their any instances where competitors had to apply Kaplan-Meier analysis to given data?
Chattahoochee High School
2020 Events
Circuit Lab
Codebusters
Disease Detectives
Dynamic Planet
Fossils
Machines
Protein Modeling

Roykim's Userpage

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » June 18th, 2019, 7:26 pm

roykim wrote:I know that the rules for the next season aren't out but at least for this season, were their any instances where competitors had to apply Kaplan-Meier analysis to given data?

I sincerely doubt it, but I guess I'll let other people respond.

Froggie
Division: B

Postby Froggie » June 18th, 2019, 8:15 pm

roykim wrote:I know that the rules for the next season aren't out but at least for this season, were their any instances where competitors had to apply Kaplan-Meier analysis to given data?

I did disease for two years and I don't know what that is.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » June 18th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Froggie wrote:

I did disease for two years and I don't know what that is.

B division barely has statistical analysis anyway, so you're good

jxxu20
State: NJ

Postby jxxu20 » July 23rd, 2019, 1:27 pm

This might be a little bit early, but should participants in Division C know Koch's Postulates? I'm new to this event and did research on everything mentioned in 2019's rules, which included Hill's criteria for causality; thus, is it necessary to research the postulates? Also, this question has definitely been asked already, but to what extent do participants in Division C need to understand statistical analysis? Thank you!
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P

amk578
State: IN

Postby amk578 » July 23rd, 2019, 2:10 pm

jxxu20 wrote:This might be a little bit early, but should participants in Division C know Koch's Postulates? I'm new to this event and did research on everything mentioned in 2019's rules, which included Hill's criteria for causality; thus, is it necessary to research the postulates? Also, this question has definitely been asked already, but to what extent do participants in Division C need to understand statistical analysis? Thank you!

It wouldn't hurt to know Koch's postulates, as it may come up as it comes as part of the history of epidemiology, but I haven't seen it on a Div C test as of yet.
The wiki is a good place as it lists what advanced statistics are important, but doesn't really explain how to use those. I'm pretty sure the advanced statistics are covered in the WHO textbook, and are likely also covered in the CDC textbook. Tests can basically give you a set of data and ask you to apply a statistical analysis measure to it, so knowing the advanced stats is pretty helpful.
Events

2018 - anatomy, crime, road
2019 - anatomy, disease, heredity, road

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » July 27th, 2019, 9:20 am

amk578 wrote:
jxxu20 wrote:This might be a little bit early, but should participants in Division C know Koch's Postulates? I'm new to this event and did research on everything mentioned in 2019's rules, which included Hill's criteria for causality; thus, is it necessary to research the postulates? Also, this question has definitely been asked already, but to what extent do participants in Division C need to understand statistical analysis? Thank you!

It wouldn't hurt to know Koch's postulates, as it may come up as it comes as part of the history of epidemiology, but I haven't seen it on a Div C test as of yet.
The wiki is a good place as it lists what advanced statistics are important, but doesn't really explain how to use those. I'm pretty sure the advanced statistics are covered in the WHO textbook, and are likely also covered in the CDC textbook. Tests can basically give you a set of data and ask you to apply a statistical analysis measure to it, so knowing the advanced stats is pretty helpful.

You should know what Koch's Postulates are.

I'm not sure what you're meaning by advanced stats though. Which statistics/tests are you referring to?

astercats7

Postby astercats7 » August 4th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could please explain how to find the predicted date of exposure based on just an epi-curve? (with no info about the actual disease). Thanks!!

Return to “Study Events”