Disease Detectives B/C

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » August 4th, 2019, 4:26 pm

astercats7 wrote:Hi, I was wondering if anyone could please explain how to find the predicted date of exposure based on just an epi-curve? (with no info about the actual disease). Thanks!!

That seems impossible unless you have some knowledge of the incubation period of the disease so that you can count back from the peak of the epidemic (assuming a point source epi-curve)

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Anomaly » August 4th, 2019, 4:53 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
astercats7 wrote:Hi, I was wondering if anyone could please explain how to find the predicted date of exposure based on just an epi-curve? (with no info about the actual disease). Thanks!!

That seems impossible unless you have some knowledge of the incubation period of the disease so that you can count back from the peak of the epidemic (assuming a point source epi-curve)

(Disclaimer: I don't know how true this is) I've read somewhere that the units of the x axis (the time) is equal to 1/4 to 1/3 of the incubation period of the disease. Say for example the units on the bottom of an epi-curve is 4 days between each mark (ex. month is January, and starts with 3, then 7, then 11, etc), then the incubation period for the disease is likely 9 to 12 days, and from there you can count back 9 to 12 days from the peak of the epidemic and find the predicted date of exposure?

warning im also really bad at this event don't take this into account 100%
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Disease Detectives, Write It Do It

astercats7

Postby astercats7 » August 4th, 2019, 5:49 pm

That’s what I thought lol

astercats7

Postby astercats7 » August 4th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Anomaly wrote:

(Disclaimer: I don't know how true this is) I've read somewhere that the units of the x axis (the time) is equal to 1/4 to 1/3 of the incubation period of the disease. Say for example the units on the bottom of an epi-curve is 4 days between each mark (ex. month is January, and starts with 3, then 7, then 11, etc), then the incubation period for the disease is likely 9 to 12 days, and from there you can count back 9 to 12 days from the peak of the epidemic and find the predicted date of exposure?

warning im also really bad at this event don't take this into account 100%

Thank you so much!!

PeriodicPenguins82
Division: B
State: OH

Postby PeriodicPenguins82 » August 5th, 2019, 1:32 pm

This is my first year doing disease detectives, so I do not know much about this event other than what I read. However, it seems that the topic switches year to year. Does anyone know what the topic is for the 2019-2020 year?

Umaroth
State: CA
Location: Kraemer Room 504, Troy Room 901, or studying at my dining table

Postby Umaroth » August 5th, 2019, 2:26 pm

PeriodicPenguins82 wrote:This is my first year doing disease detectives, so I do not know much about this event other than what I read. However, it seems that the topic switches year to year. Does anyone know what the topic is for the 2019-2020 year?

I don't do this event, but I believe they stopped rotating topics
Proud Padre of Kraemer SciOly
Kraemer SciOly Co-Captain 2018-2019
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-2019
Kraemer SciOly Online Liaison/Resource Manager/Assistant Coach 2019-2020

Umaroth's Userpage

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » August 5th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Umaroth wrote:
PeriodicPenguins82 wrote:This is my first year doing disease detectives, so I do not know much about this event other than what I read. However, it seems that the topic switches year to year. Does anyone know what the topic is for the 2019-2020 year?

As of 2019, there is no topic.

PeriodicPenguins82

Postby PeriodicPenguins82 » August 6th, 2019, 7:35 am

Umaroth wrote:

Thank you!

PeriodicPenguins82

Postby PeriodicPenguins82 » August 6th, 2019, 7:36 am

Umaroth wrote:

Thank you!

Return to “Study Events”