Golf Ball Task

chessbucket
State: -

Re: Golf Ball Task

Postby chessbucket » October 14th, 2018, 7:10 pm

retired1 wrote:One possible way to use the least water would be to get a small section of 2" PVC pipe. Cut the exit end on something like a 45 degree bevel.
A float could be a piece of wood also cut on a bevel to force the golf ball to go where you want it to go. Since I have it, I would use a 1 3/4" hole saw to cut it our of a 2 x 4. Consider using poly urethane or a spray lacquer on it to waterproof it. Alternative is to microwave it for 1 min on high to dry it out. Caution, the wood will swell slightly from the water. Best to have 2 dry ones. By making it a little bit taller you could control the time by controlling the starting amount of water in the pipe.
Options for the wood could be a proper size plastic fish bobber or a large cork.

I like this idea. Its simple and seems hard to mess up at first glance at least
2019: Nationals Mission Possible 2nd
2019: NC Mission Possible 2nd
2018: NC Mission Possible 1st

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

absolutezerok3
Division: C
State: MI

Postby absolutezerok3 » November 25th, 2018, 11:05 am

I have a simple solution but it might be problematic depending on what a container is.

Does the container for the golf ball have to be able to hold the ball through it's entire length. For example, could you have a narrower section connected to a wider section which holds the golf ball, with the entire apparatus being considered a container?
1|states MTV

Disease Detectives| Mousetrap Vehicle | Circuit Lab | Mission Possible |Boomilever.

5 years and counting!!

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » November 25th, 2018, 11:12 am

absolutezerok3 wrote:I have a simple solution but it might be problematic depending on what a container is.

Does the container for the golf ball have to be able to hold the ball through it's entire length. For example, could you have a narrower section connected to a wider section which holds the golf ball, with the entire apparatus being considered a container?

i see no reason why this wouldn't be allowed.
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions :cry: , Circuit Lab

--
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Chikoo10

Postby Chikoo10 » December 6th, 2018, 5:48 pm

What are you guys using for the buoy? I've tried wood (pretty low density balsa) and 3D print material, but so far to no avail. Any ideas for materials?

TheSquaad

Postby TheSquaad » December 7th, 2018, 5:07 am

Chikoo10 wrote:What are you guys using for the buoy? I've tried wood (pretty low density balsa) and 3D print material, but so far to no avail. Any ideas for materials?

Styrofoam works very well.

Nagooyen

Golf ball container

Postby Nagooyen » December 7th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Does the container in which the golf ball rises from have to allow the judge to see the golf ball at all times like does the container have to be clear? Or can I have a pvc pipe? How would they judge if it goes up 5 cm

TheSquaad

Re: Golf ball container

Postby TheSquaad » December 7th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Nagooyen wrote:Does the container in which the golf ball rises from have to allow the judge to see the golf ball at all times like does the container have to be clear? Or can I have a pvc pipe? How would they judge if it goes up 5 cm

I’m guessing they’ll measure from the ball in the starting position to when it’s high enough to roll out. You should try to make the ball accessible so it’s not to hard for them.

Additionally, I see no reason why the tube would have to be clear. The rules only state that every action must be visible, and as long as you can peer down the hole in the top of your container, you should be fine.

masterprocrastinator

Postby masterprocrastinator » February 5th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Can you put tape on the golf ball? Would that count as unmodified?

Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Postby Tesel » February 5th, 2019, 5:37 pm

masterprocrastinator wrote:Can you put tape on the golf ball? Would that count as unmodified?

I would say no - you should be able to swap out your golf ball with a new, regulation golf ball and have it work perfectly.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions

teamblueorange

Postby teamblueorange » February 10th, 2019, 8:50 am

hello, just a clarification is salt water illegal to utilize in the event?

CookiePie1
State: NJ

Postby CookiePie1 » February 10th, 2019, 11:57 am

teamblueorange wrote:hello, just a clarification is salt water illegal to utilize in the event?

Yes, it's illegal only for tasks that mention water. Check the FAQs; they might answer a lot of your questions.
South Brunswick High School '22
2019 Events: Thermodynamics, Protein Modeling, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

PM2017
State: CA

Postby PM2017 » February 10th, 2019, 1:19 pm

CookiePie1 wrote:
teamblueorange wrote:hello, just a clarification is salt water illegal to utilize in the event?

Yes, it's illegal only for tasks that mention water. Check the FAQs; they might answer a lot of your questions.

It's not necessarily illegal to use salt water in this action -- just make sure that the water that is added is pure (for example, adding pure water to already super salty water.)
2018 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

2019 Events
Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions :cry: , Circuit Lab

--
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

chessbucket

Postby chessbucket » April 14th, 2019, 10:05 am

Anyone else having trouble with leaks? My water reservoir (that fills up the containter with the golf ball) has a plug that leaks a LITTLE bit (~1cm^3/min) into the golfball container. It doesnt leak enough to move the golfball and buoy but would this be a penalty as for rule 4j?
2019: Nationals Mission Possible 2nd
2019: NC Mission Possible 2nd
2018: NC Mission Possible 1st

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Return to “Mission Possible C”