Texas 2019

cool hand luke
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: October 4th, 2016, 10:04 am
Division: B
State: TX

Re: Texas 2019

Postby cool hand luke » May 21st, 2019, 9:09 am

I've been looking at the last 4 years of division B results, and found this pretty interesting.

Place 2016 2017 2018 2019
1 36 43 57 60
2 89 118 94 134
3 136 123 115 139
4 166 160 190 146
5 177 173 193 171


At first I was mildly hopeful since Beckendorf has been slowly doing a little worse each year. Then I looked and realized that while they are having higher scores, no one is really closing the gap on them. what's happened is there are several teams now in the group right behind Beckendorff that are relatively competitive with each other and there are no longer huge score gaps between 2-5th place.

User avatar
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 186
Joined: December 4th, 2017, 7:09 pm
Division: Grad
State: TX
Contact:

Re: Texas 2019

Postby Riptide » May 21st, 2019, 9:20 am

cool hand luke wrote:I've been looking at the last 4 years of division B results, and found this pretty interesting.

Place 2016 2017 2018 2019
1 36 43 57 60
2 89 118 94 134
3 136 123 115 139
4 166 160 190 146
5 177 173 193 171


At first I was mildly hopeful since Beckendorf has been slowly doing a little worse each year. Then I looked and realized that while they are having higher scores, no one is really closing the gap on them. what's happened is there are several teams now in the group right behind Beckendorff that are relatively competitive with each other and there are no longer huge score gaps between 2-5th place.

Before teams will be competitive with Beckendorff, the 2nd place team must first be challenged. Kealing has had no reason to try to challenge Beckendorff when they’ve had a pretty easy time getting 2nd place.
University of California at Berkeley '23
Seven Lakes High School '19
Seven Lakes Junior High '15

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3007
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Contact:

Re: Texas 2019

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » May 21st, 2019, 9:28 am

Riptide wrote:
cool hand luke wrote:I've been looking at the last 4 years of division B results, and found this pretty interesting.

Place 2016 2017 2018 2019
1 36 43 57 60
2 89 118 94 134
3 136 123 115 139
4 166 160 190 146
5 177 173 193 171


At first I was mildly hopeful since Beckendorf has been slowly doing a little worse each year. Then I looked and realized that while they are having higher scores, no one is really closing the gap on them. what's happened is there are several teams now in the group right behind Beckendorff that are relatively competitive with each other and there are no longer huge score gaps between 2-5th place.

Before teams will be competitive with Beckendorff, the 2nd place team must first be challenged. Kealing has had no reason to try to challenge Beckendorff when they’ve had a pretty easy time getting 2nd place.

I don't know that I agree with that; Kealing has only won second in the last three, and two of those were by just 5 points (AAH got 2nd in 2016).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

cool hand luke
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: October 4th, 2016, 10:04 am
Division: B
State: TX

Re: Texas 2019

Postby cool hand luke » May 21st, 2019, 10:44 am

if keeling doesn't absolutely bomb an event like they did this year that might be tough. I wonder what they did to get a 30 in experimental design.

ASK8
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: April 1st, 2017, 12:29 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Texas 2019

Postby ASK8 » May 21st, 2019, 11:30 am

Ok as the main captain at Kealing there's a lot that happens that contributes to the reason why we haven't narrowed the gap between Beckendorf yet (although there is no doubt that bdjh is better than us).

The majority of the time it's not due to a lack of experience in an event or that device was absolute trash to begin with. There have been quite a few careless mistakes but we've also just had terrible experiences with proctors this year which has made it a lot harder to close that gap.

There are also quite a few careless mistakes that happen. Here are some examples:
- During state our mystery team knocked down what they made (it held the 10 weights that were given perfectly and would've gotten them 1st) and then rebuilt it but with only 3 weights so when they were asked to use 10 it didn't hold for long enough.
- For buggy the person who built the device lost his logs as well as the copies of his logs.

Experimental design though is a completely different story.. our scores got switched with B7 because our team number (b4) looked like B7 to the proctors, so the B7 team got first... rip

cool hand luke
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: October 4th, 2016, 10:04 am
Division: B
State: TX

Re: Texas 2019

Postby cool hand luke » May 21st, 2019, 6:49 pm

Glad we weren’t the only ones with log issues. Night before we printed out thermo and battery buggy logs. Kid stuck both in the thermo binder and got us penalized on buggy.

User avatar
JoeyC
Member
Member
Posts: 193
Joined: November 7th, 2017, 1:43 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Texas 2019

Postby JoeyC » May 23rd, 2019, 2:18 pm

A good majority of time logs aren't printed until the day of for me (sometimes even at the invitational 5 minutes before impound). You should be fine.
Ohayo!
Past (Main) Events
Dynamic Planet Fast Facts, Thermodynamics, Green Generation

Current Events
Dynamic Planet Protein Modeling, Thermodynamics, More to (hopefully) come!

Away for the Summer! (see ya)

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 388
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Texas 2019

Postby sciolyperson1 » May 23rd, 2019, 3:49 pm

JoeyC wrote:A good majority of time logs aren't printed until the day of for me (sometimes even at the invitational 5 minutes before impound). You should be fine.


I tend to print ~3 copies of practice logs, data tables, rules, and other info sheets for each event lol
HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


'17: Scrambler - Towers - Mission
'18: Buggy - Towers - WIDI
'19: Buggy - Roller - Mystery - Boomi
'20: Gravity - Boomi - PPP - Detector? - Wright? - WIDI?

Taliphate
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: April 3rd, 2016, 8:37 am
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Texas 2019

Postby Taliphate » August 10th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Hey Everyone,

We hope you’re ready for another exciting season of Science Olympiad! To help kick off the year, we’ll be hosting our second annual free ATX Scioly Coaches Clinic on September 28th, 2019 from 8:00 A.M to 3:00 P.M on UT’s campus.

Sign Up Here!: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfp3FE5o9aviLVhOC3swu8IUsLU0Rb8E5uvG6-C0CHtC022oA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Coaches Clinic Topics:

Team Logistics: Three workshops centered around running and maintaining a Science Olympiad team. This includes Resource Procurement (test-trading networks, procuring study materials, team sponsorship), Running a Science Olympiad Team (recruitment, team maintenance, motivation and accountability, travel, performance assessment), and Study Event Resources (cheat sheets, binder making, textbook acquisition).

Master Classes: Two workshops that will focus in depth on the Astronomy and Data Science events. Our speakers will be Aditya Shah, one of the national event proctors for the Astronomy event and Dhruva Karkada, creator of the Data Science event (which is now an official Texas Trial Event).

Event Workshops: Five workshops that will focus on how to prepare and study for various Science Olympiad events. These workshops will focus on the new Science Olympiad events in each event grouping.

This event will be free of charge and we hope we’ll be able to pass on all of our experience and love for Science Olympiad to everyone in the community. See you there!
University of Texas at Austin '22
LASA High School '18
Kealing Middle School '14

dkarkada
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: January 25th, 2016, 9:37 am
Division: Grad
State: TX

Re: Texas 2019

Postby dkarkada » August 14th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Taliphate wrote:Master Classes: Two workshops that will focus in depth on the Astronomy and Data Science events. Our speakers will be Aditya Shah, one of the national event proctors for the Astronomy event and Dhruva Karkada, creator of the Data Science event (which is now an official Texas Trial Event).

I'm really excited to be trialling the Data Science event. I think it's a great way for students to become familiar with programming, while also exploring the exciting intersection of computer science and statistics. You can find the rules here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oQsrk6S1baqlnJHFhSrCbFOnfFMlphJL/view?usp=sharing

Feel free to email me (dkarkada@gmail.com) or message me on Facebook if you have questions!


Return to “Regionals and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests