Thermodynamics B/C Build

TheChiScientist
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Thermodynamics B/C Build

Postby TheChiScientist » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Jacobi wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
Jacobi wrote:What kind of model do you use to predict temperature? I used a simple exponential model, but it was hard to correct for the specific heat of the device.

Any and all help appreciated.

Is your exponential model based on a line of best fit or one data set only? I would recommend sticking to one data set as it is less time consuming and the use simple exponential model. That should make work easier... Not sure what else could be done but it did help me get 1st place at the ISO state tournament. :D Feel free to ask questions as I am happy to help. (Shame I ain't doing thermo this year...) :cry:

We did lots of data sets on various runs.

Hum. Ok then given that what you're doing is fine because it would help reduce error unless your standard deviation is too high...
A Science Olympian from 2015 -To Present
Medal Count:21 8-)
Current Events
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design

Background In
Thermo, Exp Design, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Ecology, Fermi

School: Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120 ;)

JoeyC
Division: C
State: TX

Postby JoeyC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:24 pm

Jacobi wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
Jacobi wrote:What kind of model do you use to predict temperature? I used a simple exponential model, but it was hard to correct for the specific heat of the device.

Any and all help appreciated.

Is your exponential model based on a line of best fit or one data set only? I would recommend sticking to one data set as it is less time consuming and the use simple exponential model. That should make work easier... Not sure what else could be done but it did help me get 1st place at the ISO state tournament. :D Feel free to ask questions as I am happy to help. (Shame I ain't doing thermo this year...) :cry:

We did lots of data sets on various runs.

You should be fine. I personally use logarithmic because I think it makes more sense, but as long as you can predict a temperature with it, it should be fine; given the amount of mishaps that can occur when running, there is no 100% accurate (in practical terms) graph.
Ohayo!
Past (Main) Events
Dynamic Planet Fast Facts, Thermodynamics, Green Generation

Current Events
Dynamic Planet Protein Modeling, Thermodynamics, More to (hopefully) come!

DarkSparklyUnicorn
State: -

Postby DarkSparklyUnicorn » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:21 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:So what type of thermometers do you guys use for maximum accuracy? (I go digital)

Since I'm a foodie, I have my trusty thermapen to use. It's fast, accurate, but also pretty expensive. Best food thermometer I've ever used.

Return to “Thermodynamics B/C”