Troy (CA) Looking for an Invitational to Attend

Area to advertise for your competitions!
TroySciOly
Division: C
State: CA

Troy (CA) Looking for an Invitational to Attend

Postby TroySciOly » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:56 pm

The past two seasons, Troy (CA) has largely maintained a stable list of invites: Troy, Mira Loma, MIT, and Golden Gate. Unfortunately (as has been the case for many other teams across the country) the 2018-2019 season has created some scheduling conflicts. Specifically for Troy:

• MIT and Mira Loma are both on 1/12/19.
  • Golden Gate and Regionals are both on 2/9/19. (N.B. For the 2016-17 season, Troy sent one team to each of these competitions. However, starting the 2017-18 season, SoCal State Science Olympiad has in place a rule expressly disallowing this practice.)

After some consideration, Troy has chosen to attend Mira Loma on 1/12/19 with two teams. Therefore, the schedule currently appears as follows:

• Troy (12/8/18)
  • Mira Loma (1/12/19)
  • Regionals (2/9/19)

Troy would like to attend one more invitational (with two teams) in January or February. In researching the various possibilities, the following three factors are being weighed:

• Strength of competition: this has special import since neither MIT nor Golden Gate will be on the schedule
  • Location: ease of travel, especially considering the winter season; public transit is a huge plus
  • Date: before Regionals is preferred

With that in mind, Troy's top possibilities are (in no particular order):

• Yale (1/26/19): date is ideal, coming two weeks before/after other competitions; cons are question marks about who will be there and it being moderately inaccessible (one hour from BDL by car or two hours from NYC by train)
  • SOUP (2/16/19): location is great and easily accessible, there should be some high level competition; the date after Regionals is not ideal
  • Cornell (2/16/19): some great competition has already signed up and it is the site of this season's Nationals; getting to/from Ithaca in the middle of winter is (potentially) a nightmare and the date is also after Regionals

Finally, while Troy would love to attend more than one of these competitions, it typically only flies out to the East Coast once during the invitational season.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated before a final decision is made in the next couple weeks.

John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Troy (CA) Looking for an Invitational to Attend

Postby John Richardsim » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:04 am

All three of the top picks you listed are University-hosted. Is that something in particular you are looking for or not?
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:15 am

I'm just going to throw out an additional suggestion; the Solon Invitational, currently scheduled for 2/2, frequently has strong competition; 2018 saw Mason, Mentor, Stevenson, New Trier, Northville, Grand Haven, International Academy, and other Nationals veterans and contenders competing. The tradeoff being that while it is scheduled before your regionals, the location draw may not be as strong as with SOUP or Cornell. You are free to take or leave this, of course; I have no doubt that you already have a strong hold on what you are looking for.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Pettywap
Division: B
State: PA

Postby Pettywap » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:16 am

(Top to bottom pick): Cornell, SOUP, Yale
"Who's Fettywap?"

John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod

Postby John Richardsim » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:34 am

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:...Northville, Grand Haven, International Academy...

Don't forget about OTHER TROY
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Postby nicholasmaurer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:38 am

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I'm just going to throw out an additional suggestion; the Solon Invitational, currently scheduled for 2/2, frequently has strong competition; 2018 saw Mason, Mentor, Stevenson, New Trier, Northville, Grand Haven, International Academy, and other Nationals veterans and contenders competing. The tradeoff being that while it is scheduled before your regionals, the location draw may not be as strong as with SOUP or Cornell. You are free to take or leave this, of course; I have no doubt that you already have a strong hold on what you are looking for.

I appreciate you saving me from starting this shameless plug myself!

The Solon HS invitational is conveniently located 30 minutes from a major airport, which makes us substantially more accessible than other options you listed (e.g. Cornell). So far we already have the following teams signed up to attend for 2019: Mason, Mounds View, Northville, Stevenson, New Trier, Bayard Rustin, IA - Central, Troy (MI), and Mentor. These teams have all been frequent national contenders - and I expect a few more as September rolls on. We'd love to have you attend!
Assistant Coach and Alumni ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Co-Director - Northeast Ohio Region

MIScioly1

Postby MIScioly1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:34 am

I might add that if you are interested in attending a University invite, you may need to register sooner than a couple of weeks - these can fill up extremely quickly, as I'm sure you know from MIT. Unless they are willing to open up a slot for you. I would pitch the UMSO invite, but our date is also after your regionals (February 16th). We are very close to DTW airport and have substantial public transportation though :)
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Test Evaluation Committee

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:57 am

No matter where you go, you won't face much in the way of serious competition. You'd be 1st and 2nd almost certainly at Yale or Cornell, and neither is particularly known for event quality (in fact, I'd say both have particularly low quality events among university-run invitationals). SOUP is probably better-run, but still not up to the level of the top tournaments. I concur with everyone else - Solon is the best bet for quality and competitiveness both. It's probably the next most competitive after MIT.

Have you considered sending one team to MIT and a second to Mira Loma? That would provide serious competition for your A team, with the added bonus of a little bit of pressure on B team to live up to expectations.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

pikachu4919
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!] // H-Town! --> Philly

Postby pikachu4919 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Unome wrote:No matter where you go, you won't face much in the way of serious competition. You'd be 1st and 2nd almost certainly at Yale or Cornell, and neither is particularly known for event quality (in fact, I'd say both have particularly low quality events among university-run invitationals). SOUP is probably better-run, but still not up to the level of the top tournaments. I concur with everyone else - Solon is the best bet for quality and competitiveness both. It's probably the next most competitive after MIT.

Have you considered sending one team to MIT and a second to Mira Loma? That would provide serious competition for your A team, with the added bonus of a little bit of pressure on B team to live up to expectations.

Yeah, I remember I gave a similar suggestion to Carmel to split squads and send one to Centerville and one to UChicago (which are both on the same day) but I don't think that would be something our coaches would really favor doing.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

MIT and Princeton 2018 Forensics ES
Assassinator #113

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Unome wrote:No matter where you go, you won't face much in the way of serious competition. You'd be 1st and 2nd almost certainly at Yale or Cornell, and neither is particularly known for event quality (in fact, I'd say both have particularly low quality events among university-run invitationals). SOUP is probably better-run, but still not up to the level of the top tournaments. I concur with everyone else - Solon is the best bet for quality and competitiveness both. It's probably the next most competitive after MIT.

I think Unome offers up a very good point and agree with this suggestion
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
SONT 2016: 2nd place in Electric Vehicle || 3rd place in Robot Arm
SONT 2017: 2nd place in Electric Vehicle || 5th place in Invasive Species
Jazzin710@gmail.com
windu34's Userpage

UPenn
State: -

Postby UPenn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:00 am

Hi Troy High School!

We couldn't help but notice your post and are so excited you have registered for SOUP's 2019 Invitational. Regarding all the pros you've mentioned about our competition, we will be announcing the list of teams attending shortly. We always promise and deliver a competitive invitational. You are absolutely right about optimizing location for travel from the West Coast to the East Coast during the wintertime.

Penn's location in Philadelphia is super convenient. There is a Septa line that runs straight from the airport right to our campus. You take it from whichever terminal you are at to the University City Stop which is right next to Franklin Field. We are also committed to making our teams' stays in Philadelphia as comfortable and convenient as possible. Last year, we organized significant group discounts with several hotels in the area-- including the Inn at Penn, Sheraton, The Study, and Homewood, which are all within a two block radius from our campus.

Please email us if you have any questions!

~SOUP

birdylayaduck08
Division: C
State: TX

Postby birdylayaduck08 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:33 am

For what it's worth, Seven Lakes will be attending SOUP for our out-of-state, after going to MIT for the past 4 years. Mason, WWPS and New Trier are planning to come as well (though that can change), along with Harriton and the usual PA teams. I've also heard that WWPN, Monty, Boca Raton may attend, and some other top teams are considering it. Competition-wise, SOUP is looking pretty stacked this year
Seven Lakes High School '19

Return to “Invitationals”