- MIT and Mira Loma are both on 1/12/19.
- Golden Gate and Regionals are both on 2/9/19. (N.B. For the 2016-17 season, Troy sent one team to each of these competitions. However, starting the 2017-18 season, SoCal State Science Olympiad has in place a rule expressly disallowing this practice.)
After some consideration, Troy has chosen to attend Mira Loma on 1/12/19 with two teams. Therefore, the schedule currently appears as follows:
- Troy (12/8/18)
- Mira Loma (1/12/19)
- Regionals (2/9/19)
Troy would like to attend one more invitational (with two teams) in January or February. In researching the various possibilities, the following three factors are being weighed:
- Strength of competition: this has special import since neither MIT nor Golden Gate will be on the schedule
- Location: ease of travel, especially considering the winter season; public transit is a huge plus
- Date: before Regionals is preferred
With that in mind, Troy's top possibilities are (in no particular order):
- Yale (1/26/19): date is ideal, coming two weeks before/after other competitions; cons are question marks about who will be there and it being moderately inaccessible (one hour from BDL by car or two hours from NYC by train)
- SOUP (2/16/19): location is great and easily accessible, there should be some high level competition; the date after Regionals is not ideal
- Cornell (2/16/19): some great competition has already signed up and it is the site of this season's Nationals; getting to/from Ithaca in the middle of winter is (potentially) a nightmare and the date is also after Regionals
Finally, while Troy would love to attend more than one of these competitions, it typically only flies out to the East Coast once during the invitational season.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated before a final decision is made in the next couple weeks.