PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

cheese
Division: C
State: -

PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Postby cheese » October 25th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Just a continuation and an organized way to see how other people have been doing so far. Feel free to post any scores you have gotten in practice or competition here.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage

Chameleon02
State: MI

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Postby Chameleon02 » November 16th, 2018, 2:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2N6Qr-oGAs
This is our first test on Boomilevers. The design was for Division B and scored about 600. As you can see the boomilever failed from compression. Please feel free to point out design flaws, etc. It was a disappointing score yet not terrible for our first boomilever. As we have had much prior experience with balsa events our wood selection was tedious and the boomilever came out under 9 grams.
Captain of Canton Highschool
Class of 2020

RishiVanga

Postby RishiVanga » November 18th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Hey everyone! So I did towers last year and I realize that the average scores for Boomilever will likely be different. I was wondering if anyone knew what a good score is? I managed to place 4th in VA last year and I'm hoping to do as well again. I saw some old scores but the event parameters changed this year from previous ones.

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » November 18th, 2018, 5:23 pm

RishiVanga wrote:Hey everyone! So I did towers last year and I realize that the average scores for Boomilever will likely be different. I was wondering if anyone knew what a good score is? I managed to place 4th in VA last year and I'm hoping to do as well again. I saw some old scores but the event parameters changed this year from previous ones.

If you want to have a chance of medaling at a competitive invitational you're gonna need a score of at least 1000. In a less competitive invitational, I'd say 800+ would be good.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
Background In
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design, Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Fermi

School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

Sciencer101

Postby Sciencer101 » December 7th, 2018, 7:22 am

Chameleon02 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2N6Qr-oGAs
This is our first test on Boomilevers. The design was for Division B and scored about 600. As you can see the boomilever failed from compression. Please feel free to point out design flaws, etc. It was a disappointing score yet not terrible for our first boomilever. As we have had much prior experience with balsa events our wood selection was tedious and the boomilever came out under 9 grams.

My first thought is that your boom is too heavy, and this is probably what brought you down so low.
Instead of trying to get your boom to hold more, try making it lighter.

MadCow2357
Division: B
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » December 7th, 2018, 7:35 am

Sciencer101 wrote:

My first thought is that your boom is too heavy, and this is probably what brought you down so low.

I must disagree with Sciencer. The problem with your boom was the buckling of the compression part. I would try thickening the main compression beams. I believe that the load score increase would greatly outweigh the boomilever's weight increase. To go lighter, I think, would not be a good thing at this stage in the season. Try to get at least a load of 10kg first, and then start shaving off weight.

What sizes are your compression members?
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Roller Coaster, Thermodynamics
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
#BalsaManForever

DarthBuilder

Postby DarthBuilder » December 7th, 2018, 8:28 am

MadCow2357 wrote:
Sciencer101 wrote:

I must disagree with Sciencer. The problem with your boom was the buckling of the compression part. I would try thickening the main compression beams. I believe that the load score increase would greatly outweigh the boomilever's weight increase. To go lighter, I think, would not be a good thing at this stage in the season. Try to get at least a load of 10kg first, and then start shaving off weight.

I second this. Make your boomilever heavier and try to hold most of the sand. Once it holds a good amount strat cutting down the weight of your boomilever.
New Trier 19’

Jibriel Saqibuddin
Palatine/UChicago/Solon/SOUP/Loyola/Regionals/State/Nats?

MTV:1/2/:0/13/3/1/2
Boom:2/1/6/:0/4/1/1
WS: 15/10/:0/:0/4/3/:0

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad

Postby TheChiScientist » December 7th, 2018, 6:33 pm

DarthBuilder wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
Sciencer101 wrote:

I second this. Make your boomilever heavier and try to hold most of the sand. Once it holds a good amount strat cutting down the weight of your boomilever.

I third this. It's much easier to start heavy and then perfect the design to minimalize weight... I recommend going round 20-30g first and then work your way to 8-15g.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
Background In
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design, Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Fermi

School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » December 7th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Lol my first boom was 8g... I'm having trouble finding parts to add more support :lol: :lol: :lol:
MadCow2357's Userpage
#BalsaManForever

Chameleon02
State: MI

Postby Chameleon02 » December 9th, 2018, 9:14 am

DarthBuilder wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
Sciencer101 wrote:

the compression pieces were 3/16 balsa square, i believe that is too thin, we are considering rectangular shaped or thicker squares.
Captain of Canton Highschool
Class of 2020

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » December 9th, 2018, 1:07 pm

Hmm if you ask me 3/16" square is sufficient. Maybe your pieces were on the weaker side. I would also try increasing the amount of bracing in your compression thingy.
MadCow2357's Userpage
#BalsaManForever

dholdgreve

Postby dholdgreve » December 11th, 2018, 9:37 am

OK... So... for what it is worth, it appears that we have either peaked way early this year, or the early expectations have been way understated. From what I'm hearing, we are already seeing Div C booms in the 1500, 1600, and even 1800 ranges in some of the early Invitationals! So far, the best Div B scores I've heard of have been in the 1200 to 1300 range, but I'm sure they are capable of much higher scores as well!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

dholdgreve

Postby dholdgreve » December 11th, 2018, 9:46 am

MadCow2357 wrote:Hmm if you ask me 3/16" square is sufficient. Maybe your pieces were on the weaker side. I would also try increasing the amount of bracing in your compression thingy.

Mad,
The size, weight, and stiffness of the compression beam will depend on how it is braced. The more bracing used from one beam to the other, the narrower, lighter, and flexible the beams can be horizontally. The more bracing used vertically the more you can reduce the height of the beams.

Look at a boomilever like you would a football team... You may have a rockstar QB, but without an offensive line, he will not succeed... Same in reverse... A great line does not make a great backfield. A great offense also needs a great defense to will... If you are not into sports metaphors, go with the weakest link thing... All parts of the boom need to function together. A really great boom goes BOOM all together at the same time!
Dan Holdgreve

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » December 11th, 2018, 12:11 pm

dholdgreve wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:Hmm if you ask me 3/16" square is sufficient. Maybe your pieces were on the weaker side. I would also try increasing the amount of bracing in your compression thingy.

Mad,
The size, weight, and stiffness of the compression beam will depend on how it is braced. The more bracing used from one beam to the other, the narrower, lighter, and flexible the beams can be horizontally. The more bracing used vertically the more you can reduce the height of the beams.

Look at a boomilever like you would a football team... You may have a rockstar QB, but without an offensive line, he will not succeed... Same in reverse... A great line does not make a great backfield. A great offense also needs a great defense to will... If you are not into sports metaphors, go with the weakest link thing... All parts of the boom need to function together. A really great boom goes BOOM all together at the same time!

Good analogy! Always knew a structure was as strong as its weakest point, but never thought of it as a football team :D . I was assuming based on information I gathered from watching his video, and compression parts seemed to need strengthening.
MadCow2357's Userpage
#BalsaManForever

dholdgreve

Postby dholdgreve » December 11th, 2018, 12:43 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
dholdgreve wrote:

Mad,

Good analogy! Always knew a structure was as strong as its weakest point, but never thought of it as a football team :D . I was assuming based on information I gathered from watching his video, and compression parts seemed to need strengthening.

It may not be a matter of strengthening the compression parts, just adding bracing a little closer together in the correct plane.
Dan Holdgreve

Return to “Boomilever B/C”