Making tests tips

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
megrimlockawesom
Division: C
State: NC

Making tests tips

Postby megrimlockawesom » January 8th, 2019, 6:09 am

Hello everyone.

I am writing an Amazing Mechatronics (NC Only Event) test for a division B invitational. I have never made a test before in my life. This event revolves primarily around troubleshooting arduino code and/or circuits. I know the event pretty well, but there are no practice tests online that I can use as a reference.

How would you guys go about writing a test?
How many questions should you write?
Multiple Choice or Open Ended?
Last edited by megrimlockawesom on January 8th, 2019, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute, Thermodynamics

I like Overwatch, Marvel, and food

Bottom Text

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Making tests tips

Postby Unome » January 8th, 2019, 6:10 am

From the info I've seen, I get the feeling that this event is drastically different than a typical test event.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

megrimlockawesom

Postby megrimlockawesom » January 8th, 2019, 6:11 am

Unome wrote:From the info I've seen, I get the feeling that this event is drastically different than a typical test event.

yeah typically you are given a diagram of a circuit and some code and there is supposed to be an error in either the code or the circuit.
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)

Bottom Text

venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby venules » January 14th, 2019, 6:47 am

I can’t give advice specific to AmMech but in general, the way you make the test depends on who you’re making it for. Since you’re likely creating this test for the Piedmont invitational, I would keep in mind that the answers you might put down for a question aren’t necessarily the answers a middle school student or even a high school student might put down, so for free response, you have to prepare for a variety of answers. It may be a good idea to include both open-ended and multiple choice questions.
On the NCSO page for AmMech, they do have a link to a webinar scheduled for tomorrow night (Jan 15) at 8pm, so maybe that will help in terms of deciding how much to include?

sciolycoach
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: WI

Postby sciolycoach » January 14th, 2019, 8:24 am

Hello,

I just finished running Amazing Mechatronics in Wisconsin (also a WI event for Div B and C this year) at the Medford Invite yesterday, and also wrote the test for the Belleville Invite. I would suggest using Tinker Circuits online and using a mix of multiple choice and free-response questions.

For Part A I generally make a circuit online in Tinker Circuits, make some errors in the hardware or coding, and then screenshot the images into the test for the kids to troubleshoot.

Let me know if you want to see a test and/or if I can help in any other way.

Good luck!

Andy
Andy Hamm
Boyceville Science Olympiad
Boyceville, WI

jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby jaspattack » January 14th, 2019, 10:18 am

I would probably have a good mix of open-ended and multiple choice questions, like some other replies suggested. Just be sure to keep in mind that this is a) a trial event and b) an invitational, and therefore the test shouldn't be crazy difficult. If you know other people doing this event, you could have someone else look over the test and give feedback on it.
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle
2017-18 Events (B): Rocks and Minerals, Wright Stuff, Write It Do It
I edit the wiki sometimes.

jimmy-bond
State: HI

Postby jimmy-bond » January 16th, 2019, 8:10 am

Like venules, I have no advice for this event as it sounds very unique. For tests in general, I tend to lean towards open-answer rather than multiple-choice to limit the guessing potential, but I always throw in a multiple-choice question or two. I don't make a certain amount of questions; instead, I go based off the number of points.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Roses are red, violets are blue, I have Alzheimer's, cheese on toast.

2019 Events
Chem Lab, Code Busters, DD, Fermi Questions, Forensics, Water Quality

2018 Nats
CB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)

2017 Nats
CB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

megrimlockawesom

Postby megrimlockawesom » January 19th, 2019, 6:22 am

[deleted]
Ok this is epic 8-)

Bottom Text

Return to “General Chat”