Science Olympiad Disasters/Causes

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
eagerlearner102
Division: C
State: CA

Science Olympiad Disasters/Causes

Postby eagerlearner102 » February 8th, 2019, 8:01 pm

My competition is in early March, and I want some advice on how to prevent common Science Olympiad disasters (unhelpful partner, procrastination, didn't follow guidelines, etc.). I am studying a lot for Science Olympiad, but I feel like I am not sharing the work evenly and not talking to my partners as much as I should be.
2019 events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Fermi Questions
Other scientific pursuits: USNCO, PDB video challenge coming up!

primitive_polonium
Division: Grad

Re: Science Olympiad Disasters/Causes

Postby primitive_polonium » February 8th, 2019, 8:57 pm

eagerlearner102 wrote:My competition is in early March, and I want some advice on how to prevent common Science Olympiad disasters (unhelpful partner, procrastination, didn't follow guidelines, etc.). I am studying a lot for Science Olympiad, but I feel like I am not sharing the work evenly and not talking to my partners as much as I should be.

Are you asking as a team captain/overseer, or for your own personal experiences?

If it's for your personal experience: I've had very lackluster and dead-weight partners, and I've also had very helpful partners. The main difference was communication. I talked rarely to my dead-weight partners, either because they never came to meetings (and so I could only message them sporadically) or because they made it clear they weren't interested in SciOly. On the other hand, I met with my helpful partners at least once or twice a week. We were either doing exams one of us found to practice, sharing cool concepts we found, or revising problem sets. If something came up, we talked immediately; I remember texting my TPS and Chem Lab partner immediately after I found out all 3 of my events were scheduled for the same time block at an invite and then commiserating.

A good start is coming up with a schedule with your partner, or talking to them whenever you find something cool in your studying. Both partners should have input into the cheat sheet, so that's also a good source of discussion. It's always easier to talk if you have something to talk about.

If they're idk, completely not down to talk with you, then you'll have to figure out their deal as diplomatically as you can and adjust accordingly.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.

eagerlearner102

Postby eagerlearner102 » February 10th, 2019, 8:32 am

Thank you for your advice. I meant in terms of personal experiences. Despite having lackluster partners, did you still do well in your events?
2019 events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Fermi Questions
Other scientific pursuits: USNCO, PDB video challenge coming up!

klastyioer
State: PA

Postby klastyioer » February 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm

lmao rly off topic but
i Am ThE sCiEnCe OlYmPiAd DiSaStEr
honestly, it's not about the medals. go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things, have one heck of a time, because that's all that matters.

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Postby megrimlockawesom » February 11th, 2019, 8:40 am

eagerlearner102 wrote:My competition is in early March, and I want some advice on how to prevent common Science Olympiad disasters (unhelpful partner, procrastination, didn't follow guidelines, etc.). I am studying a lot for Science Olympiad, but I feel like I am not sharing the work evenly and not talking to my partners as much as I should be.

Are you me?

if you are in a build event, a checklist helps.
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute, Thermodynamics

I like Overwatch, Marvel, and food

Bottom Text

primitive_polonium

Postby primitive_polonium » February 11th, 2019, 5:54 pm

eagerlearner102 wrote:Thank you for your advice. I meant in terms of personal experiences. Despite having lackluster partners, did you still do well in your events?

Depends. At local invites it was really whatever, since the exams weren't too bad and I could solo it. Like at Troy Invites 2014 I got 1st in chem lab despite my partner doing very little, because there were only 12 teams. You can still get through regionals.

But say at a larger competition--states, big college invites, nationals--it's way harder and I know that without a good partner I would not have medaled. I was lucky in that the worst which happened was that someone studied a lot for tryouts and never again afterwards, so they had some baseline of knowledge. The exams at these competitions are made for 2 competent partners so you can't plan on carrying. If I thought my assigned partner apathetic early on, I was really careful to either 1) get at least some participation out of them, enough to pull me through, 2) convince them to study, or 3) convince the coach that they were unworthy and inconsistent.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.

Kyanite
State: WA

Postby Kyanite » February 11th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Forgot my time and distance logs for electric vehicle at nationals when we had a top 20 run so we were tiered..... So checklists are important.

TheChiScientist
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » February 11th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Kyanite wrote:Forgot my time and distance logs for electric vehicle at nationals when we had a top 20 run so we were tiered..... So checklists are important.

Forgot to bring my Thermo Box diagram to ISO state last year... Good thing I ran a pre-pre-pre checklist and noticed it was missing. I spent a good hour past midnight making the diagram in the hotel :x . Good thing too cuz it was worth 2 whole points! Although seriously they were easy points and if I didn't catch that mistake I probably wouldn't have a 1st place medal hanging on my wall. :D (Check and double check! You never know...)
A Science Olympian from 2015 -To Present
Medal Count:25 8-)
Current Events
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design

Background In
Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Ecology, Fermi

School: Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120 ;)

NeBH
State: ID

Postby NeBH » February 12th, 2019, 6:59 am

(For build events)
DFTB:
Don't Forget The Brake
"We'll know what we're doing by the time we're done!"

Me, to the 2017 Nat. Scrambler ES:
About my launcher:

"It reminds me of the Millenium Falcon; it's a big pain in the rear, but it kind of works!"

LittleMissNyan
Division: B
State: MD
Location: faceplanting in the hallway and screaming I'M A BLUEBERRY

Postby LittleMissNyan » February 12th, 2019, 7:18 am

TheChiScientist wrote:
Kyanite wrote:Forgot my time and distance logs for electric vehicle at nationals when we had a top 20 run so we were tiered..... So checklists are important.

Forgot to bring my Thermo Box diagram to ISO state last year... Good thing I ran a pre-pre-pre checklist and noticed it was missing. I spent a good hour past midnight making the diagram in the hotel :x . Good thing too cuz it was worth 2 whole points! Although seriously they were easy points and if I didn't catch that mistake I probably wouldn't have a 1st place medal hanging on my wall. :D (Check and double check! You never know...)

I forgot to re-wind the Battery Buggy wing nut thing for the second run at one competition and it only went like 1 meter
And then I forgot to take out the batteries and put the timing mast thing for the competition after that and we got tiered.
So yeah
CHECKLISTS
- Battery Buggy 9/3/-/-
- Game On 7/1/-/-
- Mystery Architecture 4/oof/alternate/-
- Aerial Scrambler NA/NA/-/-

National Cathedral School/Oakdale High/Regionals/States hopefuly
Next Competition: Oakdale High

"Herpetology is not the study of Herpes!" - A teammate

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Postby megrimlockawesom » February 12th, 2019, 8:37 am

LittleMissNyan wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:

I forgot to re-wind the Battery Buggy wing nut thing for the second run at one competition and it only went like 1 meter
And then I forgot to take out the batteries and put the timing mast thing for the competition after that and we got tiered.
So yeah
CHECKLISTS

oh yeah same here
Thank god it was our first run and we still had like 5 minutes left

Also in rollercoaster we had a whole flow chart of what to do if something goes wrong. That was because we couldn't solve the problem at centerville 2018 where the ball would just not run and we got tiered and got like 60th out of like 64 teams.
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute, Thermodynamics

I like Overwatch, Marvel, and food

Bottom Text

Return to “General Chat”