How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Zxcvbnm123
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: October 14th, 2018, 8:22 pm

How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Postby Zxcvbnm123 » February 9th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Question in the title

MTV<=>Operator
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: February 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Postby MTV<=>Operator » February 10th, 2019, 10:16 am

How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?


I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but here are a couple of options:
- Placing the steering joint in the back of the vehicle will have a smaller effect on the angle that the vehicle curves at, allowing for more precision
- Using a caliper to steer will allow you to use actual measurements to adjust your angle

In order to improve accuracy, I would recommend testing repeatedly on different floors until you get the curve right
THHS Builder
2017-2018
Regionals/ best score
MTV - 13/ 50
Towers - 20/ 1000
Hovercraft - 23/ ---

2018-2019
Regionals/ Yale/ States/ best score
MTV - 9/ 30 (tiered)/ 22 ( failure)/ 18
Boomi - 3/ 20/ -- /1400
WS - 23/ 17/ 21/ 3:10

4Head
Member
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: November 14th, 2016, 11:29 am
Division: C
State: KY

Re: How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Postby 4Head » February 10th, 2019, 12:11 pm

MTV<=>Operator wrote:
How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?


I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but here are a couple of options:
- Placing the steering joint in the back of the vehicle will have a smaller effect on the angle that the vehicle curves at, allowing for more precision
- Using a caliper to steer will allow you to use actual measurements to adjust your angle

In order to improve accuracy, I would recommend testing repeatedly on different floors until you get the curve right

could you elaborate on your first point?

MTV<=>Operator
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: February 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Postby MTV<=>Operator » February 10th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Basically, if you were to place the steering in the front of the MTV, every angle that you change the front axle by would have a greater effect on the path of the vehicle than if you were to change the back axle instead by the same angle and keep the front perpendicular to the chassis.

In other words, the vehicle will turn more if you angle the front, say 10 degrees than if you angle the back 10 degrees. Steering from the front wheels has a more dramatic effect on the curve of the vehicle
THHS Builder
2017-2018
Regionals/ best score
MTV - 13/ 50
Towers - 20/ 1000
Hovercraft - 23/ ---

2018-2019
Regionals/ Yale/ States/ best score
MTV - 9/ 30 (tiered)/ 22 ( failure)/ 18
Boomi - 3/ 20/ -- /1400
WS - 23/ 17/ 21/ 3:10

4Head
Member
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: November 14th, 2016, 11:29 am
Division: C
State: KY

Re: How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Postby 4Head » February 10th, 2019, 5:28 pm

MTV<=>Operator wrote:Basically, if you were to place the steering in the front of the MTV, every angle that you change the front axle by would have a greater effect on the path of the vehicle than if you were to change the back axle instead by the same angle and keep the front perpendicular to the chassis.

In other words, the vehicle will turn more if you angle the front, say 10 degrees than if you angle the back 10 degrees. Steering from the front wheels has a more dramatic effect on the curve of the vehicle

why?

Lorant
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: February 18th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Postby Lorant » February 18th, 2019, 7:01 pm

4Head wrote:
MTV<=>Operator wrote:Basically, if you were to place the steering in the front of the MTV, every angle that you change the front axle by would have a greater effect on the path of the vehicle than if you were to change the back axle instead by the same angle and keep the front perpendicular to the chassis.

In other words, the vehicle will turn more if you angle the front, say 10 degrees than if you angle the back 10 degrees. Steering from the front wheels has a more dramatic effect on the curve of the vehicle

why?

I beg to differ, if you were to draw a line perpendicular to the center of either axle, at any instant during the run this line will be running tangent to the arc drawn by the car. This perpendicular line would form the same degree measure on the back axle as for the front, if you were turning on the same arc. Thus the angle offset, and the corresponding curve would be the same regardless of the axle being angled. I highly recommend drawing a model of the track in AutoCad and using it to measure the arcs and angle offsets necessary for your car, and while the numbers will NOT be 100% in practice, they will be useful as a guideline.

4Head
Member
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: November 14th, 2016, 11:29 am
Division: C
State: KY

Re: How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Postby 4Head » February 18th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Lorant wrote:
4Head wrote:
MTV<=>Operator wrote:Basically, if you were to place the steering in the front of the MTV, every angle that you change the front axle by would have a greater effect on the path of the vehicle than if you were to change the back axle instead by the same angle and keep the front perpendicular to the chassis.

In other words, the vehicle will turn more if you angle the front, say 10 degrees than if you angle the back 10 degrees. Steering from the front wheels has a more dramatic effect on the curve of the vehicle

why?

I beg to differ, if you were to draw a line perpendicular to the center of either axle, at any instant during the run this line will be running tangent to the arc drawn by the car. This perpendicular line would form the same degree measure on the back axle as for the front, if you were turning on the same arc. Thus the angle offset, and the corresponding curve would be the same regardless of the axle being angled. I highly recommend drawing a model of the track in AutoCad and using it to measure the arcs and angle offsets necessary for your car, and while the numbers will NOT be 100% in practice, they will be useful as a guideline.

This is exactly how I saw it as well

MTV<=>Operator
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: February 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: How do you precisely control the curve of the vehicle? How do you improve accuracy?

Postby MTV<=>Operator » February 19th, 2019, 9:14 am

I beg to differ, if you were to draw a line perpendicular to the center of either axle, at any instant during the run this line will be running tangent to the arc drawn by the car. This perpendicular line would form the same degree measure on the back axle as for the front, if you were turning on the same arc. Thus the angle offset, and the corresponding curve would be the same regardless of the axle being angled. I highly recommend drawing a model of the track in AutoCad and using it to measure the arcs and angle offsets necessary for your car, and while the numbers will NOT be 100% in practice, they will be useful as a guideline.


Sorry for being a bit unclear, but when I wrote this I was referring to a swivel steering system. The person that told me this came to the conclusion by testing different vehicle prototypes, some with front steering and some with rear steering (all with a swivel steering system). I completely understand your reasoning
THHS Builder
2017-2018
Regionals/ best score
MTV - 13/ 50
Towers - 20/ 1000
Hovercraft - 23/ ---

2018-2019
Regionals/ Yale/ States/ best score
MTV - 9/ 30 (tiered)/ 22 ( failure)/ 18
Boomi - 3/ 20/ -- /1400
WS - 23/ 17/ 21/ 3:10


Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests