Making suggestions for future team organization without sounding like I'm just complaining

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Tychonoff

Making suggestions for future team organization without sounding like I'm just complaining

Postby Tychonoff » February 11th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Our school sends 2 teams to regionals and invitationals. Of course, we can only send 1 team to states and nationals, so people work hard to be on the A team. However, I've noticed that the amount of time you spend preparing for Science Olympiad doesn't matter. The A team roster, from its initial publication at the conclusion of tryouts in December, has remained the same for all invitationals and regionals. I did well in tryouts, scoring 1st or 2nd schoolwide in all 4 events that I tried out for, but got placed on the B team.

I did not complain because I believed that I would have a future opportunity for advancement. My hard work payed off during the invitational, and I earned a gold medal and 6th place at 2 separate events. Regional teams were released later, but I was still on the B team. I'm hoping to excel in regionals and thereby earn a spot on the A team, but a recent email stated something along the lines of "unfortunately, we can only send one team to states. To those on the B team, better luck next year." Since I'm a senior, this message is meaningless to me. Furthermore, this seems to imply that teams will not get changed based on regionals results.

Recall that the roster never changed from December to February, and will probably never change for the rest of the school year. There is nothing I can do at this point, but I'd like to tell the team leaders that they should make the system more meritocratic next year for the benefit of future students. How do I do so without sounding like I'm just complaining?

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Making suggestions for future team organization without sounding like I'm just complaining

Postby Unome » February 11th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Tychonoff wrote:Our school sends 2 teams to regionals and invitationals. Of course, we can only send 1 team to states and nationals, so people work hard to be on the A team. However, I've noticed that the amount of time you spend preparing for Science Olympiad doesn't matter. The A team roster, from its initial publication at the conclusion of tryouts in December, has remained the same for all invitationals and regionals. I did well in tryouts, scoring 1st or 2nd schoolwide in all 4 events that I tried out for, but got placed on the B team.

I did not complain because I believed that I would have a future opportunity for advancement. My hard work payed off during the invitational, and I earned a gold medal and 6th place at 2 separate events. Regional teams were released later, but I was still on the B team. I'm hoping to excel in regionals and thereby earn a spot on the A team, but a recent email stated something along the lines of "unfortunately, we can only send one team to states. To those on the B team, better luck next year." Since I'm a senior, this message is meaningless to me. Furthermore, this seems to imply that teams will not get changed based on regionals results.

Recall that the roster never changed from December to February, and will probably never change for the rest of the school year. There is nothing I can do at this point, but I'd like to tell the team leaders that they should make the system more meritocratic next year for the benefit of future students. How do I do so without sounding like I'm just complaining?

It's certainly quite unusual that the team composition doesn't change at all. That said, based on your statements your team appears to be rather competitive, so a 1st and a 6th may not be as good as you think (is it? I don't know your team so that's just a guess, but that sort of thing crops up fairly often).

The first thing to do is to find out whether the team composition could change between regionals and states, or whether the implication was accurate.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “General Chat”