Is there any official rule about alternates?

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
geniusjohn5
Division: C
State: -

Is there any official rule about alternates?

Postby geniusjohn5 » February 11th, 2019, 8:57 pm

At our school, we had 3 seniors who were on the B team who did very well and won some medals at regionals. They are all equally qualified (like literally exactly). However, our school traditionally only takes 2 alternates. I'm not sure if this is some sort of rule implemented by the official SciOly or some school thing, but it's considered ok to bring 3 alternates?
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Re: Is there any official rule about alternates?

Postby bernard » February 11th, 2019, 10:03 pm

https://www.soinc.org/what-official-rul ... am-members
soinc.org wrote:There is no "official" rule on "alternate" members. Alternates may participate only if one of the 15 regular team members can't make it the day of the competition or if a team member becomes ill or injured. Alternates may not fill in if there is a schedule conflict or if the schedule changes on the day of the competition.

Some tournaments restrict the number (if any) per team and sometimes allow them to participate in trials events and drop off impound items. Many tournaments issue and require "regular" team members to wear "hospital style" wrist bands so alternates do not "accidentally" cover for a late member.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Return to “General Chat”