Braking System

xiangyu
Division: C
State: MI

Braking System

Postby xiangyu » April 6th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Out of curiosity, how many teams are using a braking system for their MTV? Is it really crucial? My MTV doesn't have a braking system and I've just been controlling how far it comes back with how many winds I do, is this a good idea? I'm new to the event this year and need some guidance. Thanks!
2020 Events

Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Machines, Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute

Medal Count: 2
East Grand Rapids High School, Michigan

mnoga
State: CA

Re: Braking System

Postby mnoga » April 6th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Out of curiosity, how many teams are using a braking system for their MTV? Is it really crucial? My MTV doesn't have a braking system and I've just been controlling how far it comes back with how many winds I do, is this a good idea? I'm new to the event this year and need some guidance. Thanks!
Yes, very crucial if you want to win a regional or state competition.

Things2do
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not Utah somewhere near the Colorado border

Postby Things2do » April 7th, 2019, 8:43 am

I won Regions and got 5th at State by affixing my drive string to the axle and varying the winds on and off of the built up middle part. I woulda gotten higher at State, but I overcorrected the curve for my second run and wound up slightly farther away on both with my second run. On the other side of the dots...
John 5:46-47
When your signature exceeds the allotted 300 characters, you put it here...
Is this where I put the Builder Cult?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

xiangyu

Postby xiangyu » April 7th, 2019, 10:28 am

I won Regions and got 5th at State by affixing my drive string to the axle and varying the winds on and off of the built up middle part. I woulda gotten higher at State, but I overcorrected the curve for my second run and wound up slightly farther away on both with my second run. On the other side of the dots...
Ok, so you don't have a braking system? I've been kind of doing what you are doing by varying up the winds and so far it seems to work. However, there were a lot of teams out there with braking systems and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything.
2020 Events

Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Machines, Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute

Rossyspsce
State: -

Postby Rossyspsce » April 7th, 2019, 11:17 am

Ok, so you don't have a braking system? I've been kind of doing what you are doing by varying up the winds and so far it seems to work. However, there were a lot of teams out there with braking systems and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything.
generally it is better to use a braking system rather than use up string length, since you vary where you wrap the string around. By having an actual break, you can put more of the string toward the actual movement of the car, maybe even increase axle diameter to increase speed, as well as allowing you to wrap the same way every time, decreasing variability in order to increase consistency. Also by using a break, it can stop more reliably on the target point, with a higher speed as well.

xiangyu

Postby xiangyu » April 7th, 2019, 2:36 pm

generally it is better to use a braking system rather than use up string length, since you vary where you wrap the string around. By having an actual break, you can put more of the string toward the actual movement of the car, maybe even increase axle diameter to increase speed, as well as allowing you to wrap the same way every time, decreasing variability in order to increase consistency. Also by using a break, it can stop more reliably on the target point, with a higher speed as well.
Hmm interesting. Can you explain again how the braking system make the car faster? I'm a little confused sorry.
2020 Events

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » April 7th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Hmm interesting. Can you explain again how the braking system make the car faster? I'm a little confused sorry.
I believe that it is because you can wind it so you have the maximum amount of power each run. There is no need to wind the string a certain number of times if you are using a separate braking system other than the string.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff
Considering: Machines, Sounds of Music, Ping-Pong Parachute, Fossils
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
Gallagher Middle School '19
Barrington High School '23
#BalsaManForever

xiangyu

Postby xiangyu » April 7th, 2019, 2:46 pm

I believe that it is because you can wind it so you have the maximum amount of power each run. There is no need to wind the string a certain number of times if you are using a separate braking system other than the string.
Oh, so like with a braking system I can just wrap the strings layer over layer and maximizing the power? that makes sense thanks!
2020 Events

xiangyu

Postby xiangyu » April 7th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Also, if I decide to install a braking system, it will probably be what everyone has been using which is the wingnut system. I'm curious if teams are making the stopper movable(which then they can adjust to each different length).
2020 Events

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » April 7th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Also, if I decide to install a braking system, it will probably be what everyone has been using which is the wingnut system. I'm curious if teams are making the stopper movable(which then they can adjust to each different length).
Why can't you just move the wingnut to the distance you want?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff
Considering: Machines, Sounds of Music, Ping-Pong Parachute, Fossils
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
Gallagher Middle School '19
Barrington High School '23
#BalsaManForever

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”