Ping Pong Parachute B/C

sciolyperson1
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Postby sciolyperson1 » November 7th, 2019, 7:04 pm

How many cords did you guys put on your parachute? What is a good number?
I'm still deciding on the best number of cords. Honestly, they can range anywhere from 8 to 16. Tangling will be an issue no matter how many cords you put on, so more cords are probably better overall. I'm not sure if this is scientifically correct, but I believe more cords would allow the parachute to open up more than less cords would allow.
You're correct. Just wanted to add that the more cords you add the heavier it is, so avoid going too overboard with them. 8-16 seems like a nice range.
WW-P HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP - Detector?
Vehicle event medalling streak - 13
Rate my tests!

eagerlearner102
State: CA

Postby eagerlearner102 » November 8th, 2019, 6:10 pm

How are you guys using tape to attach your ping pong balls? I was thinking of putting some hook and string, but that was more of a random idea.
2020 events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Designer Genes
2019 events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Fermi Questions
Competition: 2019 Northern California Bay Area Regional
Fermi Questions: 2nd
Sounds of Music: 4th
Protein Modeling: 9th :?

CookiePie1

Postby CookiePie1 » November 9th, 2019, 8:39 am

I think I would use a thin strip of electrical tape and attach the threads of the parachute directly to the ball to save weight.
South Brunswick High School '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Check out my userpage!

gruvint8
State: ID

Postby gruvint8 » November 9th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Hey, I have a question about the parachute materials. So someone suggested that we try to use regular cloth for the actual parachutes, and I'm not too sure about the idea, nor is my partner on the event. My initial thoughts are that I am wondering if A) the cloth will not resist air as much as plastic due to the small holes around the individual threads spread around the parachute and B) perhaps those holes won't effect the drop time at all unless there is a certain amount of weight pulling on it. Of course, I'm no physicist so these are just initial thoughts that I pondered, does anyone have any information regarding the idea? If not, we can test the material for parachutes and report our discoveries afterwards to those who may be interested in the subject.

sciolyperson1

Postby sciolyperson1 » November 9th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Hey, I have a question about the parachute materials. So someone suggested that we try to use regular cloth for the actual parachutes, and I'm not too sure about the idea, nor is my partner on the event. My initial thoughts are that I am wondering if A) the cloth will not resist air as much as plastic due to the small holes around the individual threads spread around the parachute and B) perhaps those holes won't effect the drop time at all unless there is a certain amount of weight pulling on it. Of course, I'm no physicist so these are just initial thoughts that I pondered, does anyone have any information regarding the idea? If not, we can test the material for parachutes and report our discoveries afterwards to those who may be interested in the subject.
A) You are correct, cloth does not contain air very well. Because there are holes, times would be affected significantly.

Just want to add, since cloth is extremely heavy (compared to other materials), the parachute would likely collapse in on itself really quickly after deployment
WW-P HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP - Detector?
Vehicle event medalling streak - 13
Rate my tests!

xiangyu
State: MI

Postby xiangyu » November 10th, 2019, 6:38 pm

First of all, thanks to everyone who has given me some ideas with parachutes, Our parachutes are working much better (around 10 seconds and continuing to improve in ~25 feet height.

Now, my team is encountering another problem. We are having touble with parachute detachment from the rocket. We've tried different designs like tube on top of rocket to hold ping pong or just launching parachute on bottle or inside nose cone, but still we just can't consistantly ensure parachute detachment. What are y'all using? Any tips/design ideas? I know you may want to keep some things secret, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Xiangyu
2020 Events

Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Machines, Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute

Medal Count: 2
East Grand Rapids High School, Michigan

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”