Codebusters C

sciencenerd101

Re: Codebusters C

Postby sciencenerd101 » October 12th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Hello, I have been having trouble learning affine cipher and was wondering if there was any resources that you guys would recommend to learn this code?

Name
Division: C
State: NY

Postby Name » October 12th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Hello, I have been having trouble learning affine cipher and was wondering if there was any resources that you guys would recommend to learn this code?
https://crypto.interactive-maths.com/affine-cipher.html has a good explanation of how to encode or decode
https://www.cs.uri.edu/cryptography/classicalaffine.htm also explains it, and also how to solve affines with a crib
South Woods MS/Syosset HS
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Events!: Astro, Code, hopefully Fossils

"The more cheese, the more holes. The more holes the less cheese. Therefore the more cheese, the less cheese."

TheWood
Division: C
State: GA

Postby TheWood » October 14th, 2019, 2:47 pm

What would be your recommended order of which ciphers to work on first?
I’d go hard to easy. You can fly through aristocrats later in the test when you’re in a time crunch (and you won’t need to check your work) but you want to make sure you’ve got the math completely right early on in something like a 3x3 hill or rsa.
I disagree with this, at least for the way that I've been approaching codebusters. For code, you're almost definitely going to have leftover questions. Attempting the harder problems first leads to the risk of you spending a lot of time on that question and then still not solving it. Though with practice, RSA and 3x3 hill cipher questions can become relatively easy.
Brookwood High School (Head Officer)

Return to “Study Events”