Ornithology B/C

User avatar
whalesc
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: April 8th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by whalesc » February 10th, 2020, 7:29 pm

What are people's methods for studying songs/song identification? My partner and I have been trying to practice for a while but still have a very low accuracy rate when it comes to identifying by sounds.

User avatar
pepperonipi
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 112
Joined: January 21st, 2019, 11:38 am
Division: C
State: FL
Location: adding wiki templates lol

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by pepperonipi » February 10th, 2020, 8:08 pm

whalesc wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 7:29 pm
What are people's methods for studying songs/song identification? My partner and I have been trying to practice for a while but still have a very low accuracy rate when it comes to identifying by sounds.
One thing I'd recommend doing is trying to write out and remember what the songs sound like in words (or just find these online). I kinda smile when I hear a bird sound and go, "oh! it's witchety-witchety-witchety!"
“I'd rather look back at my past and say, 'I can't believe I did that!' instead of saying 'I wish I did that.'"

Boca Raton Community High School
My Wiki Page | School Wiki Page | WikiProject Tournaments of States | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermodynamics
2019 Trials: What the Function (MIT), Detector (Nationals)
2020: Detector, Ornithology, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2020 Trials: Data Science (Princeton)

Chicken
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: February 5th, 2020, 8:22 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Location: Idk

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Chicken » February 14th, 2020, 5:57 pm

During one of my invitationals, the ornithology test had a question about ways to hold/handle a bird, like how to grasp it and stuff. Will this be a question at official regional or state competitions?
Ornithology, Water Quality, Former Crime Buster and Battery Bugger.

3rd place ornithology regionals, 6th place water quality regionals

rish-leti
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: March 15th, 2019, 2:15 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by rish-leti » February 14th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Chicken wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 5:57 pm
During one of my invitationals, the ornithology test had a question about ways to hold/handle a bird, like how to grasp it and stuff. Will this be a question at official regional or state competitions?
Its a possibility. I haven't seen much of it this year, but since human interaction is a pretty important part of ornithology, its definitely not a bad idea to brush up on general stuff like that.
2020: Disease, Orni, Protein
2019: Anatomy, Density, Disease, Herp

User avatar
JoeyC
Member
Member
Posts: 266
Joined: November 7th, 2017, 1:43 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by JoeyC » February 14th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Hold bird gentle like borgar
Ohayo!
Dynamic Planet, Protein Modeling, Fast Facts, Thermodynamics
Dynamic Planet, Machines, Ornith
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Scientia Potentia Est

User avatar
SilverBreeze
Member
Member
Posts: 88
Joined: November 28th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Crying somewhere.

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by SilverBreeze » February 14th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Chicken wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 5:57 pm
During one of my invitationals, the ornithology test had a question about ways to hold/handle a bird, like how to grasp it and stuff. Will this be a question at official regional or state competitions?
Does that happen to be Jeffrey Trail Invitational?
Troy SciOly 2019-2020
Suzanne SciOly 2016-2019
OC Regionals events: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology
Notice the lack of Dynamic Planet above.

User avatar
Clammy
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: January 13th, 2020, 11:38 am
Division: B
State: CA
Location: soCal

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Clammy » February 14th, 2020, 10:57 pm

rish-leti wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 6:29 pm
Chicken wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 5:57 pm
During one of my invitationals, the ornithology test had a question about ways to hold/handle a bird, like how to grasp it and stuff. Will this be a question at official regional or state competitions?
Its a possibility. I haven't seen much of it this year, but since human interaction is a pretty important part of ornithology, its definitely not a bad idea to brush up on general stuff like that.
was it the Jeffrey Trail test by Samuel Bressler?
2019-2020 socal D M S
Ornithology, Mission Possible, A&P, EL Gliders
i like birds

User avatar
DragonTownEpic
Member
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: October 4th, 2018, 5:45 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by DragonTownEpic » Yesterday, 2:02 pm

Clammy wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 10:57 pm
rish-leti wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 6:29 pm
Chicken wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 5:57 pm
During one of my invitationals, the ornithology test had a question about ways to hold/handle a bird, like how to grasp it and stuff. Will this be a question at official regional or state competitions?
Its a possibility. I haven't seen much of it this year, but since human interaction is a pretty important part of ornithology, its definitely not a bad idea to brush up on general stuff like that.
was it the Jeffrey Trail test by Samuel Bressler?
I took that one too! Wow!
I will dab on stage twice if I get an award at a SciOly Competition. If you and I go to a competition, and I get an award, you will probably know who I am.

And, if you see me:
Stand up.
And then dab.
See you there!

User avatar
SilverBreeze
Member
Member
Posts: 88
Joined: November 28th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Crying somewhere.

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by SilverBreeze » Yesterday, 2:46 pm

DragonTownEpic wrote:
Yesterday, 2:02 pm
Clammy wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 10:57 pm
rish-leti wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Its a possibility. I haven't seen much of it this year, but since human interaction is a pretty important part of ornithology, its definitely not a bad idea to brush up on general stuff like that.
was it the Jeffrey Trail test by Samuel Bressler?
I took that one too! Wow!
Did anyone here take Orange County (CA) Regionals Division C?
Troy SciOly 2019-2020
Suzanne SciOly 2016-2019
OC Regionals events: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology
Notice the lack of Dynamic Planet above.

khtungpalan
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: December 23rd, 2019, 7:56 pm
Division: C
State: HI

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by khtungpalan » Yesterday, 11:01 pm

Can we annotate our notes?

Post Reply

Return to “Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest