Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Mr.Epithelium
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: KY

Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Mr.Epithelium » September 4th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Let's get this started!

1. A nail punctures a man's foot up until the dermis. Name the layers of the skin first contacted by the nail to the last.

2. Which type of synovial joint provides the least range of movement?

3. Ca2+ binds to _____ to allow for a contraction to begin.
A. Myosin
B. Tropomyosin
C. Troponin
D. G-actin
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.

amk578
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by amk578 » September 4th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Mr.Epithelium wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 6:42 pm
Let's get this started!

1. A nail punctures a man's foot up until the dermis. Name the layers of the skin first contacted by the nail to the last.

2. Which type of synovial joint provides the least range of movement?

3. Ca2+ binds to _____ to allow for a contraction to begin.
A. Myosin
B. Tropomyosin
C. Troponin
D. G-actin
1. Stratum corneum > s. lucidum > s. granulosum > s. spinosum > s. basale > dermis
2. Synarthrosis?
3. C
2018 - Anatomy, Crime Busters, & Road Scholar
2019 - Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Heredity, & Road Scholar
2020 - Anatomy, Designer Genes, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Ping Pong Parachute, & Protein Modeling

Mr.Epithelium
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: KY

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Mr.Epithelium » September 5th, 2019, 1:05 pm

amk578 wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 7:21 pm
Mr.Epithelium wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 6:42 pm
Let's get this started!

1. A nail punctures a man's foot up until the dermis. Name the layers of the skin first contacted by the nail to the last.

2. Which type of synovial joint provides the least range of movement?

3. Ca2+ binds to _____ to allow for a contraction to begin.
A. Myosin
B. Tropomyosin
C. Troponin
D. G-actin
1. Stratum corneum > s. lucidum > s. granulosum > s. spinosum > s. basale > dermis
2. Synarthrosis?
3. C
1. Correct!
2. Ahh, synarthroses are the least movable general type of joint. Plane (gliding) joints are synovial joint with the least range of movement.
3. Yep!
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.

amk578
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by amk578 » September 5th, 2019, 2:51 pm

1. What is the term for the actively growing region of finger/toenails?

2. The scapula can be classified as what kind of bone?
a. Long bone
b. Short bone
c. Flat bone
d. Irregular bone

3. Which type of cells in the perichondrium repeat cycles of division to make new cartilage tissue?
2018 - Anatomy, Crime Busters, & Road Scholar
2019 - Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Heredity, & Road Scholar
2020 - Anatomy, Designer Genes, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Ping Pong Parachute, & Protein Modeling

Here
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: February 20th, 2019, 6:38 am
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Here » September 5th, 2019, 3:23 pm

amk578 wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 2:51 pm
1. What is the term for the actively growing region of finger/toenails?

2. The scapula can be classified as what kind of bone?
a. Long bone
b. Short bone
c. Flat bone
d. Irregular bone

3. Which type of cells in the perichondrium repeat cycles of division to make new cartilage tissue?

1. Nail sinus/nail root?
2. C, flat bone
3. Chondrocytes?
Kellenberg Memorial HS
2020 events: Anatomy, Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Ornithology

amk578
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by amk578 » September 5th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Here wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 3:23 pm
amk578 wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 2:51 pm
1. What is the term for the actively growing region of finger/toenails?

2. The scapula can be classified as what kind of bone?
a. Long bone
b. Short bone
c. Flat bone
d. Irregular bone

3. Which type of cells in the perichondrium repeat cycles of division to make new cartilage tissue?

1. Nail sinus/nail root?
2. C, flat bone
3. Chondrocytes?
1. Close, I was looking for the nail matrix. The root is like the fold in the epidermis near the bone of the finger, where the nail body grows out from. However, the matrix is where the cells are produced to become the nail plate.
2. Correct!
3. Not quite, the answer is chondroblasts, chondrocytes are basically the mature cartilage cells.

Your turn!
2018 - Anatomy, Crime Busters, & Road Scholar
2019 - Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Heredity, & Road Scholar
2020 - Anatomy, Designer Genes, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Ping Pong Parachute, & Protein Modeling

Here
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: February 20th, 2019, 6:38 am
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Here » September 6th, 2019, 8:52 am

1. Which type of fracture is most common in children?

2. Which layer of the epidermis includes Langerhans cells?
A. Stratum lucidum
B. Stratum basale
C. Stratum corneum
D. Stratum spinosum

3. What is the name for the tissue that groups muscle fibers into bundles?
Kellenberg Memorial HS
2020 events: Anatomy, Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Ornithology

Mr.Epithelium
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: KY

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Mr.Epithelium » September 6th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Here wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 8:52 am
1. Which type of fracture is most common in children?

2. Which layer of the epidermis includes Langerhans cells?
A. Stratum lucidum
B. Stratum basale
C. Stratum corneum
D. Stratum spinosum

3. What is the name for the tissue that groups muscle fibers into bundles?
1. Greenstick
2. D
3. Endomysium?
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.

Here
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: February 20th, 2019, 6:38 am
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Here » September 6th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Mr.Epithelium wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 12:20 pm
Here wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 8:52 am
1. Which type of fracture is most common in children?

2. Which layer of the epidermis includes Langerhans cells?
A. Stratum lucidum
B. Stratum basale
C. Stratum corneum
D. Stratum spinosum

3. What is the name for the tissue that groups muscle fibers into bundles?
1. Greenstick
2. D
3. Endomysium?

all good, except 3 is Perimysium (the endomysium surrounds an individual muscle fiber, while the perimysium groups a bunch of them together)


Your turn!
Kellenberg Memorial HS
2020 events: Anatomy, Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Ornithology

Mr.Epithelium
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm
Division: C
State: KY

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Mr.Epithelium » September 6th, 2019, 7:11 pm

1. Which neurotransmitter is found inside of motor neurons?

2. Which of the following does not include any sections with myosin?
A. A band
B. H band
C. I band
D. M line

3. Which stage of the hair growth stage is the longest and the growing phase?
A. Catagen
B. Anagen
C. Telogen
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.

Post Reply

Return to “Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests