Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

RandomSmartGuy

Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Postby RandomSmartGuy » January 15th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Hi all,
Just wanted to ask you guys if you know any design software like SkyCiv except it's free? My partner and I have made several boomilevers, but in preparation for the regionals we want to go extra safe and use a 3D structural tool to enhance our final product. Please reply ASAP as regionals are less than a month away for us. Thanks for all the help/responses in advance!

MadCow2357
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Boomilever B/C Design Software [Free] Request

Postby MadCow2357 » January 16th, 2020, 6:26 am

Hi all,
Just wanted to ask you guys if you know any design software like SkyCiv except it's free? My partner and I have made several boomilevers, but in preparation for the regionals we want to go extra safe and use a 3D structural tool to enhance our final product. Please reply ASAP as regionals are less than a month away for us. Thanks for all the help/responses in advance!
You can do it on SolidWorks, possibly OnShape or other CAD programs as well
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Member of the Builder Cult and DMAH
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
#yanggang2020
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

knightmoves

Postby knightmoves » January 16th, 2020, 2:44 pm

SolidWorks isn't free. OnShape is free for educational use. FreeCAD apparently has a FEM solver that will do these kinds of calculation - I just found a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLYVHHuOZE but can't tell you whether it's any good or not.

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » January 16th, 2020, 2:54 pm

SolidWorks isn't free. OnShape is free for educational use. FreeCAD apparently has a FEM solver that will do these kinds of calculation - I just found a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLYVHHuOZE but can't tell you whether it's any good or not.
Some schools do have solidworks licenses that they provide to their students for free. I use onshape bc I only have a school Chromebook and no pc, but from my understanding it's very similar in capability and function to solidworks
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
#yanggang2020
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

RandomSmartGuy

Postby RandomSmartGuy » January 16th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Hi all,
I will check out the software(s) that both of you have suggested. Eitherways, I found a free 3D-Space Truss Analyzer if you guys want to check it out. Here's the link: https://sites.google.com/site/samsoninfinite/

xiangyu
State: MI

Postby xiangyu » January 16th, 2020, 7:17 pm

How well do these programs work? In my experience, they seem to be inaccurate and often undercalculate how much my structure can hold.
2020 Events: Wright Stuff, Gravity Vehicle. Circuit Lab, Boomilever, Ping-Pong Parachute, WIDI, Machines

Inv.1/Inv.2/Reg
WS: 4/
WIDI: 13/
Boom: 1/
Circuit: 15/
GV: - /
PPP: - /

Medal Count: 4
East Grand Rapids High School, Michigan

donutsandcupcakes
Division: B

Postby donutsandcupcakes » January 17th, 2020, 3:20 pm

How well do these programs work? In my experience, they seem to be inaccurate and often undercalculate how much my structure can hold.
Same here, last year, I was using Skyciv for building my boomis online, and then when I built them and tested them in real life, they didn't hold the expected weight. It might be that I messed up while building, or it could be that the program is inaccurate, but I'm not sure. Did the programs give anyone accurate results?

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » January 17th, 2020, 8:14 pm

The thing with SolidWorks and similar programs is that they assign materials only one value for measurements like strength and density. Balsa sticks vary a ton in both aspects and more, so the programs can't accurately capture the true limits and capabilities of a boomilever.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
#yanggang2020

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Postby bernard » January 18th, 2020, 11:17 am

Simulations may be helpful for evaluating the design of your structures and identifying areas for improvement, but simulation assumptions and variation in materials used may affect accuracy of your estimated load.
The thing with SolidWorks and similar programs is that they assign materials only one value for measurements like strength and density. Balsa sticks vary a ton in both aspects and more, so the programs can't accurately capture the true limits and capabilities of a boomilever.
One could create a new material profile for each member but as you've pointed out, any model still doesn't account for microscopic variations in material that may allow early failure.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Return to “Boomilever B/C”