Wind Power C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Wind Power C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
quizbowl
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power C

Post by quizbowl »

apparently one has to build it on site, is that true?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

Is this event just a re-naming of last year's Physics lab? Or is there going to be a substantial change?
ichaelm
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

I really hope it'll be more like last year. I still have a lot of extra supplies and I don't want them to go to waste! :P

The thing about last year's physics lab, though, was that it didn't actually measure power generated; it was just voltage. So instead of having to actually generate power like a real turbine would, these just had to spin as fast as possible. And while that was pretty interesting, if they just put a low-value resistor across the voltmeter, the turbine would actually have to generate power, and the event would favor more realistic designs. Of course, its not like they should change anything now. I hope it's not build-on-sight, though...
tmanneo
Division: C
State: MA

Post by tmanneo »

Yea, I agree. I would like to be able to build a nice design before competition. I hated our test portion though, the majority of it was about efficiencies that my partner and I had no clue how to calculate.
North Quincy High 2011: 8th overall

Anatomy: 9th
Remote Sensing: 4th
ichaelm

Post by ichaelm »

The soinc website is being slowly updated for 2011. According to this and this, wind power is going to be a lot like physics lab.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

ichaelm wrote:The soinc website is being slowly updated for 2011. According to this and this, wind power is going to be a lot like physics lab.
So Wind Power is basically just a renaming of Physics Lab/Physical Sci Lab. That's a shame, I wanted to see something new/different. Also, I hope they don't have on-site builds- is it really possible to make a good blade assembly in less than 50 minutes?
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

I would actually like to see an on-site build. You definitely can make a pretty good design; however they wouldn't be as good as what we saw last year. But what I didn't like about last year was that some teams had access to some very expensive tools and were able to machine precision blades (or just 1 blade). An on-site build would limit everyone to the same materials and tools which would make things much more fair.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
ichaelm

Post by ichaelm »

Well, the rules are never exactly the same. At minimum, they'll just change the dimensions or something. Or, they could completely change the scoring system, put restrictions on materials, or who knows?

Also, I think the idea of an on-sight build is great for the large number of schools that don't even hand out rules to the students and just have them pick events that sound interesting. It gives them something to do, instead of just walking in with something they've never tested that doesn't spin. I saw a lot of assemblies at my regional that were so heavy they couldn't stay on the mount! As for the rest of us, I guess it does level the playing field slightly. But my materials and tools were very simple: some balsa from the hobby shop, toothpicks, an exacto knife, rubber bands, a ruler, tap water, a dremel drill, a toaster, a dead 6v lamp battery, those glass spice containers, and newspaper. And that got me first place at my regional and PA state, and then 8th at nationals (in B division, yes I know it's easier, but still). I have no idea what first place used, but I know for sure that you can do very well with not that much. It's a lot like bridges or towers or wright stuff. Nobody has some sort of $3000 precision balsa-gluing machine. In fact, I think it would be a good idea for wind power to, instead of being on-sight, have a specific list of allowed materials. Like:
  • wood
  • glue
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Paradox21 wrote:I would actually like to see an on-site build. You definitely can make a pretty good design; however they wouldn't be as good as what we saw last year. But what I didn't like about last year was that some teams had access to some very expensive tools and were able to machine precision blades (or just 1 blade). An on-site build would limit everyone to the same materials and tools which would make things much more fair.
I don't think it would be that bad. In 6 days, we built an assembly out of cardboard, CD, and hot glue. We got 5th at states.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”