Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
bonussurfer
Division: C
State: KY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by bonussurfer »

pumptato-cat wrote: May 6th, 2023, 7:38 pm Or that not-regularly scheduled cramming for ap exams...
5 1/2 days left :(
Take care of yourself! :roll: I've been in a similar situation, it's not easy and difficult, I honestly understand you. I want to share what helped me distract myself video games, movies, reading books, and articles. I really enjoy reading this info-portal about new games, movies, etc. And most importantly, do not despair. In time all will pass. I know that time heals everything.
Last edited by bonussurfer on May 12th, 2023, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaspattack
Division: Grad
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

Good luck to everyone taking APs this time of year! May the mental anguish be minimal.
These users thanked the author jaspattack for the post (total 2):
LittleMissNyan (May 7th, 2023, 6:33 pm) • pumptato-cat (May 7th, 2023, 9:22 pm)
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
onshape
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by onshape »

let's start the debate on ap precalculus on here while we're on the topic of aps

pros:
an extra ap class not previously one
potential college credit
more standardized math format

cons:
extra cost (for those that pay for aps)
little teacher choice
little need for college credit if calculus is taken
emphasis on examination rather than mathematical reasoning

I'm on the (very unpopular) side that we shouldn't have it.
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"In the beginning was rhythm." -Hans von Bulow
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Oh my god.
As someone who's taking precalc this year I'm annoyed because uh I just got cheated out of an AP credit basically?????
I'm basically getting punished for taking the class early because even though the content and workload is very similar--people who take the class one year later will have that credit while I won't. Also, I feel like the content is less suited for being an AP course and exam. Adding on to what onshape said, it's literally straight memorization with no reasoning, while what I hear about AB/BC/stats is different. But then again, I haven't taken those APs so I can't really make an opinion.
(Pls don't attack me I'm just worried about college apps and course credit and GPA inflation and all that mess 😭)
Last edited by pumptato-cat on May 9th, 2023, 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
bangtanarmy7
State: AL

Post by bangtanarmy7 »

I think my school is really weird in the context that we have the option to take precalc, honors precalc, or AP precalc. It's something that they implemented this year, but I'm not really sure how it's gonna work because what's the point in having an AP version of an honors course? So far I haven't found anyone in favor of it.
💜💜

"Sometimes clouds have two sides, a dark and light, and a silver lining in between. It's like a silver sandwich. So, when life seems hard, take a bite out of the silver sandwich."- Sokka
onshape

Post by onshape »

pumptato-cat wrote: May 9th, 2023, 3:52 pm Oh my god.
As someone who's taking precalc this year I'm annoyed because uh I just got cheated out of an AP credit basically?????
I'm basically getting punished for taking the class early because even though the content and workload is very similar--people who take the class one year later will have that credit while I won't. Also, I feel like the content is less suited for being an AP course and exam. Adding on to what onshape said, it's literally straight memorization with no reasoning, while what I hear about AB/BC/stats is different. But then again, I haven't taken those APs so I can't really make an opinion.
(Pls don't attack me I'm just worried about college apps and course credit and GPA inflation and all that mess 😭)
That does make sense. People often emphasize the importance of AP on college apps but they're not too necessary. College credit - that makes sense if you're not taking AB or BC. GPA inflation just gives an extra bonus for being ahead in math, which doesn't seem practical. Also, when everyone's taking this AP, then that's even more of a GPA inflation mess.
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

I guess what I was annoyed about was that people who take AP precalc will have a GPA boost I won't, even though we have the same course and same content. But then again, I'll be taking AP calc so I don't need the boost.
This is probably test anxiety(exam tomorrow) making me overthink stuff 💀
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
randomdogonapc
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by randomdogonapc »

Oh good luck on your test!
just a random dog on a pc
onshape

Post by onshape »

pumptato-cat wrote: May 10th, 2023, 5:41 am I guess what I was annoyed about was that people who take AP precalc will have a GPA boost I won't, even though we have the same course and same content. But then again, I'll be taking AP calc so I don't need the boost.
This is probably test anxiety(exam tomorrow) making me overthink stuff 💀
One thing about AP classes I'm not a fan of. The point of AP is to learn more, not to have an extra +1 to your GPA. It also probably attracts a lot more people to the classes, making them overall less enjoyable. I just don't see the point of creating a more advanced class that already exists. But that does make sense, I've heard loads of sophomores (or I suppose people taking Precalc this year) say the same thing but I suppose I don't understand as a current Algebra 2 person.
onshape

Post by onshape »

I bet I could get a top 20 or so at the national AP General Curriculum Contest (APGen CC that sounds good) as of now. Unfortunately, that contest doesn't exist and knowing the 8 units of apes isn't going to help at all

with anything
Last edited by onshape on May 13th, 2023, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat”