Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by BennyTheJett »

bernard wrote: December 15th, 2021, 7:00 pm
BennyTheJett wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:50 pm
theoneandonly wrote: June 17th, 2008, 10:12 pm Does 'Daily' Random Comment mean every 24 hours or just every calendar day?
Random return of this question from 2008 just for funsies :)
Apparent time moves slower now…
Indiggity Dums, Bernard.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
raytay
State: TN
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by raytay »

Didn’t do as badly on the ACT as I thought I did yay :D
Hello! I’m Oliver!
✨holy cow i’m a college student ✨
Chin up! You are loved <3
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: WI

Post by gz839918 »

raytay wrote: December 21st, 2021, 9:11 am Didn’t do as badly on the ACT as I thought I did yay :D
WOOOOOO HECK YEAH you're on a roll!!

Okay so I learned this thing from a friend yesterday and this blew my mind: so the Marquis de Lafayette, of American revolutionary war fame, was called Lafayette because he was from the House of The Fayette (aka La Fayette in French). Like, all this time I thought that Lafayette was just a funny surname he had, but it was actually one of those fancy old French names the whole time :o
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
MahathiR
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Post by MahathiR »

raytay wrote: December 21st, 2021, 9:11 am Didn’t do as badly on the ACT as I thought I did yay :D
good job :)
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS
Has thanked: 0

Post by Schrodingerscat »

Oh! "D7" is not the same as "Dmaj7": that explains why all my Christmas music was sounding dissonant... (I was taught in the very traditional copy all the notes from the page onto the keyboard, now I'm dabbling in playing based on just the melody and chord names).
These users thanked the author Schrodingerscat for the post:
LittleMissNyan (December 25th, 2021, 7:58 am)
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by gz839918 »

Yeah, chord notation can be very strange and messy to work with, and it's good to hear that you got that figured out!

On the topic of music, I've recently discovered that LEGO Friends has surprisingly delightful music for a kid's TV show: https://youtu.be/5hIokDUwhck.

Carmel High School ’19
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
donjuanpond
Division: C
State: WA

Post by donjuanpond »

I'm here to do 2 main things, firstly to post my actual message and secondly to explain my absence because I felt this was a good idea while writing the message and now while editing it seems really dumb but whatever I'm posting this message before I lose the nerve.

Basically, I was iterating through ilwag's YouTube channel out of boredom and I found a song called "morning coffee" in one of the videos (hyperlink of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stqyCF3q1LE) which goes from 8:06 to 9:03 and is also literally the same thing as this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P50AX83SUqo but it's called morning coffee, so I felt morally obligated to post it on this thread. Also, now in editing I realize this sounds kind of creepy and stalkerish, so I apologize for that. Also, I should probably tag @MorningCoffee or u/MorningCoffee or whatever I don't remember how to tag people or if there even is a tag functionality.

Now I shall explain my absence from the Scioly forums if anyone cares (hopefully this also makes the above paragraph sound less weird). Basically, I took a break from SO for a year, for both voluntary and involuntary reasons - voluntary because I was really burned out from last year's SO where I grinded for several hours daily and severely harmed my own mental health, and involuntary because I took the online option for school this school year because of a younger sibling too young to be vaccinated, and my school district's online option is effectively a whole different school but I do everything through courses in Apex Learning (google it if you want to know more). Basically, the online school was set up to only handle a few people as the district didn't expect for the whole delta wave in the summer to happen and cause a ton of people to sign up for online, so it doesn't recieve district funding for clubs and extracurriculars such as SO, so I was pretty much barred from participating. Because of the voluntary reasons above, I don't know if I would've still participated even if I had the chance to, but I think I would have just at a more casual level. Regardless, this break from SO in general just made me stop using the forums for a while.

I don't think anyone really either cares or remembers/knows who I am but anyways thank you for coming to my ted talk. Also, I was thinking of making a whole forum/chat/whatever in the off-topic forums about burnout, but I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea since this is a place for people to get help about SO and not to get discouraged, but if anyone thinks that's a good idea, please let me know. Also, now that I think about it, there might already be a mental health forum but I'm too lazy to check

Thanks for coming to my ted talk and reading my nightmare of a message.
These users thanked the author donjuanpond for the post (total 2):
LittleMissNyan (December 30th, 2021, 8:06 am) • MorningCoffee (January 6th, 2022, 11:35 am)
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by gz839918 »

donjuanpond wrote: December 28th, 2021, 8:32 am I don't think anyone really either cares or remembers/knows who I am but anyways thank you for coming to my ted talk. Also, I was thinking of making a whole forum/chat/whatever in the off-topic forums about burnout, but I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea since this is a place for people to get help about SO and not to get discouraged, but if anyone thinks that's a good idea, please let me know. Also, now that I think about it, there might already be a mental health forum but I'm too lazy to check
Hey! I remember you! Welcome back!
donjuanpond wrote: December 28th, 2021, 8:32 am Now I shall explain my absence from the Scioly forums if anyone cares (hopefully this also makes the above paragraph sound less weird). Basically, I took a break from SO for a year, for both voluntary and involuntary reasons - voluntary because I was really burned out from last year's SO where I grinded for several hours daily and severely harmed my own mental health, and involuntary because I took the online option for school this school year because of a younger sibling too young to be vaccinated, and my school district's online option is effectively a whole different school but I do everything through courses in Apex Learning (google it if you want to know more). Basically, the online school was set up to only handle a few people as the district didn't expect for the whole delta wave in the summer to happen and cause a ton of people to sign up for online, so it doesn't recieve district funding for clubs and extracurriculars such as SO, so I was pretty much barred from participating. Because of the voluntary reasons above, I don't know if I would've still participated even if I had the chance to, but I think I would have just at a more casual level. Regardless, this break from SO in general just made me stop using the forums for a while.
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through that! Online learning is honestly such a frustration to work with, because it walls you off from the classmates who could have been great friends, and I'd imagine it must have been extra tough too with the budget problems for online stuff you mentioned. If you had to take time away from Science Olympiad to let your mental health recover, there's no shame in that! Nobody chose to be in a pandemic, and you showed great strength by staying at home to protect your sibling and enduring virtual learning.

We don't have an active mental health thread on the forums, and while we have a Discord channel for blowing off steam, none of us are mental health experts though we like to comfort people if we can. We do have document of mental-health resources if you're looking for ways to get help or just improve your own mental wellness.

I hope you have a wonderful new year very soon! 2021 may not have been the best, but here's to a new year with new hopes as we march forever onwards towards the future.
These users thanked the author gz839918 for the post:
LittleMissNyan (December 30th, 2021, 8:06 am)

Carmel High School ’19
raytay
State: TN

Post by raytay »

Holy moly a ton just happened in the course of a few days and long story short, I’m no longer attending my school, which is a good thing since I had been unhappy there for, like, 4 years, but that also means no Science Olympiad this year :(
Hello! I’m Oliver!
✨holy cow i’m a college student ✨
Chin up! You are loved <3
LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by LittleMissNyan »

raytay wrote: January 5th, 2022, 7:17 pm Holy moly a ton just happened in the course of a few days and long story short, I’m no longer attending my school, which is a good thing since I had been unhappy there for, like, 4 years, but that also means no Science Olympiad this year :(
whoaaa good for you! minus the no scioly part :(
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt

Return to “General Chat”